Main Menu

Prog 2040 - Murder Wrap!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 15 July, 2017, 12:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

As for mr review of the Prog:

Great cover.

Dredd: great art. But I'm sorry the "story", such as it was left me completely cold. It all seemed to be based on getting to that final pun. I want a bit more than that.

Brink: it's getting boring saying it: just superb, best thing in the Prog.

Greysuit: actually runs Brink close. Really enjoyable. The recap page really helped and was just the right length and level of detail. I actually remembered all of it apart from the bit about the sheep ( what the ...?)

Grey Area: also superb. Much better than the last couple of weeks. But I like how those last few weeks have seeded things that are now being used. Another example of the Dan Abnett master class.

Magnetica

Sorry posted that before I meant to.

Hunted: nah. The "reveal" was a massive "so what".

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Magnetica on 15 July, 2017, 09:41:06 PM
Yes I know you like it. You and me have posted our love for it many times. It is indeed them other folk...

You count me amongst your number. I'm always happy to see Sinister Dexter in the prog. :)

Timothy

A good Dredd one-off, but surely a missed opportunity to show a Judge on the loo running out of paper.

Smith

I almost forgot Greysuit was 90% sheep jokes.
Im afraid Im taking a break after this prog.For a while,probably.

Steve Green

Quote from: Timothy on 19 July, 2017, 07:33:03 AM
A good Dredd one-off, but surely a missed opportunity to show a Judge on the loo running out of paper.

They did that gag in Book of the Dead.

Timothy

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 July, 2017, 08:19:25 AM
Quote from: Timothy on 19 July, 2017, 07:33:03 AM

They did that gag in Book of the Dead.

I know. My comment was intended as a joke referencing that dark time in the prog's history. The internets does not do sarcasm well.

I, Cosh

After a couple of decent efforts that didn't quite hit the mark I thought it was very nice to start with a nifty Dredd one-off that let our man do some off the cuff thinking and finish on a snappy one-liner.

Completely agree about Abnett's position at the moment. Sad to see Brink go but hopefully it'll be back again before the end of the year. Beautiful looking and brilliantly crafted.

After a bit of adjustment to the new situation, this week's Grey Area is an outstanding episode.

It's a crying shame to see something as beautiful as that last Higgins/Hurst panel of our man leaping from a waterfall accompanying the tripe of Greysuit. At least Tharg throws us the bone that this will be the last story.

The first series of Hunted wasn't something I was too excited about but I'm always happy to see a Rennie story in the Prog. Unfortunately, this follow up has been a bit of a mess. Juggling a big cast of characters has always been one of his strong suits but here everything has been disjointed and unclear. More Jaegir would be far more welcome.
We never really die.

Bolt-01

I might be completely wrong here, but I think that as Simon Coleby is off drawing cars we won't be seeing any Jaegir for a while. I think this is one of those occasions where Tharg is letting the body of work build by the original creators rather than get another artist in.

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 19 July, 2017, 09:25:02 AM
Completely agree about Abnett's position at the moment. Sad to see Brink go but hopefully it'll be back again before the end of the year. Beautiful looking and brilliantly crafted.

After a bit of adjustment to the new situation, this week's Grey Area is an outstanding episode

'Gestalt-right' wins the Eighties Pat Mills memorial prize for services to amusing naming convention *. Surprised Bulliet missed the open goal of Hallard declaring she needed her back door plugged, and what did Kevin Smith do to upset Mark Harrison?

I'll join the orgiastic praise regarding the art and writing on Brink, even if the concentration on building atmosphere left some episodes of the middle section feeling as cavernously empty as Galina habitat. Nice use of the pathetic fallacy with the weather in the last pages.

And yes, Abnett is Tharg's most valuable player by a significant margin. **

* Although ideological conformity is a charge more often levelled at the left. Not sure it applies to people who can't even agree to scrap health care legislation they all want to scrap.

** Wagner and Williams now being restricted to coming off the bench for the odd ten minute run out

dweezil2

That shot of a 'Henry' on the shelf of artefacts made me chortle!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

dweezil2

Quote from: dweezil2 on 19 July, 2017, 02:00:01 PM
That shot of a 'Henry' on the shelf of artefacts made me chortle!  :lol:

In Judge Dredd, that is!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Frank on 19 July, 2017, 01:57:32 PMSurprised Bulliet missed the open goal of Hallard declaring she needed her back door plugged...

:lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: dweezil2 on 19 July, 2017, 02:01:43 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 19 July, 2017, 02:00:01 PM
That shot of a 'Henry' on the shelf of artefacts made me chortle!

In Judge Dredd, that is!

Anyone know if the bust from the dictators of Zragg is based on something from an old strip?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 19 July, 2017, 01:41:45 PM
I might be completely wrong here, but I think that as Simon Coleby is off drawing cars we won't be seeing any Jaegir for a while. I think this is one of those occasions where Tharg is letting the body of work build by the original creators rather than get another artist in.
Yeah. I get and respect that but it doesn't help when I enjoy one story and not the other.
We never really die.