Main Menu

Cookies

Started by Anemic_Newt, 14 January, 2002, 12:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anemic_Newt

Wake,
Why do we need to log-in each time we come to the site? Would it be possible to creeate a section of code - probably using a cookie so we are automatically recognised. It would just be much quicker, that's all.

Lazy Newt

Wake

There is a cookie. What Browser/OS are you using. I find that in Netscape I have to sign in again if the browser crashes, but MSIE is usually okay. Previous people emailing me with this problem using MSIE have discovered that they have set the security for cookies too high on their own browser.

I may not be using the best code for creating and destroying cookies, which is why they may be more temporamental than for other sites.

Cheers,

Wake

Thread Zero

I love cookies.

But jaffa cakes are even better.

scojo clearly unfunny

Anemic_Newt

I use Windows ME with MSIE 5.5. Havn't adjusted any settings from how it installed itself. When I go to a site I use regularly such as Friens reunited or Amazon It automatically recognises who I am stright away. Whenever I come to the 2000AD site I always have to log in again and again and again...
Autocomplete works but this just seems to be very long winded. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
The Newt

who dislikes Jaffa Cakes and much prefers cookies

Wake

Please go to Tools - Internet Options - Privacy and tell me what level your's is set at. I have mine at 'Low'.

Try it at this level and see if you still have to sign in every time.

Cheers,

Wake

Anemic_Newt

Just checked it was on medium. I have now placed 2000AD in my trusted sites where it is set to low. Hopefully this will work. However I couild not find a section for "Privacy." Did you mean Security?

Anemic_Newt

See post on Virus Alert for why I am now worried about setting this site to a low level of security. Do I need to worry, O wise webmaster?

Wake

I doubt the virus (I know Scojo had Badtrans a while back, but didn't know he still had it) has anything to do with the cookie security.

All the cookie does is save a file with your username on your computer. If you can get this working using a trusted site option rather than the default level then so much the better.

Different versions of MSIE may put the cookie security levels in different places.

Cheers,

Wake

Anemic_Newt

Have just come back after a break for 1/2 hr. Still had to log in in full. Oh well guess I'm just stupid or something! I'll just have to put up with this

Thread Zero

I was just looking at this thread again. I know little about  et and pc technology, but I never have to log in to use this site, Newt. I have a Pentium 3, 866 mhz pc with Windows Millennium.

What I do is just put this message board in my favourite section and hey, bingo, I never log in!

I don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd share it.

scojo who is still badtrans free
Blooming virus....moan...etc