Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: maryanddavid on 09 February, 2018, 12:12:10 AM
Quote"I've got them - I'm just not scratching" is one of my top 5 Dredd lines!
Same here!

'Behold the Beast' is one of the few 2000AD strips that freaked me out a bit at the time of reading for some reason, the others were annual Future Shocks. First was a Belardinelli drawn strip about reaching the edge of space, the other two I remember only a bit, a father and son shooting an alien and the other was a guy in a boat and a nuclear war.
Not thought of these in years, weekend reading sorted!

I know the last two are from the very first Annual, End of Voyage and The Monsters. I remember End of Voyage as being very striking and very bleak, ending with the head of the statue of liberty flying off into the sky, while I think The Monsters may have earned some of the very first airhorns when we came across it :D Both are in our ninth episode, which now seems like a million years ago!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Colin YNWA

One thing I keep meaning to ask, but being rubbish always forget is what you chaps think of Colin Wilson's art. I always think he gets very over looked and his eurocentric style is just perfect for 2000ad. You often mention the art and artists but to date I don't recall you expressing any thoughts on him?

Lobo Baggins

The reprints are in colour? They're not in my copy...

Weird!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 09 February, 2018, 12:22:03 PM
The reprints are in colour? They're not in my copy...

Weird!

That story has some odd parts in the scan I have of the annual, making me think that it was added in from another source or something. It's a scandal either way!

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 09 February, 2018, 06:28:53 PM
Another British cultural reference:
Dr Finlay's Casebook

Oh jeez!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 February, 2018, 07:30:27 AM
One thing I keep meaning to ask, but being rubbish always forget is what you chaps think of Colin Wilson's art. I always think he gets very over looked and his eurocentric style is just perfect for 2000ad. You often mention the art and artists but to date I don't recall you expressing any thoughts on him?

I think Wilson is a great sort of baseline 2000AD artist, if that makes sense. In my mind I have him in a group with guys like Mike White and Eric Bradbury, who all draw a realistic style that looks really good in the black-and-white pages of the progs, but aren't as instantly recognizable as some of the more famous artists. Honestly I sometimes lament our lack of art coverage, it's something I want to work on for the show. I'm trying to develop more vocabulary to describe how artists draw things but it can be hard going. That said, we're coming up on the Marauders storyline that both Wilson and Cam Kennedy worked on, and I'll try to shout him out a bit there. Oh and sorry for the double post!

Fungus

Ah. The art is something I have meant to mention for a while. Despite knowing you guys are loving the prog's art, it often (in early podcasts, I'm way behind) doesn't get mentioned. The craziness, dialogue and characters get covered and I'll sometimes think 'What about the eye-popping Bolland art?!'. Maybe I'm more visual. Recently, the love for Carlos in Fiends and early SD shone through, so I've watched it change... And describing art is HARD of course  :) What can you say about McMahon's Dredd without getting repetitive?!

My favourite podcast!

Fungus

PS. Mike White is fantastic in an unflashy way... His Tornado work in the recent Meg floppies reminded me just how appealing his style is, for me at least. Without being one of the 'big guns'.

Andy B

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 10 February, 2018, 05:19:45 PM
I think Wilson is a great sort of baseline 2000AD artist, if that makes sense. In my mind I have him in a group with guys like Mike White and Eric Bradbury

Strong disagree! I'd put Colin Wilson in a totally different league from those guys: for me, it's only the (lamentable) fact that he did so little work for 2000ad that keeps him from being one of the all-time greats.

His detailed 'realistic sci-fi' backgrounds and cool hardware designs were perfect for (the otherwise pretty dull) Rogue Trooper, and indeed for Dredd: he's in my top 10 JD artists despite only doing a handful.

But it's fascinating to hear other views!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Andy B on 11 February, 2018, 02:26:59 AM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 10 February, 2018, 05:19:45 PM
I think Wilson is a great sort of baseline 2000AD artist, if that makes sense. In my mind I have him in a group with guys like Mike White and Eric Bradbury

Strong disagree! I'd put Colin Wilson in a totally different league from those guys: for me, it's only the (lamentable) fact that he did so little work for 2000ad that keeps him from being one of the all-time greats.

His detailed 'realistic sci-fi' backgrounds and cool hardware designs were perfect for (the otherwise pretty dull) Rogue Trooper, and indeed for Dredd: he's in my top 10 JD artists despite only doing a handful.

But it's fascinating to hear other views!

Interesting! I'll definitely keep an eye out for his work going forward. I don't have a great head for a lot of the art stuff. I'm often more in an "I know what I like" mode while also looking for the big names. Like i said, I'm still learning a lot about evaluating the art for the the progs, and discussions like this are really helpful! For sure going to really try to discuss art a bit more on the show.

ming

Yeah, Colin Wilson is one of the all-time greats for me, despite a relatively limited presence in the Prog.  He definitely appeared to arrive fully-formed, style-wise*, and his ability with future-tech and looser 'Euro-styling is second to none.  I really need to pick up some more of his more recent work (and brush up on my French for all the untranslated stuff).

* That 'Sweet Taste of Justice' Dredd story in the 1981 Sci-Fi special was his first commissioned work from Tharg, despite other work seeing print in Progs first.

Tjm86

Quote from: ming on 11 February, 2018, 07:47:00 AM
I really need to pick up some more of his more recent work (and brush up on my French for all the untranslated stuff).

Amen!  I loved Into the Shadow of the Sun: Rael when Eclipse printed it.  It harked back to some of his Rogue Trooper work but with the influence of writers like Jodorowsky on display.  Regrettably they never published the subsequent volumes.  The other highlight for me was the few issues he did of Diggle's / Jock's "Losers" for DC.  A fun series all round and one of the many hidden gems that DC has produced over the years.

Colin YNWA

Just goes to show how subjective art is. For me Colin Wilson is amongst the 2000ad greats and miles ahead of Mike White and the more solid journey artists. So fascinating to hear him placed in with those by some.

I've always wanted to get some of his Blueberry as while I love his gritty sci-fi stylings and lapped up the Star Wars stuff he did, he does dusty landscapes and gritty beaten heros like no one else (well maybe Moebius himself!) and love his style.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling eighty-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 271-275 of 2000 AD, covering July of 1982. Join us as Sam Slade solves the case, Rogue Trooper reaches the sea, and the Fatties revolt in Judge Dredd! At the start of this episode Conrad says it's Progs 271-277, but that is NOT correct!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Leigh S

Belatedly to the party - Colin Wilson is also one of my top 2000AD artists - his Dredd and Rogue are up there with the definitive versions, most especially his grasp of believable and cool looking future ctechnology