Main Menu

Rogue Trooper – Last Man Standing (IDW)

Started by Rogue Judge, 28 January, 2017, 12:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Leigh S on 30 January, 2017, 09:44:16 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 30 January, 2017, 09:40:27 PM
Go for it Leigh. I got the trade in a digital sale and everybody is right. It's the single best, non Al Ewing thing IDW have done. Both a smart update of the basic idea and a good Rogue story in one package.

Hmm - I see a cheap copy on Amazon marketplace.... you've twisted my arm!

You'll be glad you did! I got mine off of Amazon(.ca) during the Christmas holidays for so cheap I bought two - one for me and one for my brother; he enjoyed it so much he ended up ordering Tales of Nu Earth volume one & two as well!

As a stand alone it's a great read but leaves you wanting more which, unfortunately, will probably not happen. I look forward to hearing what you think!

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Leigh S on 30 January, 2017, 09:18:26 PM
I was tempted to get them as they came out but the art really put me off

Also, you don't like the art? He's no Dave Gibbons or Steve Dillon, but I think Ponticelli delivered strong art throughout the series. Its gritty and violent, which looks good on Nu Earth! And as mentioned, the colors work really well with the art too.

Leigh S

I think it is the design work more than anything - the norts seem a bit ess menacing and Rogue himself  - the helmet looks like a carved melon more than anything! But I will give it all a go, art and script

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Leigh S on 30 January, 2017, 09:45:23 PM
On a side note - author seemed to get a lot of praise for this - should Tharg look him up for something else?
Honestly, I'd be very happy if Tharg just got him on board for more Rogue Trooper.

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 31 January, 2017, 11:34:01 AM
Quote from: Leigh S on 30 January, 2017, 09:45:23 PM
On a side note - author seemed to get a lot of praise for this - should Tharg look him up for something else?
Honestly, I'd be very happy if Tharg just got him on board for more Rogue Trooper.

With Ben Willsher on art.

GordonR

I'd a drink with Brian a few years ago - we're both local to each other - and suggested he pitch to 2000AD.  Tharg-approved contact details were provided, but, as far as I know, he never took it any further.

He's primarily a novelist, so maybe he'd rather concentrate on his own stuff in that medium than work-for-hire comics stuff. 

Link Prime

I remember you mentioned that Gordon, always wondered if he did pitch to 2000AD or not.

TordelBack

Quote from: GordonR on 31 January, 2017, 12:04:32 PM
He's primarily a novelist, so maybe he'd rather concentrate on his own stuff in that medium than work-for-hire comics stuff.

Were the vast fees, sweet royalty deals, complete creative control and eternal fame not what he was looking for?