Main Menu

Silo and Brigand Doom and Dave D'Antiques

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 February, 2009, 08:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: betel_uk on 26 September, 2010, 01:29:41 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 02 March, 2010, 11:34:42 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 March, 2010, 09:16:09 PMUmm, any idea what happened to Dave D'Antiques?

In preparation for doing my Brigand Doom story in Zarjaz I thought it'd be interesting to see what he was up to as he had a strong visual style and I'd have thought it would have gone down well and he'd have been in demand. Unfortunately, I turned up nothing (an few can hide from my inquisitorial eye  :o).

I realise I'm bringing an old thread back to life but I've only recently registered and don't seem to be able to PM you Emperor... perhaps I'm just being a numpty! Anyhow...

Well before we jump straight to "numpty" it is possible there is a setting that stops the newly registered from sending PMs as we have had a few rounds of spam PMs. That said I don't know if this has been done here... ;)

Quote from: betel_uk on 26 September, 2010, 01:29:41 PMCompletely by chance I met Dave D'Antiquis the other day... he gave me some of his original 2000AD and DC artwork which was pretty cool of him!

Damn straight - he did stunning work and I imagine those pages must be a sight to behold. I'd love to see a photo of them.

Quote from: betel_uk on 26 September, 2010, 01:29:41 PMI don't think he's in the business any more and at the time I didn't really realise who he was so I only chatted for about half an hour or so.

He may have dropped of radar intentionally, but are you still keen to get in touch with him?

I have no real need to contact him, I was just curious to see if I could find out what he was up to today (a lot of droids move on to movie or video game concept work) as I was a fan of his work back in the day. So, no need to bother him just to satisfy my curiosity but you can pass on our best wishes and perhaps point him in this general direction - it'd be great if he stopped in and said hello (although he doesn't have to, of course ;) ).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

JayzusB.Christ

I remember a Terror Tale he did written by Mark Millar about a mentally retarded guy helping to bring on a Lovecraftian Armageddon. I'll go out on a limb here and say I loved it - it was one of the few 'scary' comic stories that ever really put genuine shivers down my spine. Millar wasn't all bad.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Emperor

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 October, 2010, 06:58:36 PM
I remember a Terror Tale he did written by Mark Millar about a mentally retarded guy helping to bring on a Lovecraftian Armageddon. I'll go out on a limb here and say I loved it - it was one of the few 'scary' comic stories that ever really put genuine shivers down my spine. Millar wasn't all bad.

Not sure that was Millar as the only one they did together was fairly run of the mill.

I remember the one you mean, it was full colour and basically a young chap with learning difficulties says the world will end with the return of Cthulhu Mythos entities and then they do. I remember being impressed back in the day but the story didn't bring much extra to the table. The art was really well done - a big departure from his other work but still effective, mixing a very painterly approach with biro type scribblings of unnameable horror.

Just checking and it is "Even Death May Die" by Chris McHale in prog 841.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Emperor

Quote from: Emperor on 04 April, 2009, 11:05:37 PM
I thought there were some interesting ideas - ... throwing in Edward Bulwer-Lytton was an interesting idea but seemed a bit clunky (especially as he died quietly in Torquay, as far as I'm aware)

And what do I spy in Zenith Phase IV, prog 800? "The Coming Race" by Edward Bulwer-Lytton, last mentioned by Millar in prog 707. Lifted by Grant? Plucked by Mark from the Morrison's flickering meme-aura?

[edit: Ah ha, but it first appears in Zenith in prog 541.]

Fatboydale

In my never ending quest to find artwork .... i found a 2000ad artist Dave d'Antiquis , it has taken me 10 years , nobody knew where he was ....
I found him using all my contacts and £11 ( grrr long story ) well i got an email from him tonight ...... cmon......

He's got nowt left , all given away .... shit or bust , but sometimes its not about just buying artwork ...

Now to find my last 2000ad artist ....

ming

Good to hear you tracked him down Dale; the quest is (at least) half the fun.  What's he up to these days?

Link Prime

A few months ago I was scouring the internet for Dave D'antiquis original art also, as I loved his stuff.
Saw a few pages for sale on The Book Palace website, but they were already sold, and seemingly just left there to taunt / annoy me.

Bring back 'Brigand Doom' with Al Ewing writing it and D'antiquis out of retirement Tharg!

Did you ever get in touch with Jim McCarthy by the way Dale?