Main Menu

Prog 2010: Your Move Eathlets

Started by James Stacey, 12 December, 2009, 10:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 16 December, 2009, 10:25:25 PM
Ampney made me think of Bix Barton and how much I loved him, but not in a bad way. The aunts in the story made me think of the actresses Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, That woman who was Dolores Umbridge in the Harry Potter movie and someone else I can't think of.
Looked kind of like Joanna Lumley in a wig to me, which made me think of Sapphire and Steel, which made me think of Arthur Ranson's artwork for the comic strip version in Look-In, which made me wonder what a Button Man story drawn by Simon Davis would look like.

flip-r mk2

Quote from: M.I.K. on 16 December, 2009, 11:00:28 PM
Quote from: Colin Zeal on 16 December, 2009, 10:25:25 PM
Ampney made me think of Bix Barton and how much I loved him, but not in a bad way. The aunts in the story made me think of the actresses Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, That woman who was Dolores Umbridge in the Harry Potter movie and someone else I can't think of.
Looked kind of like Joanna Lumley in a wig to me, which made me think of Sapphire and Steel, which made me think of Arthur Ranson's artwork for the comic strip version in Look-In, which made me wonder what a Button Man story drawn by Simon Davis would look like.
I think it's Diana Rigg (Mrs.Peel out of the avengers tv series).

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

M.I.K.

Does anyone have Patrick Macnee's phone number? He'd settle this!

TordelBack

I've only just started to digest this magnificent dessert course to the five-star meal that 2009 has been, but...

Dredd: Tour of Duty - Why is seeing Joe and Rico working together so damn brilliant?  And why does it give me a feeling of impending tragedy?  [spoiler]And as to Sinfield's bid to become a hairdo-free Cal... oh you foolish, foolish man.  Meddle not in the affairs of Maybe, for he is subtle, and quick to anger. [/spoiler]

Dredd: O Little Town - Fantastic concept, awesome execution, another step up for Ewing Dredd in terms of complexity ans an amazing companion piece to his Meg Christmas story [spoiler](note that the same racketeer villain drives part of both stories - is this a new Ewing regular, or just a clever one-off link? [/spoiler]). As to the heap of coincidences, i[spoiler]t's the bloody NATIVITY, its implicit in the structure- it has to happen this way: baby in stable, cute animals, Wiseguys from afar (loved the Frankinsence joke), all showing up n Bethlehem.  Pratchett would talk about stories forming ruts, but I suppose some sort of Cursed Earth meteorological phenomenon could have drawn all the players to Bethlehem instead, but the story was long and complex enough wihout adding another framing device.  [/spoiler]How great is Paul Marshall on this one.

Weston Shock:  Feck me but Chris Weston is a genius.  "Drokk!  Incoming Eldster!" has just been pipped to the post by the year's funniest line:  [spoiler]"Who can stop the coming of Astrodeus?".  "Sounds like job for Captain Condom!".[/spoiler]  (Because inside I'm still 12).

Aw crap I'm late for work, but:

Droid Life absolutely hilarious.

[spoiler]First series of Stickleback[/spoiler] heavily referenced in Ampney Crucis[spoiler] through the Chipps character..[/spoiler]. the Edgyverse grows ever more tangled.

Only niggle so far: no brand-new launches in this Prog, pity.  That first double episode of Kingdom set expectations, damnit!

Saving Stickleback, Dante, Zombo and Lowlife for later!

I, Cosh

Must we have all these spoiler tags for things that are in the Prog in question? It's bad enough when I've got a mouse to move, but it's absolutely infuriating [spoiler]on my new phone. [/spoiler]
We never really die.

Van Dom

So much for pacing myself and making it last, read half the bleedin' thing last night! ! ;)
Highlight so far - surprising myself here - was that Chris Weston story. My God that was brilliant. I really really really want this to come back as a regular series. Coolest bunch of spandex-clad superheroes I've ever seen. When i got to the last page I was in love with them all!
Bring them back!

The Dredd was brilliant but seemed a bit lacking for a xmas issue, just being a regular sized continuation of the ongoing story. Oh but wait, there's another one isn't there..... Haven't got that far yet!

Also, really enjoyed that letters page!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

James Stacey

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 December, 2009, 08:30:10 AM
Must we have all these spoiler tags for things that are in the Prog in question? It's bad enough when I've got a mouse to move, but it's absolutely infuriating [spoiler]on my new phone. [/spoiler]
browsing with an iphone makes spoiler tags a total bee atch

TordelBack

Apologies folks, I'd forgotten spoiler tags in the Review threads were annoying people - no point using them at all if that's the case, since they're only there as a courtesy.  I'm afraid it's a bad habit I'm finding hard to break.  

