Main Menu

Deathtrap Dungeon movie?

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 May, 2011, 08:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Deathtrap Dungeon was the first one I bought - one wet holiday in Brean -  must have been 1984?  From there, all geekness followed.  I mean, I liked 2000AD, but that was about the extent of my geekdom before that darned book!

Sorcery are just brilliant - John Blanche can do no wrong in them there books.

I think my trajectory of interest followed HOUs... I suspect the farming out of the books to other writers made them all a bit inconsistent in tone, and the art dived somewhat with notable exceptions in the 10-20+ range i recall, leadiWng me to move on - Lone Wolf lasted a but longer I think in my affections, given one writer and a couple of good artists

mygrimmbrother

Wow, looking at the photos of those covers just brought back a surge of geeky delight. I carbooted my 20+ FF books years ago, and of course now wish I hadn't - if only for hte illustrations. I have very fond memories of Russ Nicholson's dazzling linework in particular.

Ancient Otter

Here's the blog for Russ Nicholson:

Ancient Otter

Blast! This link should have been in this last post:

http://russnicholson.blogspot.com/

You guys know the a lot Fighting Fantasy books were rereleased twice in the last few years, with some new additions?

http://www.fightingfantasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=9

The Advance Fighting Fantasy rulebooks have just been rereleased too:

http://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es113347_shop/Categories/Advanced_Fighting_Fantasy

And the Lone Wolf gamebooks have got rereleased & revised (storywise) in hardback deluxe format and a roleplaying game has been released too:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=24

So there's a bit of interest in this stuff still...

Spaceghost

I've just ordered the re-released Deathtrap Dungeon book from Amazon off the back of all this nostalgia.

It was only three pounds and change. Me and my lad are going to enjoy playing through it together.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

zombemybabynow

citidal of chaos was pretty arsom

perhaps a dvd feature could be incorporated with the forward and back button in regard what choice you took?!

think i saw a homage in the simpsons or was it family guy recently - where the protagonist protested that had still had his finger on the page and could therefore choose the other option
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Tiplodocus

If you thought "That joke would have been funny if they'd stopped hammering it into the ground ten minutes ago" then you were watching Family Guy.

If you thought "That joke would have been funny five years ago" then you were watching The Simpsons.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

goochoid

Glad you are all interested in the Deathtrap Dungeon movie - I wrote the screenplay!

I met Ian Livingstone a few years ago, and suggested that Warlock of Firetop Mountain would make a great movie, but he said Deathtrap Dungeon was his favourite and I should write that.

So I did. I took two years, and Ian L was quite heavily involved, we finally got a script we were happy with - that combines Deathtrap and Trail of the Champions as well, as they were both set in the Dungeon,  (a fighting fantasy book isn't actually that long, when you write it out properly), and took it to a few production companies until Mark Holdom got it, read it, liked it, and did an option.

I've tried very hard to make it faithful to the books and interesting to the fans, I love the books, so really want it to be very cool and a success, hoepfully they will get a decent director in who has a clue.

I just finished directing my feature film DEATH - which has a cameo from Ian Livingstone (playing Derek the postman) and the illustrations for the animation were done by Russ Nicholson.

Hopefully if DEATH or Deathtrap Dungeon are a success then Rebellion might let me do the Bad Company movie, that I wrote the screenplay for back in 2008! It's all there sitting in the hard drive waiting for them to let me do something with the rights. Maybe if Dredd is a success then something will happen with lots of 2000AD related stories.

Check out the trailer for DEATH here - http://vimeo.com/22618055

and a bit about the Deathtrap Dungeon screenplay here - http://www.martingooch.com/screenwriting.html

SmallBlueThing

Yay! Always up for a bit of FF. All mine have gone to my eldest- who absolutely loves them, and plays them with the same healthy disrespect for the rules, and lack of dice, as I did. Deathtrap Dungeon is one of his favourites, so I will tell him the news of the movie later.

The Sorcery set was always my favourite. Especially Khare, Cityport of Traps. Groovy!

SBT

vzzbux

@Goochoid.
Will you be doing an interactive Blue Ray so you can play it out like one of the books, ie filming extra bits for failed choices?

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: King Trout on 30 May, 2011, 01:44:41 PM
Now I think of it, I had Forest of Doom, too. That's the one where you could go back on yourself.

SCORPION SWAMP, surely?
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Trout

Ah, it may have been. Thanks, EP.

chris_askham

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 24 June, 2011, 06:49:56 PM
Quote from: King Trout on 30 May, 2011, 01:44:41 PM
Now I think of it, I had Forest of Doom, too. That's the one where you could go back on yourself.

SCORPION SWAMP, surely?

Not necessarily, because at the end of Forest Of Doom I seem to remember if you hadn't completed it properly, you had to walk back around the outskirts of the forest and begin again from section 1.

goochoid

@Vuzzbux-

At the moment it is a stright forward movie - like anything you see in the cinema. But when it gets to DVD/Blue ray I hope there will be about 4 alternate endings, which will cover the last 15 mins of the movie or so, But it's still a while away for even pre-production and anything can happen.

We considered making two films - following two different adventurers through the dungeon, and you could chose who you followed and flip between then, but the problem is you have to shoot twice as much footage and thus your budget skyrockets.

House of Usher

After King Trout was kind enough to do me a swap for some Fighting Fantasy game books I find I have spare copies of The Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Citadel of Chaos. If anyone would like to have my spares, gratis and postage free, please stake your claim in a reply on this thread and send me your address in a private message.
STRIKE !!!