Main Menu

February Art Comp winners - and suggestions for March

Started by The Amstor Computer, 05 March, 2007, 10:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Very, very delayed (more of which later...) but here are the winners of February's Art Comp:

1st Place -- Johnnystress
2nd Place -- Woolly
3rd Place -- Petemaskreplica

Congratulations to all of you, and thank-you to everyone who took part.

The voting thread saw some... heated... discussion about voting and number of submissions, and after reading what everyone had to say and thinking about it, I'd suggest this:

Boarders should feel free to submit as many pieces as they want - however, one piece must be selected as their nominated entry for voting purposes. Hopefully this one little guideline will let the more prolific boarders entertain us and themselves but keep the voting a little clearer. I hope it sounds fair to everyone involved.

Also spinning out of that thread were several suggestions for the next competition. The three most promising are:

2000AD Culture Clash -- 2K characters in unusual cultural settings - anything from literature, cinema, television etc.

The Big 2000AD Day Off -- what do characters like Devlin Waugh, Dredd or Slaine do away from the "office"? Is Nemesis the Warlock really a sales clerk by day?

Tharg at 30 -- Old Green Bonce has been with the comic for 30 years, in many different guises. Illustrate your favourite version, or best moment, or imagine Tharg in a future/alternate guise.

What do boarders think of these suggestions?

OK, one last thing before I wrap up. I've enjoyed doing this over the past several months, but there are a number of other things going on in my life and time is becoming more and more precious. I just can't guarantee I can give the time anymore - to the comp, or to the 'net in general - and it means that these competitions just aren't getting my attention as much as they should. So, the March comp will be the last I try and organise, but I'd like to see someone take over running the submission and voting threads. Anyone interested, drop me a line by email.

The Amstor Computer

Oh, and to the Wils & Radiator - your stuff is finally on the way. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed your submissions!

Wils

Heh. Cheers.

I've had that much going on lately, I completely forgot (even after your email)!

Buttonman

Seeing as mine is already at the touching up stage I'd go for 'day off' or 'Tharg at 30' but I'm sure it'll fit any tightly worded entry criteria.

Sorry to hear your having to stop your admin Amstor. I'm sure everyone appreciates your efforts and generosity. After last month's spat it'll be a brave man/woman who takes on the mantle!

Oh and well done the winners. Fix as usual etc. etc.

The Monarch

EMPERORBAZ

Hi all,

Just a quick note to let you know that in the latest REDEYE MAGAZINE #6 we've interviews with John Wagner, Matt Smith, WR Logan and Kev Walker on THE CONNECTION/ORIGINS; Steve Yeowell on his career to date; an expansive retrospective on the 2000AD art of Mike McMahon; and a three page opinion piece from Pat Mills on fandom, ahead of his epic interview coming in REDEYE 7 in June.

And there's some other stuff in there as well.

Go take a look at http://www.enginecomics.co.uk" target="_blank">www.enginecomics.co.uk.

Cheers

baz

LARF

ThryllSeekyr

You know I thought the they were almost gonna cancel this.

Dark Jimbo

Conspiracy! JohnnyStress won it, thereby proving beyond a doubt that 54 Jones was right all along. ;-) But I digress...

Nice to see people like my 'day off' idea, I just thought it'd be nice to see the characters doing something, well, out of character for a change.

I'd offer my services for these comps, but seeing as I'd like to keep entering I think it'd be something of a conflict of interests.
@jamesfeistdraws

Lord Running Clam

Just to check, the comps theme this month is going to be the day off?

johnnystress

Genes day off

my first and last entry

i promise

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/johnnystress/gene_beach.jpg">

Woolly

Is that one of his hind legs, or is it a huge dangling cock?

Just kidding dude, its a great pic! :)

Matt Timson

Pffft...

johnnystress

damn your filthy minds

now i see it too

johnnystress