Main Menu

Are we all looking at the same photos here or what?

Started by Judge Cassidy, 09 February, 2011, 08:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Cassidy on 09 February, 2011, 10:53:53 PMI agree, the new helmet is better than in the Stallone version, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the uniform being totally wrong

The Urban Uniform is more like Ezquerra's 70's original in design and tone than Stallone's campy version, so who is more right?

Small shoulder pads etc. Tell me does the Stallone Power Ranger match these in look and tone:

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Beeks

Quote from: vzzbux on 09 February, 2011, 10:48:22 PM
So, The lycra suit, the cod piece, the half arsed helmet design (Which didn't stay on long) and the tacked plastic gold shoulder pads were testament to Dredd?

V

Back of the net
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Buddy

Never bothered me that the helmet came off in the Stallone film.

You can't say the film was bad because the helmet came off and in the comic the helmet stayed on.

That's like condeming the new film because the lawmaster has skinny wheels and in the comic they are fat.

And likewise you can't say it'll be good because the helmet stays on.

He may well keepthe lid on... But the rest of it might be pish.

All we can do I'd hope it turns out good. No one can say from what we have seen so far that it'll be good or bad.

Buddy

I also don't by the 'the uniform is like Esquerras original design...'

Apart from a smaller shoulder pad it's not at all like it.

The armour, the helmet (very much a modern take on it), the badge, the neck guard, no chain on badge... all different.

Apart from the colours and the smaller pad you can't really say it's like early designs at all... IMO.

Misanthrope

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 09 February, 2011, 11:33:20 PM

You can't say the film was bad because the helmet came off and in the comic the helmet stayed on.

That's like condeming the new film because the lawmaster has skinny wheels and in the comic they are fat.

All we can do I'd hope it turns out good. No one can say from what we have seen so far that it'll be good or bad.

The helmet coming off just told the Dredd fans that the film makers couldn't actually give a shit about what Dredd was about.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

blackmocco

Quote from: Judge Cassidy on 09 February, 2011, 10:44:08 PM
Couldn't be more wrong, actually. I had the option of posting separate posts in the separate threads (bike, uniform etc) or starting my own thread which I ACTUALLY hoped would serve a double purpose of a) letting me hear from other people who don't like the new look, as I figured I can't be the only one, and b) hearing proper arguments as to why those of you who do like the new stuff actually do. Sadly, a lot of the arguments FOR the new look seem to be a pure and simple case of 'It's not the Stallone one so it's automatically better'...which to be honest is what I sort of expected. This new uniform is, IMH, even more 'radically different from the comic in a bad way' than Stallone's was, but no, that doesn't matter because HURR WE HATE THE STALLONE ONE SO ANYTHING ELSE IS GOOD REGARDLESS

I don't hate the Stallone movie by any means. I mean, it's not exactly Batman Begins but as someone else said, design-wise it's pretty faithful. Dredd's uniform was always going to be a problem translating into reality because it's more style than function.

In saying all that though, I prefer this stripped-down take on it because it instantly tells me what kind of movie I'm going to get: Fucked up and violent. Dredd's day job is pretty much summed up by the new uniform. There's barely a lick of him exposed from under body armor.

Not a huge fan of the bike, I'll concede. Seems like they went to too much trouble to make it look bad when something simpler would have been more effective. If they were going for something more down-to-earth as an approach I'd have been fine with him driving any sort of big motorcycle as long as there's a pair of giant cannons on the front but nonetheless, it's hardly going to ruin the movie for me. Would have looked fucking stupid having him drive the comic's Lawmaster around while the rest of the movie has (very!) conventional vehicles.

You hardly needed to start a new thread though. It's laughable you felt you needed to make sure other people felt the same as you about what we've seen so far seeing as both threads so far have been primarily negative and bitchy.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Buddy

Quote from: Misanthrope on 10 February, 2011, 12:04:09 AM
Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 09 February, 2011, 11:33:20 PM

The helmet coming off just told the Dredd fans that the film makers couldn't actually give a shit about what Dredd was about.

And you think these film makers actually give a shit about the Dredd fans?

If they did they would make the Lawmaster look like the Lawmaster.

They, like every other film maker only give a shit about the amount of money they can make, don't for a second think this film is being made for fans of Dredd.

Also, I don't really think Dredd is all about keeping his helmet on.

DKCX

Lame thread...I'm embarrassed for you.  :-[
I was ashamed when I walked out of the cinema back then, me and my brothers were all teenagers and we knew it was shite even back then. Teenagers are easily satisfied with any tripe. I remember hearing people getting pissed off as some other movie was full and Judge Dredd was the alternative. They were even more pissed off coming out.
The only argument afterward with my brothers was if there was a Manta Patrol Tank in the movie, my brother was convinced he saw one, I said I didn't see any... :lol:
Shame, it would have looked cool in the movie.

Misanthrope

QuoteAnd you think these film makers actually give a shit about the Dredd fans?

They, like every other film maker only give a shit about the amount of money they can make, don't for a second think this film is being made for fans of Dredd.

A lot more than the people who made the last one, THAT is for sure. Danny Cannon told the fans who complained about Dredd taking off the helmet to "Grow up."

Dredd not showing his face is now so ingrained in the strip that I don't think it would be possible to show him without the helmet.

Buddy

Quote from: Misanthrope on 10 February, 2011, 01:24:33 AM
QuoteAnd you think these film makers actually give a shit about the Dredd fans?

A lot more than the people who made the last one, THAT is for sure. Danny Cannon told the fans who complained about Dredd taking off the helmet to "Grow up."

Dredd not showing his face is now so ingrained in the strip that I don't think it would be possible to show him without the helmet.

I'm inclined to agree with Dany Cannon on that one... and Dredd's face has been seen many times in the comic (heres a pic of Fargo, Dredd is a clone of Fargo so Dredd looks like this.... and thats not to mention the views of Dredds actual face) so to say it's impossible it could happen is just plain wrong.

I don't think the film makers care one way or the other if Dredd Fans like this or not, they just want as many people as possible to go pay to see it.

COMMANDO FORCES

Buddy

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 10 February, 2011, 01:59:31 AM
Clones don't always look the same!

Is it not a given that Dredd looks like Fargo?

I'm only going by what I've read on this forum about it... if I had one of the many pics of Dredds face available I'd post that... the Fargo one was the first to come up on google.

I was just pressing the point that Dredds face HAS been seen in the comic, as some people seem to think that Dredd is ALL ABOUT not showing his face.

COMMANDO FORCES

I see, well we did see him in the Dead Man, although he was slightly sun burnt  ;)

Misanthrope

QuoteI was just pressing the point that Dredds face HAS been seen in the comic, as some people seem to think that Dredd is ALL ABOUT not showing his face.

Dredd's face has been PARTIALLY seen in the comic. We have never seen a full unobscured view of an adult Judge Dredd.

It is not ALL ABOUT Dredd not showing his face, it is ALL ABOUT the facelessness of the law that Dredd represents. When Stallone took the helmet off he became Stallone, and the movie just shifted into the same plot as all the other Stallone movies before it.

True, movies are all about making money. What I am saying is that the makers of the new film HAVE considered the fans. Asking John Wagner to advise, and taking his advice.