Main Menu

...LIFE ON MARS, 9pm TONIGHT, THE LAST EVER EPISODE...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 10 April, 2007, 01:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

Just watched it.

Fucking awesome.  I think that PJ is absolutely right in his explanation - proving that there is indeed a first time for everything.

Byron Virgo

If you truly understood the ending, you'd know that *no one* was right...and yet *everyone* was, grasshopper...

paulvonscott

Having pondered for some time, and been initially quite unimpressed at the thought, I have to say I'm looking forward to the next series of Ashes to Ashes now, I wasn't really but I like the way they've linked the two and some of the changes for the next series.

I also watched Detectives on the Edge of a Nervous Breakdown again, and that was good.  Shouting George of the Weeney, The Bullshitters, Jason Bentley and Spanker the moody 90's Geordie copper whoi is always looking out of the window.

'Once there were ships on the tyne... with big funnels...'

If anyone has enjoyed Life on Mars and hasn't seen any Sweeney for 20-30 years I can fully recommend it, it's uncut 100% proof guv-filled stuff.  I may have to start watching it again at some point.

DavidXBrunt

There's a sampler disc of The Sweeney available at Asda for £3, by the way. There's also one of Robin of Sherwood, and On the Buses.

The Adventurer

Ignorant US resident here, what exactly is The Sweeney?

I assume a 70s cop show?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, in terms of Gene Hunts character it's the defining influence. Two rough and tough coppers beat up nonces, shag birds, stop scrotes blags going off proper, and all in 50 minutes.

Sweeney - Sweeney Todd - Plod

And here's a decent blog with Simm and Grahams opinions on the ending

Link: http://blogs.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ianwylie/2007/04/life_on_mars_the_answers.html" target="_blank">Look at that blogger go!

The Adventurer

Hmmm... looks like there's a TV box set of the first series of The Sweeney hitting the States in June. I may have to check it out.

Wils

Sweeney - Sweeney Todd - Plod

I always thought it was Sweeney Todd - Flying Squad.

DavidXBrunt

You're probably right. It sounds about right to me.

Wils

Thinking about Ashes to Ashes; I don't really see the need to have any more time travelling, tbh. Having Gene Hunt transferred to the Met and coping with the changes in attitude and policing methods that were already starting in the early 80s, coupled with having a woman as a DCI would be strong enough for a series. Having Gene as the fish out of water in his own time instead of anyone going back from now would put a nice twist on things.

DavidXBrunt

A mate of mine suggested that a series in which Hunt gets hit by a car and wakes up in 2007 might be fun. Short term I think he's right.

Lobo Baggins

I always thought it was Sweeney Todd - Flying Squad.

Yer, it's yer actual cockerney rhyming slang for Flying Squad, not plod, which is a different type of thing all together (plod are named after the character from Noddy).

Course, septics (septic tank = yank) like the Adventurer tend to find rhyming slang completely incomprenensible, so beware...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

The Adventurer

Yeah, I've been pretty confused for a few posts now...

:(

Byron Virgo

Don't you chicken curry me old china, 'ave a butchers at this wind and kite on yer car and scooter for a Jimmy Shand with the old Chitty Chitty Bang Bang lingo, and all that pony:

Link: http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/" target="_blank">'Ave a Banana!

http://e-hobo.com/images/hoboes/230334137.jpg">