Main Menu

***SPOILER-TASTIC Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith Thread***

Started by ukdane, 21 May, 2005, 02:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

I'm going to start this thread, as I know more and more people will see this film, and will want to talk about it, without worrying as to whether something is a spoiler or not.

I'll start by listing the 3 scenes that I can remeber from the comic that weren't in the film- for those that haven't read it...

1) After Palpatine appoints Anakin to be his representative on the Jedi Council, there is a scene with Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and Padm?, basically it's the birth of the rebel alliance- and a scene which I'd imagine fans would have wanted to see. (Episode 2 of the comic adaptation)

2) I can't recall if this scene was in the film or not, it's minor, and not necessary, and there is another scene later, which resembles it (part 4 of the comic book).... After Palpetine tells Anakin the story about Darth Plagueis, Obi-Wan visits Padm? and talks to her about Anakin loving her- in the film (and comic) Anakin later refers to this, after his second flash/dream- when he senses Obi-wan had been in her appartment. (Episode 2 of the comic adaptation)

3) After Palpetine finds Vader's body on Mustafa, There is a scene with Yoda, where he talks to Qui-gon, they are talking about learning Eternal Life, (and basically resolves the Qui-gon death, and the ghosts of Obi, Yoda, and Anakin in the next 3 films). It ties up a thread, so I'm surprised it wasn't included, as it is mentioned by Yoda, in the film, when he talks to Obi-wan after they decide to spilt up the twins. After Yoda finishes talking to him, Bail Organa tells Yoda, that Obi-wan has made contact- which is in the film.(Episode 4 of the comic adaptation)

On the other thread, I mentioned that I expect these scenes to be included in a DVD, and whilst I still hope that they are, I have read on another site, that it is unlikely the Qui-gon scene will appear. Shame!

Anyone know of any film Easter Eggs?

I know there's a Millenium Falcon in the film, and saw it too.

I know that George Lucas appears with his two daughters in the film (but didn't see it)

There is some debate as to whether Padm? at some point shouts "Hayden" instead of "Anakin", as a homage to the Leia/Luke/Mark shout from the first trilogy. (didn't hear it)

Was Boba Fett in the film? What happened to Mon Mothma- anyone see her- or was she just in the cut scene?
Cheers

-Daney

Dan Kelly

Wasn't that impressed last night - and missed the Falcon.  However, as for easter eggs, it's a young Moff Tarkin on the bridge at the end.

And does it really take 20 years to build a Death Star?

Dan

ukdane

I saw Grand Moff too-

I kind of assume that Mustapha was were they got the ore, to make the deathstar, but if it's a lava planet, I guess that can't quite be right.
Cheers

-Daney

Tordelbach

The naffness of the Death Star taking 20 years to build was a bridge we crossed way back in AotC ("The Death Star plans ARE in the Main Computer"), so it didn't bother me as much as it might have, but I suppose it does underscore the sheer size of the undertaking.  The scene in Jedi where the Super Star Destroyer (itself 10km long or someat) slides into the second Death Star like a tiny needle emphsises the fact that this really IS an artificial moon, a completely different scale of construction to anything else in the GFFA and thus unassailable (by conventional means). Even getting that much metal into one place (secretly) beggars belief - I think of the Inhibitors' grand schemes in Reynolds "Redemption Ark" - never mind managing the compression of its own gravitional field etc etc.

One new RotS idea that I love is the notion that it is actually Qui-Gon's (my favourite Jedi of all, the only one who hasn't got his head up hs arse) understanding of the Living Force that makes the first Death Star vulnerable - by allowing Ben to survive death and become "more powerful than you can possibly imagine", Qui-Gon enables the destruction of the first Death Star - in a galaxy without Jedi, the Death Star is impregnable, in a galaxy where the Force can communicate and empower Luke through the avatar of a fallen Jedi, it's wide open .

