Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 24 April, 2018, 01:11:53 PM
I think it was right when he first appeared, but I definitely did call it out!

As Steve says - even British schoolchidren weren't told about our fascist past - as far as the official line goes, it was all Germans and Italians (with a little bit of Spain thrown in).  Must have been laughing to much to hear you mention - looking forward to the next episode :-)

Lobo Baggins

Quite a lot of the references seem to have been aimed at comic reading parents, IMO.

Oh, and 'The Reversible Man' was the first 2000 AD Story that kept me awake at night thinking about it afterwards.  I was eight years old in 1983.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling ninety-fifth episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1983 Sci-Fi Special of 2000AD. This Special has some great stories featuring Judge Dredd, including one with art by famous comics artist John Byrne, Rogue Trooper, and our all-time favorite Invasion story! QUACK QUACK VOLG!

This episode Conrad is joined by Steve Lacey of the Fantasticast podcast! Every week Steve and co-host Andy Leyland recap an issue of the Fantastic Four or a related comic, and is well worth your time!

Find their show at: http://www.thefantasticast.com/

and find Steve on Twitter where he's @quizlacey

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

WhizzBang

What a treat - thanks Conrad and Steve! I don't have any recollection of this one so it may be one I missed. No crazy Britsh 80's references to clear up on this since Steve was on hand.

SpaceSpinner2000

I must say, having actual English people on the show to explain English things has been one of the unexpected great things about this process!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Steve Green

The Monarch

holy crap what a crossover!

Lobo Baggins

Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing didn't start until January 1984, but by coincidence in 1983 he was singing a jaunty tune alongside Northampton Goth group Bauhaus that includes a line from the 1983 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGL8Fx6SOjg
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling ninety-sixth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 309-312 of 2000AD, covering March and April of 1983. Join us as the Starborn Thing arrives in Mega City One, Skizz gets to know Birmingham, Fort Neuro concludes, and the Chrono Cops enforce time law. Just the facts! Also feel free to celebrate, as we've now covered 15% of 2000AD!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Colin YNWA

Just finished episode 95 and while its fair to say I missed Fox it was great to hear different input and that was another fantastic (no pun intended... well maybe just a little) episode. Think the new format for presenters is going to work a treat!

Dandontdare

This forum has had a ... troublesome ... relationship with John Byrne - he said some very uncomplimentary things about Alan Moore and British creators in general on his own forum (tried to find the thread but couldn't locate it - anyone help?). Someone here (Jim Campbell maybe?) used to keep an eye on his rather bizarre online fiefdom and post some of the more outlandish exchanges and ego trips for our amusement. I get the impression he's a bit of a  dick (but he can draw comics, although I'm not a huge fan of that style - 80s Marvel was all pouches shoulderpads and bad haircuts)

JOE SOAP

Dandontdare

ah yes, thanks - that brings back some memories  :lol:

SpaceSpinner2000

Wow, I had no idea there was so much backstory behind all this!

Andy B

Just reread Skizz for first time in a long time: forgotten just how great it is, and it's aged really well.

Alan Moore really was the master of telling a story in short episodes that have a satisfying structure of their own, but also move the story forwards. His 80s output is so good it just doesn't seem possible for one guy to have done it!

(Just for the record, there are no nuclear power stations in Birmingham, which is as far from the sea as you can get in the UK. Plenty of chimneys, though - birthplace of the Industrial Revolution!)