Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

I think I ended up spoiling this for Fox in a later episode because Tomb of Terror is in the collection with that name.

And I think maybe it's the second part of Mean Team that's bad? This first section has some good action and the brain transplant stuff is inspired imo. It might also being 80s teens being too cool for sports comics? 😁
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 06 December, 2018, 09:08:06 PM
I think I ended up spoiling this for Fox in a later episode because Tomb of Terror is in the collection with that name.

Though thinking back - doesn't the very first episode foretell where Slaine will end up?  Blame Pat!

sheridan

SMF playing up - had to split my reply into two parts, otherwise it insisted that my reply was empty!

QuoteAnd I think maybe it's the second part of Mean Team that's bad? This first section has some good action and the brain transplant stuff is inspired imo. It might also being 80s teens being too cool for sports comics? 😁

I liked both parts - first was Mean Arena / Inferno-y while the second bit with [spoiler]post-apocalyptic, ruralised Earth[/spoiler] harked back to [spoiler]Meltdown Man[/spoiler].

Funt Solo

One of the things I love about 2000 AD, and this board, is that there's almost no thrill that's universally either loved or loathed.  Something for everyone.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 December, 2018, 09:46:23 PM
One of the things I love about 2000 AD, and this board, is that there's almost no thrill that's universally either loved or loathed.  Something for everyone.

Except 'Crusade' ...

In fact pretty much all of Millar's prog writing falls into that category.  Only artwork ever gives it any breath of life (Silo, I'm looking at you here ... and Robo-Hunter, Mr Hughes).

Funt Solo

I really liked Silo, don't remember Crusade and my opinions on non-Wagner/Grant Robo-Hunter are best left in the padded cell in my brain, gnawing at the walls in pathetic, drooling madness.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Steve Green

Mean Team is such an odd-one, like the switch from Blackhawk in Tornado to the Space Arena (or even the space arena to Silversun)

I guess maybe it was because sports strips fell out of favour a little, I don't know if 'The Beast' was pulling extra duties, with Robohunter, Dredd, Strontium Dog and Mean Team was the one that he didn't have much invested in, so Alan Hebden just took over.

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 December, 2018, 10:20:56 PM
I really liked Silo, don't remember Crusade and my opinions on non-Wagner/Grant Robo-Hunter are best left in the padded cell in my brain, gnawing at the walls in pathetic, drooling madness.

Mark Millar, Mick Austin on art, something about Vatican judges, who are nowhere near as interesting as Vatican paranormal investigators.

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 December, 2018, 10:20:56 PM

I think even with non-Wagner and Grant Robohunter, you still have Casanovas and Hughes art to raise it a little (perhaps if somebody went through them and made up new dialogue - or just removed what's there already).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 December, 2018, 09:46:23 PM

This, so very this.

Oh and I really like Silo and the first Manic Five as well.

WhizzBang

Thursday's 1986 Annual show was great - more non-British co-hosts please! It is always entertaining to hear the perspective of people who are new to it.

It was interesting that Zane thought the annual itself was a nice introduction to the wider 2000ad stable. I think this was also partly the point of these annuals. I certainly had annuals given to me for things I hadn't read, and if I liked them enough I would be willing to check out the weekly comic.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 06 December, 2018, 09:32:50 PM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 06 December, 2018, 09:08:06 PM

Though thinking back - doesn't the very first episode foretell where Slaine will end up?  Blame Pat!

Very first line of Slaine in Prog 330: "And so it begins... the saga of Slaine Mac Roth of the Sessair - mercenary, cattle-rustler and battle-smiter, who rose to become a legendary king of the tribes of the earth goddess."

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and thirty-eighth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 431-434 of 2000AD, covering August and September of 1985. This week Dredd deals with fatties, Nemesis and Torquemada team up, Mean Team hits 5000, and Sam Slade cracks up!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Dandontdare

If there was a category in the Spinnies for "comment most likely to come back and bite you in the ass" it's gotta be Fox's: "Mean Team - well I'm not hating this yet!" I find the art on Mean Team to be a long way below Belardinelli's best - when he's dealing with (mainly) humans rather than crazy aliens, his figures and composition are a bit static, it doesn't play to his strengths.

And I must lodge a complaint: I'm fine with American English having different words and spellings for some things (even the bizarre way you guys pronounce 'buoy') but in this latest episode, you committed the unforgivable sin, the one that sets my teeth on edge and cannot be explained by cultural differences as it's just plain wrong. I refer of course to LEGOS - the toy is called Lego (singular) and is composed of different sized Lego bricks (or blocks or pieces) but each piece is not called 'a Lego' and there is no plural of that word (rant over!)

This podcast has become part of my Monday ritual - I get in from work, pull out the relevant progs and read along. Keep up the great work - we've got Halo Jones III, plus some fantastic Nemesis and Strontium Dog action coming up, which I can't wait for.

Steve Green

I'm wondering what a Dwedd story with hundreds of Walters in an attempt to dwive Dwedd (and Fox) cwazy would be like.