Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

I'm loving these - just a joy to listen to.  As much as I want to get to the more recent episodes, I'm dutifully working my way through from the beginning (on episode 22 now and getting through them at a fair rate).

Leigh S

Would not have put Bucks Fizz down as being concurrent with my ealry weeks of Squax Dek Thargoing!

SpaceSpinner2000

It was as that or "This Ole House" by Shakin Stevens which was this weird Elvis thing? It was too much for me, so let's do this "up with people" clone instead!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 25 September, 2017, 07:32:58 PM
It was as that or "This Ole House" by Shakin Stevens which was this weird Elvis thing? It was too much for me, so let's do this "up with people" clone instead!

My best friend at Primary school at the time I started reading also read 2000AD and was a huge Shakin' Stevens fan! (I was into Ska, because I have always been cool! :/) 

Just hearing that list of early (for me) Dredds, it is no onder I turned out such a cynical bastard - unemployment and the system will crush you every time - great message for a council estate kid to hear early!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling sixty-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 210-214 of 2000 AD, covering May of 1981. Join us as the mutant army attacks Upminster Palace, we travel the spaceways with Judge Dredd, head north with Meltdown Man, and near the conclusion of Return to Armageddon! Also we have an extended conversation about audio cassette tapes, and Fox's mind is blown by the existence of cassingles!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

Love it when the cultural reference is lost, mostly because it then makes me research the thing I knew, but didn't know why I knew!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobby_Lud

shaolin_monkey

Still catching up - in the late 50s now.

Re Fiends if the Eastern Front, there was a discussion about where they were from - Romania. Fox said 'Well, not Transylvania then.'

Transylvania is in Romania. I've been there - the place is creepy as hell, and you could totally imagine the vamps coming from there!!! :D

The Monarch

2000ad editorial wanted to do a fan club....ipc didn't because they were cheap as hell thats why it never happened

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Leigh S on 02 October, 2017, 05:08:30 PM
Love it when the cultural reference is lost, mostly because it then makes me research the thing I knew, but didn't know why I knew!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobby_Lud
This is excellent thanks! I tried to look it up but I thought maybe the "clarkie" thing was part of it? Awesome to get an answer!

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 03 October, 2017, 11:04:39 AM
Still catching up - in the late 50s now.

Re Fiends if the Eastern Front, there was a discussion about where they were from - Romania. Fox said 'Well, not Transylvania then.'

Transylvania is in Romania. I've been there - the place is creepy as hell, and you could totally imagine the vamps coming from there!!! :D
I think we both might have been thrown by the fact that it's called "Rumania" in the text, which I definitely assumed was a different but nearby place as Romania, in some kind of Paraguay/Uraguay type thing. Yes, I'm dumb.

Quote from: The Monarch on 03 October, 2017, 06:09:47 PM
2000ad editorial wanted to do a fan club....ipc didn't because they were cheap as hell thats why it never happened
I wonder if the anti-fan club sentiment in the reader profiles were cherry-picked, or even if they were completely made up! False Flag reader profiles!?!?!

Colin YNWA

Still loving the show and now I'm up to date with the weekly podcast it now comes with added anticipation! Its like reading the Progs all over again!

So in the latest (May 1981) you mention thinking that there was a James Bond scene with ice yachts fight is it possible this is being conflated with the ice yacht type thingie in Barbarella? Actually who knows as I might be misremembering that as well? Its been an age since I've seen that movie.

As for Return to Armageddon I completely see where you are coming from about the ending. The strip was always more about the journey than the destination, but in a way that makes it (the ending) work all the more. It reminds the reader that for all the batshit crazy stuff that led there this was still a sci-fi/fantasy story in a boys comic and all the wonderful stuff you had before plays out in wonderful juxapostion to the more traditional ending sequence.

That said even the end is stil kinda a little off kilter, you have nice reminders of what's gone before, as you say Seeker remains one of 2000ad great characters, though alas he appears less at the end. Also Amtrack while playing more of a typical hero role is still pretty bumbling until right at the end. He's always getting rescued and captured and what not. A nice gentle reminder that this is not the normal and while I do think the end is weaker than whats gone before seen as a whole for me it kinda works in its own wonky way.

Keep up the excellent work, I'm almost as excited as you are about some of the things that you'll be talking about soon. Still my favourite podcast out there and thanks for the continued efforts.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 03 October, 2017, 07:09:40 PM
I think we both might have been thrown by the fact that it's called "Rumania" in the text, which I definitely assumed was a different but nearby place as Romania, in some kind of Paraguay/Uraguay type thing. Yes, I'm dumb.

I think that one is an example of evolution of language - Romania appears to have been spelt 'Rumania' in British English until sometime in the eighties.  There doesn't seem to have been any sort of 'official' change over, though.  Weird.

Romanians themselves almost always pronounce 'u' as 'oo' anyway.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

M.I.K.

Yep. I still automatically spell it with 'u', because that's how it was written in most of the vampirey books I read when I was a kid.

WhizzBang

No collection again this week. I am not moaning as I can see Conrad put's an immense amount of work into this (the show itself, the Cradeline page, the Twitter feed, possible more) but these podcasts, along with the digital prog on Wednesday, have become highlights of my dreary week so I do watch out for them and get a bit disappointed when ther is a no-show.

Any chance of a Verdus Robo Hunter collection in the near future? I expect Flesh is a given

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 06 October, 2017, 09:38:26 PM
No collection again this week. I am not moaning as I can see Conrad put's an immense amount of work into this (the show itself, the Cradeline page, the Twitter feed, possible more) but these podcasts, along with the digital prog on Wednesday, have become highlights of my dreary week so I do watch out for them and get a bit disappointed when ther is a no-show.

Any chance of a Verdus Robo Hunter collection in the near future? I expect Flesh is a given

Really sorry about the slowdown in collections! My goal is to do a bunch to get back on track this week! I think I'm 3 or four behind and will try to get many of them out this week. Based on your requests, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling sixty-fifth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 215-218 of 2000 AD, covering June of 1981. Join us as the mutant AND the yujee resistance runs into some trouble, we learn more about the mega-rackets of Mega-City One, and we reach the end of Return to Armageddon! Also this episode marks the one year anniversary of our show, we're every excited! Here's to many many more!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!