Main Menu

Duke Nukem Forever

Started by Emp, 11 June, 2011, 06:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emp

Duke is back ...and its about bloody time!

Politically incorrect and with one liners that would make Arnie wince its as fun as it ever was. The game itself is challenging as bosses tend to kick cars and shit about that means theres is always the need for a different plan each time they kill you.

I really like it, or maybe i'm just biased cus its Duke :D

Now for the gripes:

Bloody checkpoint saving, the single worst thing ever introduced to an FPS.

Stolen from Halo the idea that you can only carry 2 weapons and yer a bit fucked if you chose wrong.Always loved the old Duke games for the aburdity of carrying every weapon you could lay yer hands on.

Its obviously been designed for the console market, with whole area being based on driving.And on the console thing the PC version comes with a manual, all well and good til you get to the controls bit which states "this manual refers to the Microsoft 360 controller! Which is a bit like buying a DVD player and getting the manual for a car stereo!(Yes you can see the keyboard settings in game but that doesn't make it any less a waste of paper.)

All in all its Duke so i'll play it, i mean only been 12 years since his last outing!

Greg M.

My copy is winging its way to me, I too am an inveterate fan of Duke, so it's good to hear it is hitting the spot with the likeminded. I felt I had to go for the 'Balls of Steel' edition to get me a Duke bust and all the other crazy crap that comes with it. Checkpoint saving sounds like a really daft idea for a game like Duke though (assuming it's much like Duke3D where exploration and mucking about were as important, if not more so, than actually completing levels.)

Emp

The general mucking about is even more important now as plaing pinball or lifting weights in a gym actually increase your EGO(health).

the checkpoints are annoying but less so than other games as they are reasonably well spaced.

mogzilla

was looking forward to this but i felt a bit let down :| the graphics seem a bit jumpy on my rented copy and you dont get a gun for ages in general just felt a bit flat ,not my cuppa.

Mudcrab

Mine's on the way. Big fan of the first one anyway, especially for old deathmatches n insults n all
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

antodonnell

I was looking forward to this a lot and will pick it up soon. Going by all the reviews I'm starting to feel I'll be disappointed.

Dr Feeley Good

Mine hasn't turned up from zavvi.... >:(

strontiumdawg

I can only comment on the PC version and my rig is getting pretty dated but what i have played so far seems good for a laugh :)

I don't know if i'll grab it for xbox new I may wait for some pre-owned ones to appear :D

Noisybast

Quote from: Lobster Doug on 12 June, 2011, 12:46:42 AM
Mine's on the way. Big fan of the first one anyway, especially for old deathmatches n insults n all

Nah, the deathmatch was limited on the first one... ;)

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Van Dom

I had one Duke Nukem game for the PC years ago, the 3D one, and I loved it, though I never did get to the end of it. He's a funny bastard though and if this was out on the Wii I'd probably get it. Don't have an Xbox, sadly. Maybe its time Santa left something for Daddy for this year. Just for a change!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Hegel

Eurogamer just gave this 3 out of 10    :o

Stunning considering the usual love in with the development studio.

GordonR

I loved Duke Nukem, back in the day......but those ads on TV don't half make it look naff and dated, with graphics that just look straight-out ugly.

bluemeanie

I'm enjoying it but it does feel a bit like a cool game from 5 years ago that I'm only just getting around to. Graphics wise (played on a maxed out pc) its not the prettiest but as the last shooter I played was Crysis 2 the bar was pretty damn high.

The main thing for me is that its got the dumb sense of humour the last one had but THIS one doesnt give me slight motion sickess like that did. Would probably peg it as a rent rather then a buy tho as not sure it'll have much replayability once I've worked through all the jokes.
You have to love a game though where the opening 3 minutes has you take a piss, throw crap at the walls and draw cocks on a special ops white board....  oh come on, you all did it!   :D

Goaty

Hearing the Demo out this week... Not sure getting it?

But enjoy the Duke Nukem 3D on my iPhone!