Main Menu

Doctor Who dvd collection???

Started by klute, 09 September, 2012, 08:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klute

Is there a collection of Dr Who dvd's that collect from 1963 onwards not including the last 7 season's of course as their fairly accessable.

Looking at play hasn't really helped with regards to begining with a collection and IMDB isn't much better either that or i'm looking at it all wrong.
Where to start????

Are the Peter Cushing Doctor Films considered to be part of the Doctors history or were they stand alone offerings i ask this because i remember the Peter Cushing Doctor Who films fondly yet reading reviews it would seem some if not most hated them??
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

glassstanley

There's no comprehensive box set for the 63-89 run. Stories are released individually. Have a look at story titles in Wikipedia and then choose your stories from amazon. Occasionally, two or three stories are boxed together - the first three stories are boxed as The Beginning. There are still a few stories that have yet to be released. Completion date for the releases is expected sometime next year.

The Cushing films are remakes of the first two Dalek stories. They have a number of differences from the series - Cushing's Doctor is a human inventor, for instance, not a Time Lord, so they don't sit within the tv series' continuity. Still fun to watch and there has been a reappraisal of them in recent years.

Be very careful when venturing into online fan forums :)

klute

Quote from: glassstanley on 09 September, 2012, 08:19:22 PM
There's no comprehensive box set for the 63-89 run. Stories are released individually. Have a look at story titles in Wikipedia and then choose your stories from amazon. Occasionally, two or three stories are boxed together - the first three stories are boxed as The Beginning. There are still a few stories that have yet to be released. Completion date for the releases is expected sometime next year.

The Cushing films are remakes of the first two Dalek stories. They have a number of differences from the series - Cushing's Doctor is a human inventor, for instance, not a Time Lord, so they don't sit within the tv series' continuity. Still fun to watch and there has been a reappraisal of them in recent years.

Be very careful when venturing into online fan forums :)

I only really followed Doctor Who in the 80's and ofc the last 7 seasons though mainly because both my brother and brother in law are big fans but neither are old enough to remember the 80's which for me was the best time to be a fan
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

IndigoPrime

Probably also worth noting that some series will almost certainly never be released, because they're extinct through being deleted from the BBC archives. See Wiki for more info.

Greg M.

Quote from: klute on 09 September, 2012, 08:28:54 PM
I only really followed Doctor Who in the 80's and ofc the last 7 seasons though mainly because both my brother and brother in law are big fans but neither are old enough to remember the 80's which for me was the best time to be a fan

All the 80s stories are out on DVD, so you'll have no trouble getting your hands on any you remember fondly.