Main Menu

Japan Relief

Started by The Legendary Shark, 29 March, 2011, 02:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

I've had a bit of an idea to help raise money  for the Japan relief effort. Not surprisingly, this idea involves creating a comic, but not in the conventional sense.

I've already asked a few people who are in the know (thanks for your time, guys!) and they seem to think that the idea may be a goer.

Step One would be to auction off "starring roles" in specially created stories. The winning bidders submit photos of themselves (or loved ones, friends etc) to be included as characters in how ever many stories we can fit in the special comic. Ideally, we might ask professional creators to agree to write/illustrate special one-off stories including the winning bidders' characters. (For example, how much would COMMANDOFORCES bid to appear in a one or two page Wagner/Ezquerra Dredd if we were lucky enough to entice them aboard? How much would a Hellboy fan pay to appear in a one or two page Mike Mignola strip?) "Cheaper" winning bidders also get to appear in stories, these penned/illustrated by small pressers.

Each winning bidder would get a complimentary issue of the comic - maybe including a page of original artwork (or not, it might be an idea to auction those off separately, creators willing, of course) or a small signed postcard (we could create a page of postcards for each contributor to print out, autograph and send in, so one can be included with each issue - maybe).

Step Two would be to print off a limited run (say a dozen or so issues, individually numbered and maybe containing an autograph or two or whatever might add a bit of extra value) and then auction them off.

Step Three would be to release the finished comic through Lulu (or something) at a set price for anyone to order.

Lastly, a cheap pdf version to download.

First thing to do would be to get as many creators firmly aboard as possible for the initial character auctions. So, who's willing/able/free to donate a day's worth of art or writing to this project?

Second; deadline. It has been pointed out to me that this project might need to be completed quickly, but I don't know. I was looking at the Japanese calendar and two dates suggested themselves to me for deadlines:

1: The Japanese festival of "Obon," (an annual Buddhist event for commemorating one's ancestors) which occurs in mid-August. This festival may also suggest a title and theme for the comic.

2: New Year (shogatsu or oshogatsu). "Years are traditionally viewed as completely separate, with each new year providing a fresh start. Consequently, all duties are supposed to be completed by the end of the year, while bonenkai parties ("year forgetting parties") are held with the purpose of leaving the old year's worries and troubles behind."

Maybe both dates could be used for different stages of the project.

So, what do you reckon? (Be honest!) Of course, I'd be more than willing to do most of the "heavy lifting" on this project - but, having learned a bit from "SuperSquirrel Undefeated!" and "Jikan: The Flood" I'd be very happy to have your help on this, if you think it's a workable idea and have the time to chip in.

So, any thoughts? Any volunteers to help me set it up and get stuff rolling? Anybody knowledgeable enough about Japanese culture to help ensure the project doesn't end up being in poor taste? Anybody got photos of Tharg in a compromising position? Any creators willing to donate a day or so sometime over the next five months?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spaceghost

Well, I think it could work but it would stand or fall depending on the level of talent you can get involved.

The bigger the talent, the bigger the bids. If it's only 1 or 2 page stories/pics then I can't see even big shot pros being too bothered about pitching in.

I would definitely like to offer my services again for this one and also, my wife is Japanese so I could run ideas by her and her friends if you like.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

The Legendary Shark

I used the one or two page story idea for big names - heck, they might only want to donate a portrait or caricature. I envision a mixture of contributions of differing lengths so as not to ask too much of those who are in demand or too little of those wishing to give a little more.

And your wife is hereby promoted to the position of Associate Editor - meaning that from now on you must do as she tells you!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spaceghost

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 March, 2011, 02:38:38 PM
And your wife is hereby promoted to the position of Associate Editor - meaning that from now on you must do as she tells you!

So what else is new?

I think it's a great idea. I can envisage something like the Super Squirrel project, but with comic characters appearing with the folks who win the bid.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Daveycandlish

Well you know if I can help in any way, just give me a shout.

I'll certainly buy a copy!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

flip-r mk2

Happy to help on the small press art side of things.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Van Dom

I see Lee has beaten me to it, but I have a Japanese connection here to so if an assistant Associate editor is needed, no problemo.

Great idea though!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!