Main Menu

Prog 2097 - Psychos A-Go-Go!

Started by sheridan, 04 September, 2018, 08:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Why can't you edit for typos on this thread?

The S on my keyboard keeps sticking!

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 September, 2018, 11:49:35 PM
Survival geeks - good fun (can only identify two of the four weapons though!). I think the prog needs a funny strip and that's always been a minefield of subjectivity, but I think this one fills that gap nicely.

I've just been listening to the latest Space Spinner 2000 where they've gone from the year of DR & Quinch to the return of Ace Trucking Co so it's definitely good to see the tradition of a humour strip is being continued.

I take it the weapons you refer to are the ones on page 2, last panel?  I hadn't realised they were specific items...

TordelBack

Rufus has the Moonbase Alpha Stunner (or is an electronux?) and the gun from The Black Hole, and Simon has Fry's Holophonur (sp?), but what's the steampunky hammer?

Tiplodocus

Great prog!

What? You wanted more? But it would only be nitpicky. So I'm not going to.

Well, maybe one. I know Boothers are zealots but they seem to fall for the "He's alive!" a little too easily.

But then a proper sting would take half a dozen progs to reel them in.  Which makes me think, has Dredd (or any other strip) done a really involved sting over a number of progs? 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Magnetica

Quote from: Geoff on 05 September, 2018, 06:53:43 PM
For me, the prog's been in the doldrums for a few months now, hope the jump-on prog livens things up..

Just goes to show different views abound....I think it has been pretty good this year, certainly much better than it was in the last few months before last Xmas.

JamesC

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 September, 2018, 10:16:04 AM
Rufus has the Moonbase Alpha Stunner (or is an electronux?) and the gun from The Black Hole, and Simon has Fry's Holophonur (sp?), but what's the steampunky hammer?

I knew I'd seen that top n bottom double barrelled pistol design somewhere but the only similar examples I could think of were Marvel's StarLord and cartoon favourite Brave Starr. Now I remember them though - particularly in the shooting range scene.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 September, 2018, 10:16:04 AM

I really should have got the Holophonur - Futurama is one of my favourite cartoons (including the ones I watched when I was a kid and have nostalgia on their side)

broodblik

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 September, 2018, 10:41:32 AM
But then a proper sting would take half a dozen progs to reel them in.  Which makes me think, has Dredd (or any other strip) done a really involved sting over a number of progs?

The Dredd story starting in Prog 2100 is going to be ten episodes (by Rob Williams and Henry Flint).

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 06 September, 2018, 10:41:45 AM
Quote from: Geoff on 05 September, 2018, 06:53:43 PM
For me, the prog's been in the doldrums for a few months now, hope the jump-on prog livens things up..

Just goes to show different views abound....I think it has been pretty good this year, certainly much better than it was in the last few months before last Xmas.

I agree with Magnetica that the prog this year was really good. I will even say that recently the prog has been really balanced in its line-up. The progs leading up to Xmas was for me a big dip (that includes the Slaine story). The jump-on prog looks great
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

I've got to say how much I'm enjoying the recent run for Survival Geeks. It's just clicked with me in the last couple of stories in a way the early stories never did. I'm looking forward to a re-read now!

Magnetica

I agree with Bolt, I also enjoyed the recent and current Survival Geeks stories.
I am also enjoying The Order as never before, which is due to the fact, that in a complete reversal of previous series it is making more sense as it goes on, not less. Now that might be due to the fact I have read the last 4 or 5 Progs in quick succession in a post holiday catch up.

Grey Area has now risen to the top echelon of thrills for me and has the flexibility to do short stories or long ones.

Mechastopheles is fine too. I really like that the knight's helmet looks like a Terminator's from Nemesis book one

I am also enjoying the current Dredd story more than previous Sons of Booth tales.

So yeah a really good Prog this week.

TordelBack

I've never had a problem with Survival Geeks, at its worst it's been short lighthearted runs with magnificent art, but for me too it's really taken off in the last few stories - probably since things wrapped up with Kevin.  It's definitely 2000AD's most successful comedy strip in ages, the only obvious competition being Ulysees Sweet and Dandridge (not counting Sinister Dexter), and it's a far more developed creation than either of those.

Magnetica

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 September, 2018, 06:16:44 PM
the only obvious competition being Ulysees Sweet and Dandridge

Well that's no competition at all, really, is it?

Greg M.

Dandridge was great - wish we'd got more of it, but maybe Tharg felt there were enough strips already doing the supernatural detective thing. (If he did, it should've been Ampney Crucis that got the dunt.)

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 06 September, 2018, 06:58:24 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 06 September, 2018, 06:16:44 PM
the only obvious competition being Ulysees Sweet and Dandridge

Well that's no competition at all, really, is it?

Aw, I liked Ulysees Sweet!  It wasn't all brilliant all the time, but it was good OTT fun, and Marshall turned in some of his best ever work on it.  Dandridge was good too - wasn't trying to damn SG with faint praise, honest!

Meanwhile, Mechastopheles continues to hold the attention it earned last week.  Some fantastic colouring from Richardson; Grey Area continues to be stonking stuff with an enjoyably well-defined cast; The Order is accelerating wonderfully (Armoured Clara!); and Dredd is a solid procedural - I like the SoB's plan, and hope this isn't the end of them.