Main Menu

fan fiction

Started by GRIMM, 25 April, 2016, 10:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Banners on 26 April, 2016, 01:58:56 PM
So, it's just me who thought that was Scojo...?

No... it did have a certain Scott-ish quality to it, but the reasonable response to criticism suggests otherwise.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GRIMM

Banners, I'd rather have someone tell me it was total crap than to say nothing, so thanks for taking the time out. If a few more honest folks tell me likewise, then at least I will know that I needn'd take it any further! :-)

Professor Bear

Fair warning that I will be calling the lead character in my screenplay Grim Justice.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Banners on 26 April, 2016, 01:58:56 PM
So, it's just me who thought that was Scojo...?

Never crossed my mind.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

GRIMM

Jim, Banners,  I'm baffled, in what way did the story have a Scottish feel. I wouldn't know how to do that, short of making some characters talk like Middenface! :-)
Professor, go ahead, no worries, " GRIM JUSTICE " was just a working title.
Legendary Shark, be honest, do you think it's worth taking any further, incorporating the much-needed changes, or should I go back to the day job? Personally, I think there is a story in there, even if still needs a lot of work, but, then again, I would think that.
Tell me, guys, what should I do?
I thank you all again for commenting and also everyone who took the time to read my idea.

GRIMM

P.S.
Legendary Shark, I know that I also need to address the matter pf Dredd's only needing one hour's sleep too! :-)

Dandontdare

Quote from: GRIMM on 26 April, 2016, 05:35:45 PM
Jim, Banners,  I'm baffled, in what way did the story have a Scottish feel.

They are referring to a nasty little troll called Scott who used to post under the name Scojo - he was banned several times but kept coming back under new names. Jim could always sniff him out like a bloodhound, but his one defining feature was a total inability to take on board any criticism or disagreement whatsoever. He had a terrible Dredd screenplay that he was hawking around, and at one point actually claimed that John Wagner doesn't really understand the character of Dredd!

You sound far too reasonable to be him!

GRIMM

Thanks for clearing that up, Dandontare! I couldn't understand what Banners meant!
Hey, I hope my idea isn't terrible, too! Ha ha!
No, I know it's early days and I've never done this before and am greatful for any advice whatsoever. Hopefully I'll get a story out of it in the end, with much help from you guys!
This is only day 1 for me.
BTW, Wagner is a genius!! :-)

bluemidget

Hi Grimm,

kudos to you for posting your story,  you're a braver droid than me! :D  keep going though, as Neil Gaiman said: "put one word after the other until it's finished"

all the best!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: GRIMM on 26 April, 2016, 05:35:45 PM

Legendary Shark, be honest, do you think it's worth taking any further, incorporating the much-needed changes, or should I go back to the day job? Personally, I think there is a story in there, even if still needs a lot of work, but, then again, I would think that.

You don't need me, or anybody, to tell you whether to write or not. If you want to write it, write it; if you don't, don't.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

GRIMM

Bluemidget, thanks for the comments and support.
Legendary Shark, likewise, and thanks again for the suggestions. You have made me think of a few new ideas and, taking on board what you said it needed, I'm going to rewrite it and repost it!
Hopefully I won't get mistaken for Scojo by anybody next time! :-D

The Enigmatic Dr X

I can't help but feel that one day this thread will be locked.
Lock up your spoons!

GRIMM

Sorry, Dr. X, don't understand, I'm new at this, what does locked mean, - banned??
Why would I get banned for trying to write a fan story? Am I doing something I shouldn't?
Please explain, Dr. X.

Hawkmumbler

I'm actually rather enjoying it, keep plugging at it and do be sure to take on board Sharkys advice, he's penned a few excellent Zarjaz stories if memory serves correct. The key is don't stop writing (like I do, then never get around to finishing things or uploading them in any small way like a gobshite)

And what I believe Dr.X meant is their appears to be some form of community curse hanging about the name Sc*j*. No matter how hard people try to get back on topic the stain of that cretins memory somehow always brings about said thread to be locked. It's...odd.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks for the compliment, Hawkie - I appreciate it :-)

Yeah, and don't stop writing, Grimm. The key (I find) is to write the stories you want to read. This inevitably means that some of your stories won't be to others' tastes (I still get submissions rejected) but don't let that put you off. So long as you enjoy your writing, that's the main thing.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]