Main Menu

Prog 1496 - Go Machine!

Started by paulvonscott, 10 July, 2006, 04:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Worst. Future Shock. Ever.

It's the first one I haven't got, ever. To leave a reader so baffled as to what happened ruins an fantastic set-up. The last frame just seems to be shoe-horned in, as if it came from another story entirely.

Can anyone tell me what happened at the end? There was a 'pulse' and then what happened?
Lock up your spoons!

Buttonman

I was lost too but didn't want to appear thick. Thank you far taking the 'principal thicko' mantle on.Think that an ideal world was rebooted to become our crappy existence but I'm probably wrong. Hope so as that would be a shit twist.

the3rdman

I've gotta agree with ukdane. I thought the cover was a bit of a con. I like it, but its an advert that i've already seen.

DavidXBrunt

We often see covers in advance in the Meg...

Rob Spalding

From my earlier post

Having re-read Al's Future Shock, paying more attention to the pretty pictures this time, I get it. Humans don't look like us for the most part, except the dude who pushed the button, thus locking us into that genetic profile.

I think that's right, if I'm wrong, could you explain it Al?

DavidXBrunt

Everything on Earth got the disease and changed in an instant into something else. Suddenly this world with connections in space, great technology, knowledge we can't grasp...became a world of...well, ours.

Keef Monkey

I also have to wear a dunce cap on that one. My flimsy interpretation stemmed from the line "a final change, to become a total absence of matter", as it then cuts to a couple of neds, who are a great example of an empty existence. Like I said, flimsy.
Apart from that, thought Dredd was good old school fun, I like a good serial killer Dredd story and Red Seas was great, nice to see them about to embark another epic quest from the looks of it.
Reading the synopsis for Go Machine I thought it sounded really cheesy but was pleasantly surprised by the opening episode. Look forward to seeing where it goes.
I also felt a bit let down by the cover, and like UKDane I assumed the cover wasn;t completed in time.

Al_Ewing

Okay...

SPOILERS FOR NON-SUBSCRIBERS

He doesn't actually get to press the universe-saving button. The alien ambassador warns everyone about something that could happen at any time on page 4. It actually happens on page 5. That's it. That universe gets wiped over and replaced with our own, with a semi-amusing punchline. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I don't have a copy of the finished article yet so I can't really comment beyond that.

Thanks for all the good press on Go-Machine! Good to know people are enjoying it so far.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

ukdane

We often see covers in advance in the Meg...

That's true, but in those instances they're adverts of the next prog.
In this instance I felt that the image, as an advert, which first appeared a few months ago, was just that, an advert, and not a cover image.

And now it's a cover image. Which is why I felt cheated. Does that make sense?

Whilst I do like the advert, I also can't help thinking Star Wars Droid Army every time I see it. (The droid with the prog, is like the droid wearing 3-PO's head.)
Cheers

-Daney

Dudley

First reaction on seeing the cover - WOW, WHAT A FANTASTIC COVER!!!!

First reaction on seeing Citizen Snork in Dredd - WOW WHAT A FANTASTIC BLAST FROM THE PAST!!!
Reaction on actually reading the story - Meh.  Seen a lot better from all concerned.

First reaction on seeing the Future Shock - WOW, WHAT GREAT ART, AND AN AL EWING SCRIPT, THIS'LL BE FANTASTIC!!!
Reaction on reading the last page - Erm, what?  Eh?  Did he - or, no, did he - no - don't get it.  
Reaction on eighth re-reading of FS - Nope, still don't get it.  First Ewing 5-pager I've not liked.

First reaction on seeing Go-Machine - AN AL EWING SERIES!!!  IT'LL BE FANTASTIC!!!
Second reaction - OK, so this is like Mean Arena, but good?  Hope so, very very decent first part anyway.

First reaction on reading Red Seas - EH?  YOU CAN'T CHANGE A CHARACTER'S CORE CONCEPT LIKE THAT!!!
Belated reaction - What a top series, what great art, and what a clever reuse of a deadly boring character.  Flipping ace.

Dudley

I almost forgot.  Great letter from Si's Mum.

LARF

"Belated reaction - What a top series, what great art, and what a clever reuse of a deadly boring character. Flipping ace"

and you saw a bit of nip!

Bolt-01

Al's FS: I liked it. Thought it was really clever and left me thinking. That could be the first time that has happened all year.

I also liked the cover. Thought it was a great ad, and it makes sense for it to be used as a cover as well. These things cost money you know.

Bolt-01

paulvonscott

I enjioyed the Future Shock, even though I didn't entirely understand it.  It had some really very good stuff in it.

I'm almost sorry you explained it like that though, I had the thought that the alien wanted rid of the Earth Empire for its own reasons, probably some intergalactic powerplay, which is why he introduced the humans to the Optimals.  I also assumed the alien at the end had stopped the man from transmitting the code to stop the Optimal threat, leave earth in the pitiful state it is now, and they are all quite happy.

Either that, or the Alien was an Optimal as well, and the virus is actually how they reproduce.

Al_Ewing

Be careful what you wish for, Paul. Sorry.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.