Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2019

Started by Dash Decent, 23 July, 2018, 02:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

However - he does have some form of 'name' draw for the US readers, similarly to Mike Allred & George Perez, both of whom have delivered covers for TMO in recent years.

IndigoPrime

Perhaps it'll work in that regard, then. Having scrolled through a few pages of his art in Google Images, it just made me a bit sad. May as well just write TITS in massive letters on his covers.

Link Prime

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 17 September, 2019, 03:22:51 PM
However - he does have some form of 'name' draw for the US readers, similarly to Mike Allred & George Perez, both of whom have delivered covers for TMO in recent years.

And the great recent-ish covers by David Aja and Chris Burnham too. A shrewd tactic deployed by TMO.

Quote from: norton canes on 17 September, 2019, 03:03:57 PM
Jovis. I've just Googled 'Joseph Linsner' - I wouldn't recommend doing so at work.

Anyone who works in a fainting couch factory should be just grand.

broodblik

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 17 September, 2019, 03:22:51 PM

Even the Perez cover was not great for prog 2100. But as they said do not judge a book by its cover.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

CalHab

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 17 September, 2019, 02:37:59 PM
Neil Roberts did pert better for Zarjaz.

Dredd has been doing the work down at the gym, I see.

Dandontdare

Good lord, does that guy EVER draw men?

norton canes

Quote from: broodblik on 17 September, 2019, 03:45:23 PM
But as they said do not judge a book by its cover

No, but we may have to cover this book, by its Judge

Leigh S

Didnt he do some of the later Quality reprint covers?

The Adventurer

I'm no fan of Linsner, but I seriously don't see a problem with that cover besides the reason you hire Linsner to begin with.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Quote from: Leigh S on 17 September, 2019, 04:25:05 PM
Didnt he do some of the later Quality reprint covers?

Maybe mixing him up with (Steve) Fastner & (Rich) Larson?

Quote from: The Adventurer on 17 September, 2019, 04:46:36 PM
I'm no fan of Linsner, but I seriously don't see a problem with that cover besides the reason you hire Linsner to begin with.

Don't know anything about the dudes personal life, but he's an internationally recognized comic book talent - what other reason do you need?

Leigh S

think you are right - my main beef with that cover is that googling his other work it seems a bit more accomplished and if not less cheese cakey, a bit more stylish?

Frank

Quote from: Link Prime on 17 September, 2019, 05:07:08 PM
Maybe mixing him up with (Steve) Fastner & (Rich) Larson?

Beat me to it. Cheesecake doesn't bother me, but that's a wonky image.

Dredd's a difficult character to draw, even for people who have been trying since they were kids. Geniuses like MacNeil, Weston and Walker turned in wobbly Dredds at the first attempt, so asking a rookie* to do a cover is a bit mean.

All the attention is on Anderson: Size 44DDivision, but Dredd's got a thigh where his right bicep should be and I'm not sure what his left hand's doing or why it's growing out of his abdomen. The whole aesthetic isn't really my thing, but the top team on Dredd, SK Moore's debut on Defoe, Culbard and Broxton balance that out.

* As far as MC1 is concerned

davidbishop

Damn, shouldn't gotten Lisner to paint the cover of Prog 1066!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

wedgeski

With that lineup, it could be "2000AD" written in Times New Roman on a blank white page and I'd still be all over it. That said, I like Dredd's depiction, if little else.