Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dracula1

Agreed Mr.  Radiator ... it's  clearer now that you've explained why the Empire feature was ill timed.

IndigoPrime

Same thing happened with Hellboy.

MattJW

I would have thought that it's very advantageous to get a major movie magazine article published, some ten months before cinematic release. Creates some early buzz, surely.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: dracula1 on 04 February, 2012, 04:17:54 PM
Agreed Mr.  Radiator ... it's  clearer now that you've explained why the Empire feature was ill timed.

It may have been ill-timed, but in defense of IM Global and co., they didn't know it was going to be pushed back to September (does anyone know exactly WHY specifically it was postponed?) when they agreed to have Empire  visit the set and do the write-up, these things are worked out in advance, but the continued silence on the whole publicity for Dredd is becoming an emerging problem for it's reputation, however, and one they need to rectify pronto, or by the time the film is released, it's gonna be tarred with the whole 'troubled production' brush, and they'll find it very difficult to shake that off... no matter how good the eventual film turns out!

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 February, 2012, 12:45:47 AM
Same thing happened with Hellboy.

What happened with Hellboy then, never heard of any problems there...?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Steve Green

Quote from: MattJW on 05 February, 2012, 01:41:56 AM
I would have thought that it's very advantageous to get a major movie magazine article published, some ten months before cinematic release. Creates some early buzz, surely.

I guess it depends on whether you've got much to follow it up with - it didn't help that the next story that emerges is about the director being locked out of the edit (whether true or false) and you end up with a lack of information/pics/trailers from the makers and that void seems to be filled with more negative stories or you lose momentum on the promotion...

dracula1

These are all valid points that every one is airing so far.  Surely it would be better for everyone to be distracted by and discussing the merits of an official teaser trailer? This can't be far off especially with some major conventions looming.

Steve Green

I suppose it's all down to whether they want to hold off until SDCC (which seems to be cutting it fine for a September release) or not, or if they think it being a British character, Kapow would be a better bet.

dracula1

what American events could it possibly get exposure at?  Would something like the Super bowl be asking to much  ;)

JOE SOAP

Well it won't be on Sugar Puffs.

JOE SOAP

Best use of a Lawmaster at 0:49 and wasn't in the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mTt1kPcwTY

Steve Green

I doubt it, Dredd seems too niche, but I don't know how many spots they have for the non-blockbuster films.

There is one for The Dictator, but that's got a wider appeal than Dredd...

Steve Green

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 February, 2012, 02:10:08 PM
Best use of a Lawmaster at 0:49 and wasn't in the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mTt1kPcwTY

Hah! I'd not seen that one before...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 05 February, 2012, 02:13:11 PM
I doubt it, Dredd seems too niche, but I don't know how many spots they have for the non-blockbuster films.

I don't think niche is the problem, if they had spare spondoolicks to throw on a spot during the Superbowl ads, they'd jump at that kind of mass exposure.

JOE SOAP

A 30 second spot would cost about $3 million.

Goaty