Main Menu

VOTING - We demand disproportionate representation

Started by paulvonscott, 12 February, 2002, 06:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Even though I entered cryogenic sleep in order to avoid the trivialities of the mundane world, it appears my thermostat is knackered and the year I have awoken in is not 2525 and so I shall not get to see if the prophesy has come to pass.

I have however noticed that the voting system could be better.  When I vote for shakara it's a bit of a dilemma.  I think the arts great and the story is okay, so I give it somewhere inbetween.  It would be much better if you could vote for the art and then vote for the script, the combination of the two votes would give you the rating for the strip.

Now as humans tend to fear change (as I fear Great Expectations by Charles Dickens) you could easily (ha) make the change by splitting the votes in two.  So if you've already voted shakara an 8, it means that you have an 8 for script and an 8 for art,  But that person could go change it.  People could still just vote an overall score if they wished.

On another point I think it is fair enough to say that X script is good and X art is bad, however rating actually droids themselves seems a bit harsh.

Now I must return to fashioning my fantabulous spacecraft from the innards of a gigantic croccodile.  I shall travel to new worlds, made of all manner of dairy products (see my essay: The Milky Way - Is it really made of Milk and if so what are the effects on that milk of solar radiation).

So I depart, but I shall return and bring with me cheeses that mankind cannot even dream of!

ETC

Thread Zero

Poor old PVS.

He really has lost his mind!:O)

scojo

JTurner

I vote for a simple voting sistem.

Zarjaz

Crap

Wardog

Thread Zero

Funny one Jacob!

I er... actually like Wardog. I really do.

Does that make me sad?

scojo

Thread Zero

Hey Pveeesy mate,

Here's how to solve your dilemma.

Say you like Shakara's art, yes? You give it 8 out of 10. But you think the story is a bit naff, say a 4 out of 10.

Do a compromise and give it a 6 out of 10.

Hope that helps.

scojo

paulvonscott

Hang on... just fitting the photon sifter to the tail... there we go... aha!

I did say that is what I do at the moment.  

Compromise.

Compromise?

Compromise!

Did Winston Churchill compromise with Adolf?!  Did I compromise on buying the finest of gigantic crocodiles and the best Mogahangon parts?!  

I'm not sure I like your 'I can't believe it's not butter' talk!

Well, anyway, when it comes to saying was this series a success or why was this series a success, it would mean that it would be easier to actually look at it and say, yeah people loved the art but not the script, lets put that artist on this new project, or people didn't like the art, lets try a different style on the strip.  Not that it does influence anyone with even the slightest watt of power, but the idea is there.  

As I said, it would be here for people who wanted to use it, otherwise the other could carry on as before.

Lasers for Eyes!

Wood

Actually, I thought separate art/story votes was a great idea.

Take, for example, a true stinker like Harlem Heroes II - story indescribable, great art by Steve Dillon and Kex Walker. Or JD: Crusade (which I quite liked, actually, but which a lot of people here seem not to) - whatever you think of the story, it was painted by Mick Austin, one of the unsung greats.

It means that your true thrill suckers - those which fail on both grounds, REALLy get recognised.

Alternatively, the Zarjaz/Scrotnig/NonScrot/Quaequam Blag! rating system idea has merits too...

paulvonscott

In addition to the scores it could say the Tharg rating

E.g

Halo Jones - 9.3 Zarjaz! (Art 9.3, Script 9.3)

1-2 Quaequam Blag!
3-4 NonScrot
5-6 Scrotnig
7-8 Gahfflebette
9-10 Zarjaz

Or something like that but better thought out.

As I said before, judge people by their works, remove the droid ratings.  You Could have all their stories (and ratings) on their profiles and that would give you an idea of how good they are.

Wea art talking about a hugely complex system, just comprehensive.

Oh, and anybody want 600 pounds of crocodile innards and a blunt cheese knife?

fraston

"Oh, and anybody want 600 pounds of crocodile innards and a blunt cheese knife? "

yes please. the curry needs something and i think that's it.

paulvonscott

Okay, I'll stick it all in the fridge and when my crocodile is airworthy I'll drop it round.  I'm afraid the intestines have gone in the bin, but it does seem a shame to waste the offal.

Captain PVS
(of the first interplanetary crocodile missions)