Main Menu

Meg 332 - Slaying Double!

Started by Leigh S, 12 January, 2013, 06:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

No oneone else get their Meg?  No prog for me, so this had to suffice.  Sadly, Wagner remains absent, though Arthur Wyatt's and David Roach's Dredd tale at the end had a decent stab at an old school "gimmick" one off (not a criticism!).

Elsewhere Alan Grant continues to pour the misery on Anderson... not really interested in Grants stuff at the best of times, though this does try to throw a bit of Day of Chaos aftermath into the mix... I'd have preferred to see what Anderson was actually up to in DoC than another chance for her to despair at the world/humanity.

American Reaper more than made up for it - I'm in the camp that would much rather the art was drawn than compu/photo/manipulations, but I'm not as offended by the actual result as others - plus, I can happily buy into Mills world plot conveniences and exposition conveniences and just enjoy the way he creates imaginatively conceived worlds that draw me in like no other writers.

moly

For a first time in a long time I enjoyed the meg more than the prog this week

The Prodigal

I have made up my mind to start buying the meg regularly from this month (been buying the prog for a year). I keep getting mixed signals about its quality  on here but I am just going to live dangerously.

vzzbux

'Bootknife'.
What a great Dredd by Mr Grant. More JDH on Dredd please Tharg.

B
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Buttonman

Got mine! No Dreddlines again - that's only 3 in the last 9 Megs (or 4 in 10 if you like round numbers).

Like the Dredd/Anderson tale although I'm not sure a big pile of bodies would putrify enough to let swim about in them but I must defer as I haven't attempted this myself.

The other Dredd was OK but it was another tale mined from an old idea but it had some good touches and nice art.

Hondo was fun and I just know Robbie won't have this as a by the numbers zombie yarn.

Reaper did nothing for me - a dozen pages of talking heads - yawn!

Overall a solid pass from me.

Hawkmumbler

Whats the floppy this month? I dropped the prog a few months back to save money over the christmas season for presents (intend on back ordering said megs in the next sale) so i'f it's volumes 2 of eith Finn, Download Tales or Dissaster 1990 i'll know to just leave it for now.

Buttonman

This month's floppy is the second, and thankfully last, instalment of 'Disaster 1990'.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Buttonman on 13 January, 2013, 08:58:16 PM
This month's floppy is the second, and thankfully last, instalment of 'Disaster 1990'.
Then on the waiting pile it shall go.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Buttonman on 13 January, 2013, 05:31:11 PM
Got mine! No Dreddlines again - that's only 3 in the last 9 Megs (or 4 in 10 if you like round numbers).

Like the Dredd/Anderson tale although I'm not sure a big pile of bodies would putrify enough to let swim about in them but I must defer as I haven't attempted this myself.

The other Dredd was OK but it was another tale mined from an old idea but it had some good touches and nice art.

Hondo was fun and I just know Robbie won't have this as a by the numbers zombie yarn.

Reaper did nothing for me - a dozen pages of talking heads - yawn!

Overall a solid pass from me.

Yeah That about says it all, can't believe 14 pages of Sexy Ostriches  :(
DDT did a job on me

The Prodigal

As a prospective new reader (I have bought the prog for a year) I have to say AR leaves me cold. I want to buy the meg but dipped in for a few samples ie bought back issues and Reaper might stay my hand. Loved the Insurrection trade though-its back in March innit?

Judo

it would be good to cut the floppies and american reaper since they both get mixed response from even the die hard fans and get the meg back under a fiver.  Til then its funeral bells for me cos I'm a pauper x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

sheldipez

Quote from: Judo on 14 January, 2013, 11:24:55 AM
it would be good to cut the floppies and american reaper since they both get mixed response from even the die hard fans and get the meg back under a fiver.  Til then its funeral bells for me cos I'm a pauper x

I think it's current price is spot on, you get a helluva lot of reading for it's price tag. I'm always running out of things to read though so it's always gonna be a case of "more, more, more!" for me.

IndigoPrime

The thing is, covermounts/extras are a means of adding perception of value; however, from a pure production process, they're usually extremely cost-effective. If the Meg removed the floppy, I imagine some readers would expect a huge price drop, but they wouldn't get it (in the same way if a mag with a cover DVD removed said DVD, it'd probably only drop the price by 50p, if at all).

Judo

I'd rather new material or a lower price than stuff I've already got elsewhere x 
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Molch-R

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 January, 2013, 11:56:53 AM
The thing is, covermounts/extras are a means of adding perception of value; however, from a pure production process, they're usually extremely cost-effective. If the Meg removed the floppy, I imagine some readers would expect a huge price drop, but they wouldn't get it (in the same way if a mag with a cover DVD removed said DVD, it'd probably only drop the price by 50p, if at all).

This.