Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Just finished reading Edge's review of Skyward Sword, and I'm well up for it now! It'll be nice to use the Wii for something other than occasionally weighing myself!

It got a 10/10, and while that's not quite the mark of quality it once was (I have very much disagreed with the last few 10s they have awarded - Super Mario Galaxy, Bayonetta, Rock Band 3, Little Big Planet all hugely overrated imo), it's still more than enough to reassure me that this will be something special. If only more games like this had been made for the Wii...

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 July, 2011, 02:07:03 PM
Super Meat Boy, an addictive and frustrating platformer. I thought I was never going to get past the last part of level 3.
I am now on the second last level of this and it is teeth-grindingly hard. I can't even get up into the main bit of the level and I've been trying for about an hour.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

And whenever I've been in need of some light relief over the past few months, I turn instinctively to a quick game of Vorpal. A cool little indie shooter with a neat look which is well worth 80p of anybody's money. At least half of the appeal is in the cheesy trance soundtrack though.
We never really die.

Satanist

Quote from: The Cosh on 28 October, 2011, 12:01:11 AM
Super Meat Boy, an addictive and frustrating platformer. I thought I was never going to get past the last part of level 3.
I am now on the second last level of this and it is teeth-grindingly hard. I can't even get up into the main bit of the level and I've been trying for about an hour.

I know exactly how you feel!

I'm not afraid to say when I finished the last level I hugged my son and almost wept tears of pure joy/relief!

It was about 2 in the morning and he came down stairs to see what all the swearing noise was about.

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I played Pokemon Fire Red today. Had to kill a few hours during a dull shift. The battle mechanics in pokemon games can be tedious, but I find it strangely satisfying. Naming your pokemon using swear words can is as fun as ever.
You may quote me on that.

Robert Frazer

I've been having an outrageous retrogasm with the X-Box Live re-release of Treasure's Guardian Heroes, surely one of the most vivid and vibrant, fluid and formidable, bright and bounding brawlers ever coded. I could barely walk afterwards.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Professor Bear

Uncharted 3 - a solid and accessible platformer elevated by great graphics, fantastic setpiece action sequences, inventive level design, and some great character writing in the script that goes beyond making you just want to kill the hell out of the villains (though you definately will) and makes you really side with the playable characters and get bummed out by one of them biting the dust in the third act.  The script made me think about how games can create spectacular longform and involving narratives in a way that films and television can't because of time and budgetary restraints on either, and like Uncharted 2 it feels like a watershed moment in home entertainment.
Standout moments are the sinking boat, crashing plane, exploding convoy and crumbling city that make you wonder how the main character is allowed to travel anywhere, ever, by any means.  Some minor niggles - we've seen the crumbling city and convoy sequences in the previous game - but the only major one would be that it takes too long to get past the opening flashback sequences into the game proper, though starting with a pub brawl is at least novel.  Great end boss fight, too - not difficult or frustrating, just something to give you closure before the end sequence.

Great game.

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Satanist on 28 October, 2011, 12:28:35 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 28 October, 2011, 12:01:11 AM
I know exactly how you feel! I'm not afraid to say when I finished the last level I hugged my son and almost wept tears of pure joy/relief!
Imagine my delight incandescent fury on finally finishing this a couple of weeks ago only to be confronted with another twenty ultra triple-hard levels all in a sickly shade of pink. Well, I finally made it through those last night and celebrated by dancing a merry jig round the living room and entertaining happy thoughts of buying Arkham City at the weekend.

Then tonight, I found myself idly flicking back through the early worlds replaying the levels I hadn't got the gold medal time on. Only 120 to go...
We never really die.

judge cooper

NAZI ZOMBIES!!!YYYEEEEEEEEEAAAARRRGH

radiator

Currently playing Superman on the iPhone.

Quite a charming little game - very simplistic, but soaring up into the air, through the clouds and into space is guaranteed to put a smile on your face - well worth 69p of anyone's money!

Keef Monkey

Played a couple of hours of Saints Row The Third, and it's just so much damn fun! Was sitting with my headphones on worrying I'd wake Bea any minute I was belly laughing so often. I'm struggling to think of another game (certainly in this generation) that's caused me to laugh like that. The sense of humour is about as juvenile as it gets but I'd hesitate to call it dumb because it's a very well crafted game with a lot of smarts under the hood. It's already obvious that it's a much more technically sound game than SR2, which was fun but mechanically on the edge of breaking at any moment.

So far I love this game, and the Kanye West moment (you'll know it if you've played it) has been one of the best displays of badass awesomeness in a game.

JamesC

Finished the last of the side missions on Arkham City yesterday - now that I have 100% on both the main story and side quests I don't feel guilty about putting it back on the shelf for a bit while I tackle Assassin's Creed: Revelations. Played about 3 hours so far and I'm loving it - there's just so much to do!

Ancient Otter

Picked up Paradroid on the Wii Virtual Store. This is tough, C64 gamers must have been a right hardcore lot!

Zarjazzer

Hydrophobia a sort of cross between Tomb Raider and Die Hard. Good environment destroying fun and some nice easy, hijacking of cctv cameras and frying "terrorists" by remote.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

von Boom

I'm splitting my time between Halo CE Anniversary and Arkham Asylum (I know, late to party). The updated Halo is pretty good, certainly great graphics, but AA is fantastic. I bought Arkham City at the same time and I can't wait to play it.

JvB