Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

repoman

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 October, 2020, 08:06:59 AM
THE MEG; more like THE MEH!

Aggressively sanitised and generic.

I saw it in the cinema and it was a waste of time and money.  It had less blood than Jaws.  Ridiculous decision.  Especially the bit at the beach.

TordelBack

The Meg is very weak beer indeed.  As I probably commented on this very thread before,  the best (only good?) thing in it is Pim's cover of 'Hey Mickey'.

Apestrife

Escape from New York Saw it in a local cinema. Still a classic. Lean and mean. 

Rately

Quote from: Apestrife on 14 October, 2020, 05:45:36 AM
Escape from New York Saw it in a local cinema. Still a classic. Lean and mean.

What a movie. Incredible soundtrack, and Movie's greatest ever anti-hero.

Pretty sure this was another Moviedrome watch.

For my money, that final shot as Plissken walks off, tearing the cassette tape to bits is my favourite movie moment of all time. Just the camera pause, and him continuing off the shot.

Colin YNWA

Okay I'm going to say this. Then grab my things and run for cover. I loved 'Escape from New York', loved it... but last time I watched it - a few years ago now. I thought it had aged terribly and I thought it was pretty weak...

Sound track is great mind...

... right I'm leggin' it...

Rately

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 October, 2020, 10:15:00 AM
Okay I'm going to say this. Then grab my things and run for cover. I loved 'Escape from New York', loved it... but last time I watched it - a few years ago now. I thought it had aged terribly and I thought it was pretty weak...

I will FIND you, Colin...

pictsy

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 October, 2020, 10:15:00 AM

I'm with you on this.  It is far from Carpenters best work. 

At least it isn't Escape from L.A.

Rately

I'm now putting the re-watch off, whilst tracking down Pictsy as well!

repoman

Escape from NY is great.  Harry Dean Stanton was a treasure.  LA was proper gash though.

The fact that it doesn't make my John Carpenter top 5 shows how great he was.

Hawkmumbler

Carpenters best work remains PRINCE OF DARKNESS, closely followed by IN THE MOUTH Of MADNESS. Few big budget horror movies have managed to grasp the concept of Liggotian existential dread, insignificance and helplessness.

The aforementioned to so to such a degree they rewrote the cinematic book on how to depict cosmic horror on screen.

Rately

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 15 October, 2020, 12:52:38 PM
Carpenters best work remains PRINCE OF DARKNESS, closely followed by IN THE MOUTH Of MADNESS. Few big budget horror movies have managed to grasp the concept of Liggotian existential dread, insignificance and helplessness.

The aforementioned to so to such a degree they rewrote the cinematic book on how to depict cosmic horror on screen.

Two amazing movies. I really need to get around to a re-watch of In The Mouth Of Madness.

Recently re-watched Prince Of Darkness, and it is just a stunning movie. Creeping dread!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Prince of Darkness is a great movie. Nice Alice Cooper cameo too, which usually involves anyone I am watching saying "nah, it's not" and me disproving them.
Lock up your spoons!

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 15 October, 2020, 12:52:38 PM
Prince of Darkness remains my personal favourite Carpenter, but I still think The Thing is objectively his best work. Still those two (with the slightly more flawed In the Mouth of Madness getting the bronze) would be my Carpenter top three.

Rately

Thoughts on They Live?

Probably the most bonkers movie in a Library of bonkers!

He made an all time classic in Halloween, and i don't even think that touches my Carpenter Top 5.

True, some of his movies probably come across dated, old fashioned, but i still thrill when i hear the synth music hit in, knowing that despite the fact I've seen the movie a hundred times, i'll still have enjoyment in taking it in again.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Thing is our household's favourite.

Followed by...

Halloween
Prince of Darkness/ Mouth of Madness (depending on mood)

Halloween has aged terribly, whereas The Thing has matured well.
Lock up your spoons!