Main Menu

Isn't the song "Light my Fire " one cool tune!

Started by Thread Zero, 05 May, 2002, 02:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Well then we really need to invent another term for the cuurent junk. As in, thinks like the crap Jackson churned out latterly, as opposed to some of the early stuff.

I'm not a beatles fan, either! :p

Thread Zero

Rambo,

I do agree that most pop is souless, bland. I feel that the production of most pop ia what lets it down.

You know, on Radio One a week or so ago, a band did a live session of S club 7's 'Don't Stop'. I forget the name of the group but they did has a  song out which had the line 'your daddy was an alcoholic'. Anyway they did a guitar version of Don't Stop and it was pretty cool.

My point being, pop can have great melodies.You can take the cheesiest pop song, give it to real musicians and it can become great.

Great songs can work be they pop, rock, indie etc. The structure of the song is key.

I also do a bit of songwriting too you see.

scojo plug plug!

sigu

"a band did a live session of S club 7's 'Don't Stop'"

I think it was Starsailor on Jo Whiley's show. Travis' version of "Hit Me Baby One More Time" is good too.

By the way, Scojo, you are dead right about Dancing Queen.

SiG

Thread Zero

In fact you could argue that the greatest songs of the last century were pop!

I am referring to the melodies rather than the actual sound of the music.

Look at Oasis.
All they did was take the purity of pop and put it over an indie sound. Clever guy was Noel!

Ok here's a bet. Take your all time fave group, and give them a really insipid yet catchy pop song to cover and I bet you will love it!

Any decent pop song. How about the recent song by pop group Blue. Think it was called 'Hard for me'. It was an uptempo track. Great pop song I felt. Or that last song by Sophie Ellis Bextor: 'Murder on the dance floor'. Let your fave group cover it and odds are, it will sound pretty cool.

If the pop writers of today used real musicians who can play piano, guitars etc, instead of dance beats generated by computer, you'd hear truly great music.

scojo

Thread Zero

Ok Rambo, I got the perfect song to test my theory.

Electric Dreams by the Human League. 1980's classic pop song.

I don't know what sort of music you're into, but imagine your fave group singing that pop song.

Marilyn Manson recently had his biggest chart success in the uk, covering Tainted Love by Soft Cell. Another classic pop song that can be sung in the style of S club 7 (not a good idea!) or as a goth tune!

See my point?
The tune is king.

God, I go on someimes, don't I!:)

scojo

Tex Hex

Nope. Marilyn "god of fuck" Mansons success is soley due to these nu-metal kids becoming the Neo-ned and taking control of the charts (and streets). (cf slipknots recent number one album). I would rather have proper "classic" neds on the street and in control of the charts any day. Buckfast anyone..?

As for the tune being king, did anyone hear machine heads cover of message in a bottle..? It suckeroonied.

Sorry. Im just soooo against nu-metal and its followers., which may be biasing me somewhat. Long live Metallica.

Dont even get me started on  "Emo"...

esoteric ed

I tend not to get into debates over music as it's whatever lights your fire, so to speak!

I have to say Dancing Queen in humble opinion is one of the finest examples of classic pop music.

As for Oasis... I have to say I like some of their material, but there's a band, friends of ours hear in Liverpool called The Real People, anyone who knows of this band should know what's coming here...

Chris and Tony from the Real People met some Manchester chappie/roadie who befriended them, he told them him and his brother wanted some help producing his new band and sound, Chris and Tony, helped Noel and Liam with their demos and sound and even sang on/wrote some of their material notably "Supersonic" and "Rockin' Chair", like I said I enjoy some Oasis material, but anyone who wants (in my opinion) more superior and overlooked material without the media circus check them out, David Bowie has, that's why The Real People are supporting him in Manchester in July.

I do my own electronic tracks too, link below for free downloads and streams, hope you like them.

Enjoy

Ed

Link: http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/EequalsMC2/" target="_blank">E=MC2

Mudcrab

But most of the Beatles stuff is utter shite too/ Hmm, lets see. "Polly said to whoever, fuckin singing in the band" Utter shite!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Mudcrab

Christ, are you not sick of Metallica yet??? One money grabbing scum sucking european twat winging on  and and on and on and on about Napster, another who now that he's decided to speak is quite obviously a raving queer. They're heads are up their own arses these days. And to think I've shaken hands with them. Sheesh!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Mudcrab

Not one of their best at all. Pop nonsense designed only to get the majority of morons buying their records to that they can make a living out of making real music.

And wankers, sorry shirtlifters like Will Young are showing the British charts up for the sham that they are. Who gives a toss what every 8 year old gets programmed to listen to, or all the pathetic tone deaf bitches out there that buy the shit for their spawn.

New Korn single's good innit?
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Rambo

I was pissed off mind, about the new Oasis one.

Why? Airtime. I know I went to the US for a couple of weeks, but when I came back it had been to and plunged from number one. I've only heard it on the radio 3 f*cking times!

Now, I've been working 12 hour nighshifts with the radio on constantly. I must have heard that "kiss-kiss" by that neibours lass about 2 million bloody times before it was released - so why not the Hindu Times? It's a good tune! Come ON! OK, it's not "Cigarettes and Alchohol" or "Champagne Supernova" but it beats the living sh*t out of most of the bollox that's in the charts.

It's not the melody of something most of the time - it's the arrangement that makes or breaks it. I mean, come on, let's have some music. Let's have some electric frigging guitars being thrashed to buggery with some monster riffs, not a bunch of pre-pubescent puffs miming to a computer-played sickly-sweet empty arrangement.

I see even that Iglesias or whatever the smeg his name is can't sing without headphones and an echo chamber. His dad'll be turning in his grave.

El Spurioso

"As for the tune being king, did anyone hear machine heads cover of message in a bottle..? It suckeroonied."

I think it's pretty cool, actually...  Certainly not Machinehead's best number, but it kicks the living shite out of the Police version.

Although I do agree that the 'metalised pop=great' theory isn't true.  Anybody who's heard 'Sugarcoma' doing a cover of Britney's 'You drive me crazy' will appreciate just how apallingly dreadful Nu-metal can be and, frequently, is.  Watching a bunch of puppy-fat suited 13 year old girls trying to shout angrily in voices far deeper than any woman should be able to generate does NOT good rock make.

Adrian Bamforth

That cover version couldn't be worse if it were sung by Vonda Shepherd.

ADE

2000AD Online

For starters, the Human League did not sing 'Together In Electric Dreams'. It was Phil Oakey with some chap whose name escapes me at the moment. Good uplifting tune, mind.

And didn't the Doors themselves cover 'Light My Fire'? I know for a fact that Soft Cell's version of 'Tainted Love' is not the original.

Kisses on the bottom.

Not 'alf, mate.

esoteric ed

It was Phil Oakey and Giorgio Moroder.

Tainted Love was originally a Northern Soul hit for Gloria Jones, also (in)famous for crashing Marc Bolan's car into a tree and killing him.

Ed

Link: http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/EequalsMC2/index-0.html" target="_blank">E=MC2