Main Menu

DAILY STAR DREDD - the final hunt...

Started by Leigh S, 01 January, 2012, 09:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

I'm putting out a call for help in completing a definitive list of the missing Saturaday Daily Star Dredd strips.  Titles will be enough (with a brief summary of the strip), but a scan would be even better!

With the help of fellow boarder Orlok, I have been able to piece together a lot of missing data around the daily Star Dredds.  I'm at the stage where the number of unidentified strips is in single figures.

There are at least 27 unreprinted strips.  Between myself and Orlok, we have this down to just 7 that we dont have a copy of:

149 - Strike Bound.  I had a copy of this on an old long dead PC, found on an ebay auction I think.  It wasnt one of you who bought it was it?

150 - no clue about this.  Its possible this wasnt actually written by Wagner.  The previous story sets the tone.  There was a real life IPC strike in 84 and you can see that while Ron Smith carried on drawing, he also had to do the lettering for a run of strips around this time - see Vol 3 of the Daily Star collections for a few examples.

154  and 155 - again, no clue and possibly similarly affected by the strike?

176 - Job Vacancy Part 1.  Part 2 was again in Vol 3, and again I had this on that long dead PC. If only I;d had a printer!

180 - no clue at all.

276 - no clue about this one either - It's right at the end of the run, so who knows who drew it!

In addition:

16 - is it the story "Cyborg"?

123 - Theres the potential this was actually a reprint of a story I have the original of as number 70 - If you look at the reprint of Christmas Pardon in Megazine 208, its listed as 123...

And finally, if you have strips 88,89,92,93,95-98,101-103,105-110,128,129, 178, 232-234 it would be good to confirm the details - they have more than likely been reprinted without the number, so at the moment they exact sequence of the strips is a bit vague!

Thanks to anyone who can help, and if you are missing a strip or two yourself, Im sure we can help!

vzzbux

I will try and hunt mine out and check which ones I have when I have the time. The next few days are going to hectic for me as I reach a mile stone age wise.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Leigh S

Cheers Vzzbux - all help gratefully received, even if its just confirming an existing strips number.

maryanddavid

233 is Bill Halleys comet hotel.
234 is a kid with boing boots
I have a good run from 233 t0 277, I have 274 and 277, and I have one that could be 276 0r 275, looks more like 275 but it could have been mistaken for 276? Its by Gibson and it about councillor Firchely Pepp going to live in a Ghetto. Most of the Smiths are in Colour and the Gibsons are in B&W.

Funny this thread should come now, I have loads fot he Daily Star Dredds, I found more scrapbooks with a lot of the Mike Collins (badly) coloured, and also the Barry Kitson run I had forgotten about.

If any of the above are any good, I can scan, probably tomorrow night.

David

Leigh S

Cheers for that - no scans necessary for these ones.. Sounds like 234 is the one I thought was 241 - school for high flyers... any idea what number 241 is?

The Other half does have a dodgey number - I'd read it as 276 from an ebay auction long ago, but Orlok has it as 278, and as you say, it looks a bit 275 as well!  Do you have a different 275 and 278 that would mean this had to be 276?

Cheers again for the info

maryanddavid

241 is one with JR Ewing

277 is the last one I have its by Gibson, and as far as I was aware it was the last of the Saturdays, but that was only a presumption. And your right it could read 278, If I had to pick one Id say its 275.
277 is Licenced Peeper

David

Leigh S

Thanks for that - thats a few more stories with numbers.  I have a christmas themed 279 and if you get a calender, 279 weeks of Saturday strips ties in with the switch from the daily story running 5 days a week to 6 days a week, and them dropping the self contained strips - they had ran at the same time as the earlier ongoing tales, which started as 5x13 weeks = 65 parts and switched to 6x13 weeks when tehy were ran on Saturday as well.

