Main Menu

Meg 404 - Crystal Trips & Alien Stare

Started by Richard, 12 January, 2019, 01:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Quote from: WhizzBang on 19 January, 2019, 01:42:40 PM
About Lawless - I am sure that it was hinted that Lawson might not really be who she claims to be. The man who was a psychic prisoner said stuff to this effect and it was also noted at one point that she doesn't use a Lawgiver because her hand print would not be recognised as a judge. At one point in the strip someone turned up who claimed to be the real Lawson but this was then dismissed somehow. Has this identity thing been forgotten?

No I am sure it hasn't. The hint was that she is Freely from Insurrection. I for one have that at the forefront of my mind when reading Lawless.

WhizzBang

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 January, 2019, 02:28:14 PM
No I am sure it hasn't. The hint was that she is Freely from Insurrection. I for one have that at the forefront of my mind when reading Lawless.

Ah, I haven't read Insurrection. Is it any good, and what is it about Freely that makes you think she is Lawson? Does Freely look like Lawson?

broodblik

Quote from: WhizzBang on 19 January, 2019, 02:36:54 PM
Ah, I haven't read Insurrection. Is it any good, and what is it about Freely that makes you think she is Lawson? Does Freely look like Lawson?

It was also published in the meg a few years ago. Also by Abnett but art was done by Colin MacNeil. It is worthwhile getting it.  See below the links to the two volumes published:

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/graphic-novels/dredd-verse/XB423

and

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/graphic-novels/dredd-verse/XB538
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Quote from: WhizzBang on 19 January, 2019, 02:36:54 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 19 January, 2019, 02:28:14 PM

In my opinion it is just about the best story ever published in the Megazine (vying with Lawless for top spot).

As to why I think she is Freely- because there is a scene where another character refers to her as Freely.

IndigoPrime

If you can find a copy second hand (eBay of Facebook marketplace are good bets), it's also collected in hardback as #67 of the Dredd Mega Collection. (Hachette itself is out of stock, although even if it wasn't, who knows if they'd actually send a copy you'd paid for? Grumble grumble.)

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 19 January, 2019, 01:32:22 PM

Many thanks for tha. Will give it another go later or tomorrow, as the misprint plus the teeny tiny font reproduction in the half light of the energy saver  bulb I was reading by combined to make me give up!

I will destroy the planet with proper light and this thread to allow me to read it.

SBT

Magnetica

It's taken a while and I have just read the last two Megs (but I did read Lawless when I got them).

I won't dwell on Lawless, as we know it's ace.

The rest has been kinda so so for a while.

Storm Warning is ok.

Torture Garden is ok. I feel similarly with Deadworld in the Prog - I don't seem to like it as well others seem to.

But as for Blunt....I really hope this ends soon. I have pretty much lost track of this now in terms of who is who and what is going on...but I don't feel it is worth a re-read.

It does surprise when people talk about reviewing their subscriptions. Even when I only like one story, it never occurs to me to stop.

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 27 January, 2019, 05:38:23 PM
It does surprise when people talk about reviewing their subscriptions. Even when I only like one story, it never occurs to me to stop.

That is the power and weakness of any anthology. The problem is when the weakness is sustained for a long period of time. The Meg for me is in a good space. The prog had a good run and is rather not so solid currently (I am sure it will pick-up again). 

Yes Blunt is also the weak point in the Meg for me. I did not really care for the previous run so this more of the same
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Magnetica on 27 January, 2019, 05:38:23 PMIt does surprise when people talk about reviewing their subscriptions.
To be fair, it's a decent chunk of change, and if you're not enjoying it. I'll admit, I wobbled when American Reaper was taking up massive chunks of each issue.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 19 January, 2019, 04:19:33 AM
Just finished the floppy so it was good. If you are like me a World War 2 sucker then you must get the next 4 megs. I like the concept that the floppy contains new stories rather than reprinted material. But please do no postpone Mind Wars again (this is due after the WW2 floppies)

I'll put this here. The May solicitations are out and it appears 'Mind Wars' is the floppie then... fingers crossed and all that...

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 February, 2019, 01:03:14 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 19 January, 2019, 04:19:33 AM
Just finished the floppy so it was good. If you are like me a World War 2 sucker then you must get the next 4 megs. I like the concept that the floppy contains new stories rather than reprinted material. But please do no postpone Mind Wars again (this is due after the WW2 floppies)

I'll put this here. The May solicitations are out and it appears 'Mind Wars' is the floppie then... fingers crossed and all that...

Good so hopefully this is going to happen.

Tiplodocus

So I'm not completely up to date on the Meg but I am now up to date on LAWLESS. Because, well you have to be don't you. What fantastic comic story telling! It even made a tired, old [spoiler]time jump - that everyone seems to be doing these days[/spoiler] seem fresh and essential and heart breaking all at once.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

And I pretty much enjoyed the rest of the Meg too.

DREDD was a well told tale though I'll reserve judgement on that final reveal. STORM WARNING is full of fun. DARK JUDGES gets me in a way that DEADWORLD in the prog doesn't.

Like a few others, I'm not getting on with BLUNT. Possibly doesn't help that I missed the first one. (But, for example, LAWLESS grabbed me so much that after two episodes, I stopped reading and went and bought the previous trades).

The floppy, I'll admit, slightly disappointed me. The art was marvellous, the story was ok but the dialogue, possibly because of a very literal translation was very poor andrepeatedly pulled me out of what I was reading. Characters didn't come through at all and just seemed to be speaking basil. Often to us, the reader.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!