Main Menu

Anyone still watching Primeval?

Started by The Amstor Computer, 24 February, 2007, 09:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Quite surprised this hasn't been getting a bit more board-love, as it's turning out to be quite a fun sci-fi series.

Tonight's episode was particularly enjoyable, opening with death-by-mosasaur, and following that up with the swift dispatch of a plumber at the hands of some angry birds!

It benefits from generally good performances all round, with a lead who brings some subtlety and depth to a relatively slender character and supporting actors who handle their roles ably. Though the episodes so far are basically "anomaly opens, team investigate, it closes" the writers are developing an interesting story arc tying each event together. It helps that the actors are engaging, and the monsters well-realised - and that the writers are having fun putting them into unusual suburban locations - but the basic framework is pretty solid.

Far more deserving of attention and praise than the Beeb's shitfest, Torchwood (or, indeed, several of the episodes from Series 2 of New Who) especially when it's coming from ITV!

Rob Spalding

I'm still enjoying it.
It's having fun with the premise, and yes, diver death was funny.
Ben Miller's character is coming more into his own.

Plus, Hannah Spearit dancing round in her pants last week, that's what I call Saturday night entertainment!

JOE SOAP

***Ben Miller's character is coming more into his own.***

I tihnk he's the worst thing in it. He also has the worst cliched dialogue. I keep expectin' him to crack a joke.

The FX aren't bad

Dudley

paulvonscott

Well I have tonight's taped for when I'm bored.  I doubt I;d be too bothered if I missed an episode.  

It's fun enough, by no means a great show, but entertaining and daft.

Adrian Bamforth

It's Spearritt-tastic. I like the rather bizarre line the other week, something like:

"This confirms what we thought. The past exists!"

ADE

The Amstor Computer

Heh - I caught that, but on the repeat it sounded like "The past exists as a separate dimension" or something like that. Still not great, though :-)

paulvonscott

As Harry Hill said today, it's ITV's answer to Doctor Who and it's only taken them two years.  Still, better late than never.

paulvonscott

As Harry Hill said today, it's ITV's answer to Doctor Who and it's only taken them two years.  Still, better late than never.

Adrian Bamforth

I though that the small dino was a Carolgeese-esque hand puppet, but dismissed the idea in the age of advanced radio-controlled animatronics. However, kind of glad they recognised the old ways are the best, and Speeritt did some perfectly fine hand acting.

ADEhttp://www.foreverhannahspearritt.com/fhsgallery/albums/gallery/Primeval/2_20_02_07_10_38_27.jpg">

TordelBack

Still fun all the way, and easy on the eyes, despite making absolutely no sense whatsoever.  Why would high levels of oxygen mean it was too dangerous to use guns, but it's okay to use a flamethrower?  Why didn't they ask Helen who the dead body in the Permian was?  Why did the Special Forces scuba-diver "die of shock", rather than, say, drowning?  Who the hell cares, show me some more!  

The Hesperornis were particularly cool zipping about under water.  And is this the first time any show has ever visited the Cretaceous without any kind of dinosaur showing up?

ARRISARRIS

...were did Helen get her eye make up from? and why bother wearing it if theres no-one to see it???...

Quirkafleeg

Well I'm still watching and enjoying it, and looking forward to each week, despite it's daftness (like beasties practically 'flying' underwater - did water have left resistance in the past?). And unlike Who or Torchwood which I watched out of geek duty.

paulvonscott

Yes, water was wetter back then, so it was easier to move through.  In the future, to dry off, people will take a shower, the water will be that dry.

Spotting silly things in Primeval is worth a laugh, my blood presure just went up with Torchwood's flaws.

Still, my SFX letter of the month on the subject, has gotten that out of my system.  I hope it made Russel T Davies cry.

soggy

It's fun but I can't help wondering how long it will take the special forces to realise they need bigger guns.