CraveNoir

Quote from: Leigh S on 01 January, 2012, 09:14:14 PM
And finally, if you have strips 88,89,92,93,95-98,101-103,105-110,128,129, 178, 232-234 it would be good to confirm the details - they have more than likely been reprinted without the number, so at the moment they exact sequence of the strips is a bit vague!

88,89,92,93,95-98,101-103,105- 109 have all been reprinted in annuals/specials/collections. I think Barney has all the details.

Mega Collection reprints:
110 - ??? (page 97)
128 - American Kneepad (page ?)
129 - Rat-A-Touille (page ?)

178 - Mug Patrol - 1986 Sci-Fi Special (page 26)

232 - Photo Finish - Judge Dredd Annual 1988 (page 63)

And going on David's info over Barney's on these strips...
233 - Justice from Above - Judge Dredd Annual 1988 (page 83)
234 - School for High Flyers - Judge Dredd Annual 1988 (page 78)
241 - Joe's Soap Story - Judge Dredd Annual 1988 (page 64)

Leigh S

Quote from: CraveNoir on 01 January, 2012, 11:17:41 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 01 January, 2012, 09:14:14 PM

88,89,92,93,95-98,101-103,105- 109 have all been reprinted in annuals/specials/collections. I think Barney has all the details.

Mega Collection reprints:
110 - ??? (page 97)
128 - American Kneepad (page ?)
129 - Rat-A-Touille (page ?)

178 - Mug Patrol - 1986 Sci-Fi Special (page 26)

232 - Photo Finish - Judge Dredd Annual 1988 (page 63)

And going on David's info over Barney's on these strips...
233 - Justice from Above - Judge Dredd Annual 1988 (page 83)
234 - School for High Flyers - Judge Dredd Annual 1988 (page 78)
241 - Joe's Soap Story - Judge Dredd Annual 1988 (page 64)

Cheers Crave - the only problem is that Barney is mostly based on a list I created from the reprints rather than the originals, and certain strips had their serial numbers filed off - so mug patrol might be 178, but could also be 180 (in which case, 178 is missing).  I just slotted it into that gap for reasons known only to me at the time! :)

Thats why Barney was wrong about the ones in the 230's - that was all a bit of guesswork.  I think they do have the caveat that the number and date might be wrong on Barney?

Toni Scandella

I would love a case Files or two (or however many it'd take to reprint them all) collecting all the Daily Star Dredds.

Sector Chief

I'm interested to see how this thread pans out. The reprints have confused issues by renaming the strips differently each time. For example 'High Jumper' (Daily Star Collection 3), 'The Leaper' (Daily Star Mega-Collection) and 'Catcher in the Sky!' (Judge Dredd Annual  1984) - all different titles for the same strip!

Does anyone know if the first strip to appear in the Daily Star, 'Devil's Island', was just a reprint of the 2000AD Judge Dredd strip of the same name?

Leigh S

It was indeed.  Shame they didnt get Ron to draw it up to match the rest.

Leigh S

Quote from: Toni Scandella on 02 January, 2012, 10:32:36 AM
I would love a case Files or two (or however many it'd take to reprint them all) collecting all the Daily Star Dredds.

The Saturday strips would fit perfectly into 1 volume - theres (at most) 279 of them, which I believe is about standard page count for a case file.

Another 300 page case file would probably have all the Wagner Grant daily strips, with enough other material for another 2 case files I reckon.  while many of these would be Millar strips, I'd love to see them in print, if only to bring these shockers back to light! :)

Trout

I've never understood why you didn't just find a newspaper archive somewhere, and take copies.

Have you been in touch with the Daily Star? It might even be a story for them, that their back issues are collectable.

- Trout

SmallBlueThing

Inspired by the threads hereabouts, I looked out my copies of the first five collections, and tucked into the first one was the colour Saturday strip from June 14th 1986 (strip numbered 251), in which Dredd interrogates a suspect for information about the Bloody Knee Mob.

And also some great color pics of Maria Whittaker's tits.

SBT