Equally, the differences between Luke and Ani are painfully (if clumsily) drawn.  Both are lured towards the Dark Side by threats to their loved ones (Padme and Leia), one steps back, while the other falls.  And it is Luke's well-placed faith in his friends (in Han, really), despite the Emperor's taunts, that destroys the second Death Star.  It's only this that allows him to "let go", and refuse to kill Vader.  If he had really thought that he was the only hope of saving the galaxy, would he really have thrown that saber away?  Anakin, trusting no-one, is lost - Luke, trusting the real world of shifty smugglers and hairy co-pilots, is saved.  Cool or what.

Bico

20 years to make the first one, less than four to make the second one.  That's what happens when you use Irish labourers.

When Ben was training Luke in the ways of the force on board the Millenium Falcon (in episode 4) and Han Solo was calling it a load of old wank, how come Chewbacca didn't chip in with "Actually, Han, I once knew a Jedi master called Yoda, and he was hard as fucking nails.  For a muppet, I mean."?

What happened to R2's rockets after Episode 3?  Or that handy snake-like robot arm he could extend with a taser on the end?

Why was General Grevous a mincing coward, whereas previously, he was a Jedi-slaughtering nutter?

How come the gravity on the crashing ship at the start changed once it started to fall towards Coruscant?  Surely, because they were still in space and not subject to the planet's gravity yet, the artificial gravity would always pull things toward the bottom of the ship?

How come those hardened battle-droids were put out of commission by R2 setting a bit of oil on fire?

Wouldn't it have made more sense if those robot things that tore Obi-Wan's ship to bits blew up, instead of taking their time to disable systems on his ship one at a time?

Why was the Emperor so rubbish?

Byron Virgo

Because it's a load of unremitting cack.

"However, as for easter eggs, it's a young Moff Tarkin on the bridge at the end."

What's the point of that without Peter Cushing? Bloody savages...!

Roger Godpleton

Is what Bear said about Jar-Jar "F**king" Binks true?
At the moment, thats just about the only reason for going to see it...
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

ukdane

Jar-jar is nothing more than a background character in this new film.

I always thought Leia was older than Luke. Apparently not!

PB: because it's a film?
Cheers

-Daney

Bico

Sadly, the Jar-Jar thing was only in the Lego Star Wars game and not the movie itself.  I was rather hoping it would be in there, but sadly not.
On the plus side, he doesn't say a single word in the entire film.  He just mopes about at Amidala's funeral.

Byron Virgo

Jar Jar was the Rastaffarian geezer in the Phantom Menace, yeah?

What did/didn't happen to him, then?

Bico

Well, the makers of Lego Star Wars got my hopes up by having the Birth of a Nation background character decrapitated, but it sadly didn't happen in the movie proper.

pauljholden

Furthermore, given that they have robots, and the force and stuff - how come Padme didn't have a baby scan? (which would have revealed that she'd had twins). Also, how comes noone noticed her suddenly being up the duff anyone?

But I enjoyed it.

-pj

Max Kon

I haven't seen it. But Obi-wan being in Padm?'s appartment could be a good reason for Anakin to turn on him, thinking that the children might not be his.

Buddy

PJ, I was also thinking 'Why hasn't anyone asked her about her bump?' until Obi Wan says 'He is the father isn't he' (or something like that) suggesting that the subject has already come up at some point we didn't see.

And I also thought it funny that with all that technology they didn't know she was having twins.

Tordelbach

"And I also thought it funny that with all that technology they didn't know she was having twins."

Technology me arse!  What about the Force, what about the three most powerful Jedi of them all not noticing that there are two nearly full-term lives in there?

But who cares about that, who'll admit to feeling a tear coming on when we finally got to see Leia on that rather beautiful Alderaan balcony?

Who'll admit sneaking admiration for Lucas' son's acting turn as the doomed Padawan that tries to reach Bail?

Full of flaws, cringe-making in too many places, but Woot!  That was FUN!