Main Menu

Silo and Brigand Doom and Dave D'Antiques

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 February, 2009, 08:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Fair enough. I'll take that as a "no".

Back to the Millar bashing, chaps. Sorry for interrupting.
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 March, 2010, 09:22:41 PM
Fair enough. I'll take that as a "no".

Well, Googling him on his (correctly spelled) name yields nothing except one Batman story in 1995.

I would have thought his style was ideally suited to something like Batman, but for some reason that seems to be it!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Van Dom

Dave D'antiquis it says his name is spelt on Wikipedia. That's about all it knows about him though. I'd love to know more about him as well, loved his work.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Emperor

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 March, 2010, 09:16:09 PMUmm, any idea what happened to Dave D'Antiques?

In preparation for doing my Brigand Doom story in Zarjaz I thought it'd be interesting to see what he was up to as he had a strong visual style and I'd have thought it would have gone down well and he'd have been in demand. Unfortunately, I turned up nothing (an few can hide from my inquisitorial eye  :o). He might have gone into some other area or used an alias (but I'd have thought we'd have spotted it somewhere) or been kidnapped by Moonmen, but the trail is cold. I think a bit of a "Whatever Happened to.." discussion broke out (perhaps earlier in the thread) but nothing came of it. Pity, as I loved his work.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteI do think Millar is a wanker now.

I'm going to retract that. Having seen a few interviews with him, he doesn't actually seem that bad a guy.  Didn't like his lack of respect for Alan Grant or 2000ad in general, but fuck it, there are much worse things in the world than that.

John Byrne, for example.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 March, 2010, 09:31:38 PM
Didn't like his lack of respect for Alan Grant

For all his self Publicizing , using comics as movie proposals, crap writing for 2000ad  based faults I always thought he shown a healthy respect for Alan Grant. I remember reading somewhere, I think it might have been his message board an while abck, that he remains grateful to this day for the help Alan Grant gave him early in his career. Curious as to see another side to this?

JayzusB.Christ

Alan Grant himself complained about it in his recent Megazine interview.  He said Millar had spent a week or something in Grant's home, then went on to say that the old hacks of the comics scene needed to step back and let the new writers in.  Something like that, anyway. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Emperor

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 March, 2010, 03:34:40 PM
Alan Grant himself complained about it in his recent Megazine interview.  He said Millar had spent a week or something in Grant's home, then went on to say that the old hacks of the comics scene needed to step back and let the new writers in.  Something like that, anyway.

Indeed. The quote is:

Quote"I still get lots of scripts from people who want to be writers, asking if their work's good or bad. In almost every case I make a point of replying. It's very rare I don't, only if they say something that really annoys me." In several cases creators have gone on to careers in comics thanks to his help. "I've seen several people have mentioned me and any assistance I've given them, like Kev Sutherland.  I gave a lot of personal tuition to Robbie Morrison when he was starting out. He's acknowledge that in print.

"Grant Morrison has never mentioned what I did for him, I imagine he's too embarrassed to say somebody else helped him when he needed it. For my sins I helped Mark Millar, but I've never seen a good word from him. I have seen insults about me in print from him. At the time it bugged me a little. We let him stay at our house. A week later he's in the paper saying him and Grant Morrison are the true master of comics, not like yesterday's men who live in big houses full of antiques. F**k! I gave you your f**king tea! Why didn't you say that when you were here? The answer, of course, is simple - he'd have gotten a broken nose for his troubles."

Meg #268 page 22

Of course, this could be put down to a young and rebellious "yar boo, we are the best thing evah" phase he and Morrison went through (some of those old interviews would get them in a punch in polite society) but, as a link posted in the Kick Arse thread shows, he hasn't moved on much from this approach:

www.comicsalliance.com/2010/02/23/comicsalliance-vs-the-independents-mark-millar-article/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Mike Gloady

Wow.  Yet more proof that Grant Morrison and Mark Millar are on ONE side of a fence, and Alan Grant and Robbie Morrison (the TRUE Morrison) are on the other.  I'd guessed that was the case, nice to have it confirmed....
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Emperor

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 12 March, 2010, 08:24:45 PM
Wow.  Yet more proof that Grant Morrison and Mark Millar are on ONE side of a fence, and Alan Grant and Robbie Morrison (the TRUE Morrison) are on the other.  I'd guessed that was the case, nice to have it confirmed....

But who'd win in a fight?

Mike Gloady

New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

jamesedwards

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 12 March, 2010, 08:24:45 PM

Oh FFS man...

While they do stray far into "smug fucking bastard" territory far too often (and while I'll sadly admit G. Morrison is long past his best work) Grant Morrison and Mark Millar aren't the first guys to take an irreverent and disrespectful attitude to the comics establishment of their time... read that Judge Dredd Mega-History that came out 15 years back, and you'll be stunned to see John Wagner and Pat Mills took much the same attitude when creating 2000ad, albeit more privately. They fucking hated IPC and IPC staffers! Pat Mills is waaaaay more due a good slagging, since he's turned hypocrisy and double-standards into a personal trademark vis-a-vis rewrites.

Putting forth a good guys vs bad guys view is just... ugh. It's not nice to look at. Some of these people are bloody weird, and some of these people manage to write bloody good stuff. I don't need them to be saints if they can write stories I like (which is why Mark Millar can fuck off because his stuff is psychopathic racist drivel more often than not - count the number of negative black stereotypes in Kick-Ass).

I've never seen Alan Grant slag someone off out of nowhere, but he does spend an awful lot of time grinding those axes. He must surely have the sharpest axes outside of Brynerobotics. Grindy grind. Millar pissing on his hospitality stinks, but Alan Grant needs to get over things a bit more. Man seems to be carrying a lot of bitterness.

betel_uk

Quote from: Emperor on 02 March, 2010, 11:34:42 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 March, 2010, 09:16:09 PMUmm, any idea what happened to Dave D'Antiques?

In preparation for doing my Brigand Doom story in Zarjaz I thought it'd be interesting to see what he was up to as he had a strong visual style and I'd have thought it would have gone down well and he'd have been in demand. Unfortunately, I turned up nothing (an few can hide from my inquisitorial eye  :o).

I realise I'm bringing an old thread back to life but I've only recently registered and don't seem to be able to PM you Emperor... perhaps I'm just being a numpty! Anyhow...

Completely by chance I met Dave D'Antiquis the other day... he gave me some of his original 2000AD and DC artwork which was pretty cool of him! I don't think he's in the business any more and at the time I didn't really realise who he was so I only chatted for about half an hour or so.

He may have dropped of radar intentionally, but are you still keen to get in touch with him?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: betel_uk on 26 September, 2010, 01:29:41 PM

Completely by chance I met Dave D'Antiquis the other day... he gave me some of his original 2000AD and DC artwork which was pretty cool of him! I don't think he's in the business any more and at the time I didn't really realise who he was so I only chatted for about half an hour or so.

That is very cool. Its a shame he's gone elsewhere but hopefully he's enjoying whatever he's up to these days?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tweak72 on 24 February, 2009, 01:19:21 PM
Did Garth Ennis just pull Preacher out of his arse or did he get strongly influenced by storys of true grit from the Wild West?

That arse had talent, creativity and judgement. Millar, now well into his career, is still ripping movies off wholesale as evidenced by the blatant scene lifting that goes on currently in Nemesis, like the car splitting in two with the bike being ejaculated out the front. The fucker is just too cynnical with his audience, not just cynical in his stories but in his attitude to his lazy writing, basically he's saying this is as good as you, the reader, deserve.