Main Menu

New 'Scream' collection by Hibernia

Started by Link Prime, 02 August, 2016, 11:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

I only sporadically pick up SFX magazine, but did so this month.
There was a nice feature on 80's classic Scream, which also revealed that Hibernia have a new collection in the works- including never before published stories and cover recreations for unpublished issues.

This is pretty exciting news!
David- what more can you tell us?

Woolly

Whatever this is, I'm there!
Hibernia releases, especially the Scream ones, are essential purchases.
Wonder which one this is?

Hawkmumbler

Dandontdare

Ooh, sounds exciting!

Hibernia always do a grand job with the editing and repro, and it's great to be able to read stuff that isn't likely to appear anywhere else.

M.I.K.

This'll probably be that comic archive thing that was first mentioned a couple of years ago, with interviews and an unpublished [spoiler]Nightcomers[/spoiler] story and stuff.

Woolly

Quote from: M.I.K. on 02 August, 2016, 02:56:42 PM
This'll probably be that comic archive thing that was first mentioned a couple of years ago, with interviews and an unpublished [spoiler]Nightcomers[/spoiler] story and stuff.

Oooh, that sounds rather interesting. I'll have some of that!
(To be fair, Hibernia could release Terror Of The Cats and I'd buy it  ;))

Jim_Campbell

If it's the unpublished Nightcomers stuff I'm thinking of, I had a hand in that, providing the lettering in my best Tom Frame style. It's good stuff. The strip, not my lettering. Although the lettering's not bad, either. ISTR recreating the series logo and Scream credit boxes, too...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

maryanddavid

I spotted that myself in SFX. Its coming soon, I had originally hoped to have it ready for two years ago, but for various reason it got bumped.
As MIK mentions its a Comic Archive, so its full of interviews, articles and yes, 16 unpublished pages from Scream, re-scripted by Siomon Furman and expertly lettered by our Jim.

Trout

BUY THE SHIT OUT OF THIS, PEOPLE.

I've read it (I'm proud to say I'm David's volunteer sub-editor) and it is tremendous stuff.

Link Prime

What're the chances this will be on sale in time for Halloween?

maryanddavid

Link Prime

You better keep your's crossed for Mayo on October 1st.  ;)

Rogue Judge

Everyone seems excited about this...could anyone shed light on what Scream is? Would EC's Tales from the Crypt or the Vault of Horror be the American equivalent?

AlexF

Scream was a very short-lived weekly comic, that you can roughly describe as a horror-comic equivalent of 2000AD. But it only published maybe 15 issues across 15 weeks in 1982. It was written and drawn by many of the people who were then working on 2000AD (Wagner, Grant, Finley-Day, Redondo, Eric Bradbury and the like). The most popular strips moved over into the 1980s Eagle comic.

The EC comparison is pretty apt - it was aimed at children but perhaps slightly more horrific than you might expect given that its target audience was 7-10 year-olds. Not as gory as a lot of 2000AD, mind, but plenty of death, often of the OTT / poetic justice variety.

Hibernia press have reprinted the best of the bunch already - The 13th Floor in particular is ace. (as far as I know! I've only read the collections, too young for the actual comic, me). Rebellion just reprinted Monster, which I gather was the most popular strip, and it is great stuff also (just not quite as good as 13th floor, in my humble Op).

Not sure what's coming next from Hibernia, but I'm excited to find out!

Rogue Judge

Thanks for the explanation Alex - I enjoy a lot of EC stuff (especially their war comics) so this sounds excellent. A complete Scream omnibus/collection sounds like it would be an easy and worthwhile release.