Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2019

Started by Dash Decent, 23 July, 2018, 02:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Peter Hogan returning to the Prog! Good news! Resident Alien is great.

IndigoPrime

Hogan doing Zaucer is interesting. A pity Ewing's not doing another series (and isn't back in the Prog), but Hogan writing again for 2000 AD is fantastic news. And, yes, Resident Alien is superb. Here's hoping Hogan might pitch a new series as well. I get that people weren't thrilled by his slower-paced strips, but RA has fantastic storytelling, and Brink has showcased how the Prog can house variety. (I keep hoping – in vain, obviously – that a future product will be a Brink omnibus-style HC. I'd buy that in a shot.)

maryanddavid

Pity his run on Durham Red was cut short, he seemed to be taking it in an interesting direction.

Link Prime

Delighted to have Hogan back in the Prog - I really enjoyed his Vertigo / Sandman stuff and the majority of his previous work for Tharg (including Strontium Dogs / Durham Red).
A collaboration with McCarthy on Zaucer should be a fine weekly read.

Random thought - if TMO is intent on bringing classic "It shoulda ended with..." character Durham Red back into the fold then there are worse ideas than giving Hogan another crack at it.

Quote from: broodblik on 02 October, 2019, 03:52:33 AM
The Scream and Misty Special 2019 is now available in the web-shop for pre-order with some preview pages as well: https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/RCS1955

Cheers Broodblik - l'll get that pre-order in.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: maryanddavid on 02 October, 2019, 09:20:11 AM

Yeah I liked a lot of Peter Hogan's work in 2000ad and love his Robo-Hunter. But if anyone wants to know how exciting it is to have him back in the Prog should just check out Resident Alien. Its fantastic - and has Steve Parkhouse art to boot.

broodblik

I also looking forward to Hogan's return. I concur Resident Alien is awesome
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Haven't read much of his non-prog stuff.  For my money, though, one of his best prog efforts was the Steel Claw one-off in the 1992 Action Special (back in the days everyone and his dog started reviving pre-Dredd British comic heroes).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 02 October, 2019, 01:28:16 PMYeah I liked a lot of Peter Hogan's work in 2000ad and love his Robo-Hunter.
Yep. Hogan/Hughes Robo-Hunter was solid, and really nice to see after the hideous nadir that was the Mark Millar take.

Colin YNWA

Don't think I've seen this but I've just picked up my copy of Previews and as well as the 2000ad and Meg stuff we're seen on the linkie down thread there a solicitation for a HC Billy's Boots collection. Its not a strip I know but one I believe folks who do remember findly.

112 pages for $18.99 (whatever that will translate as by December about about £24 the way things are going !)

Dash Decent

I hope it's okay to mention the 'competition' here!

Starblazer volume 1 - November 2019, 132 pages, DC Thomson.

"Out of this world Space Fiction Adventure in Pictures. An interstellar title not seen in almost three decades, Starblazer returns in Heritage Comics' latest graphic novel. Collating two classic issues from DC Thomson's archives and blowing them up to full graphic novel size with a brand new wraparound cover, this is something no Sci-Fi fan or British comic collector can do without!"

Includes "Operation Overkill" by Grant Morrison, plus "Jaws of Death".

I can't recall those stories but judging by the cover, at least one features occasional character Mikel Kayn (or however it was spelt).

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Greg M.

Operation Overkill is the first Mikal R Kayn story and has some absolutely sublime art by Alcatena. But Jaws of Death is no less notable, as it's Mike Mcmahon on art duties.

Dash Decent

Blimey, how did I miss that?  It's right there on the cover I posted.  I must be as blind as Mikal Kayn!

Thanks Greg!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

dweezil2

Quote from: maryanddavid on 02 October, 2019, 09:20:11 AM

Couldn't agree more, Resident Alien is quite superb!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tomwe

Wow love the look of that. Can't make the blasted website work for a preorder from phone though. Must remember to do Monday.