[spoiler]That'll teach you to use convergent technology devices.[/spoiler]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 December, 2009, 10:42:13 AM
Apologies folks, I'd forgotten spoiler tags in the Review threads were annoying people - no point using them at all if that's the case, since they're only there as a courtesy.  I'm afraid it's a bad habit I'm finding hard to break.  

[spoiler]That'll teach you to use convergent technology devices.[/spoiler]

Again, I think this was something (like the cover previews) we went through a few weeks ago. I tend to use them by reflex, but ISTR the consensus was that the Prog Reviews are under a Spoiler forum heading and, by definition, will contain spoilers, making the tags -- in this specific context -- redundant.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

People will moan if you use them, people will moan if you don't so just do whatever you feel like. Personally, I will sometimes browse the review thread if I don't have my issue yet so I tend to be quite careful with spoilers.

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 December, 2009, 06:33:17 AM

First series of Stickleback heavily referenced in Ampney Crucis through the Chipps character..

how so Tordel?
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

I may be misrememberifying (again), but I thought a Sgt. Chipps was Inspector Bey's partner who got done in when they infiltrated the caverns beneath the orgy in the first Stickleback story.  Fred Chipps is identified as the grandson of a copper who was murdered along with his boss in London.  All IIRC.  Progs in attic, usual disclaimers apply.

Roger Godpleton

Cover: Best of the year? Great Stuff.

Droid Life: Glad we don't get a parody at Xmas, the "originals" are always best. Great Stuff (DL scale).

Dredd TOD: If one them is to snuff it I'm putting money on Joe. Guessing Sinny wants to off Dan Fran. Great Stuff.

FS: Best thing in t'prog. Beautiful art. Kinda reminds me of The Filth. Really Great Stuff.

Stickleback: ZOMGWTFBBQ he's teh evils but he's teh hero of the strip edginton you blow my mind. Not looking forward to the fawn-ication over this in the coming weeks from you lot. Nice art though. OK Stuff.

Dante: I'm going to guess that EH is somewhat of a red herring as a mere pawn in Dimkady's plans. Would of preferred S.Fraser to draw but then I always prefer him because of his tight abs. Great Stuff.

Zombo: Billy should survive Bobastyle and get his own strip. I would read that. Looking forward to seeing these new villains even if they are "emos". Great Stuff.

Ampney Crucis: Spectacularly annoying dialogue. I want SI(N)MON-D(EX)AVIS back pronto. Nice art though. OK Stuff.

Low Life: Not sure if I approve of the heightened humour apartheid between DF and AN (related to Iain?) Loved the gargantuaturkey. Great Stuff.

Dredd OLTOB: Dare I say better than TOD? Ah, I kid. More bobastyle ordered for our anthromophs please. Great Stuff.

Overall:

__oooo
                                           //  /    o
                                         / /  |      o
                                        | /  |__     o
                                       | |   __/    o
                                       | |  /  oooo
                                      | /  |  _______________________
                                     | |   | |_______________________|
                                    ||    |___ \__/\_/\_/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                                    ||    |    \ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                                    ||    \     \ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                                    | |    |    |  \/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                                     | |    |   |   \/\/\/\/\/\/
                                      | |    \_/    |\/\/\/\/\/|
                                       \ \     \__  |/\/\/\/\/\|
                                        |         \
                                       |           |
                                       |           |
                                       |           |
                                       |           |
                                        |          |
                                        |         |
                                         |________|
                                         |________|
                                        ||         |
                                       | |          |
                                      |  /          |
                                     |  /          /
                                     /\|__________|
                                    |   /       /
                                    |  |       /
                                    | |       |
                                     \ |      \
                                      \ \      \
                                        \ \     |
                                          \ \    |
                                            \ \  |_
                                              \\_/ \
                                               |    |
                                               |   /
                                               |  |
                                               |_/

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 December, 2009, 12:35:58 PM
I may be misrememberifying (again), but I thought a Sgt. Chipps was Inspector Bey's partner who got done in when they infiltrated the caverns beneath the orgy in the first Stickleback story.  Fred Chipps is identified as the grandson of a copper who was murdered along with his boss in London.  All IIRC.  Progs in attic, usual disclaimers apply.

ooh, missed that completely, well done that man! I'll have deek tonight at me Stickleback book...fates permitting
DDT did a job on me

Dan Kelly

Very interesting,

Strange it's not picked up by D'Izzy in his Notes for Episode 1