Main Menu

2000 AD Goes Global â?? One week and countingâ?¦

Started by 2000AD Online, 12 December, 2007, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

Yes .cbr is the way to go and frankly the online standard format.

Using pdf is lame and will actively hamper take-up in my opinion.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Pete Wells

Hmmm, I'm not convinced with Clickwheel yet either. If the 50 Year Man story that's on there is any indication, they really need to sort out the resolution. To make the text readable you have to make the images really pixellated - ugh! I hope this is just cos it's a tester and doesn't reflect the quality of the prog you'd pay for. Also, as others have said, cbr is the format of choice.

I wonder how much of an effect this will have on the paper version of the comic too? Will there be less splash pages to compensate for the 'frames' method of telling a story? What about things like Frazer's beautiful Necronauts pages where the flow and direction of the art added to the story so beautifully.

I applaud Rebellion for trying the new technology but am not convinced it'll work yet...

The Adventurer

I think, the problem with cbr. is if you release one (DRM free) cbr file to the world. It can suddenly be thrown up on any torrent site.

Granted any pdf can do the same, so what do I know?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Bad Andy

While .cbr might be the 'standard format' pdf will be accessible and understandable to so many more potential readers.

I've not got a clue what to do with a CBR whereas everyone and their dog knows a pdf.

I never really got into Clickwheel with the Ten Seconders preview which just suddenly stopped. When is the sequel planned for?

The Adventurer

I'm pretty sure we were supposed to see Ten Seconders Book 2 last year (I remember the advert for it and that John Smith series I can't remember the name of waaaaaay back in Prog 2007) but it never appeared.

So I assume, it should show up this year some time.

Shakara

There's a thing that confuses me also

Was there not an advert for Dead Eyes by ... Pat Mills and Lee Garbett?!

and then a few weeks ago it was Dead Eyes by Smith & Carter - - HMMMM

and WHAT DID happen to Ten Seconders I was lookin forward to see some painted Reardon

vzzbux

7-zip file manager does the trick for opening/converting CBR and CBZ files.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Rex Banner

$2.99 for Prog 2008 but it doesn't appear to be working just yet.

jabish

Tis Cheap alright, I think subscribers should be able to use their subs number to get a copy free of charge though. That'd be V Handy.

The Adventurer

I just paid. And my GOD. $2.99?! I'm paying near $10 on the physical copy! This is going to be the greatest thing EVER if that's approach price point of this from now on (I'm guessing making the 100 Page monster of Prog 2008 is more of a one time introductory thing). 2.99 for each regular issue is a great price point. Comparable with any printed US book.

The Adventurer

First thing that strikes me is that the resolution is still to low. Needs to be about 50 % larger.

The Adventurer

Also, anyone else have it save as an HTML file instead of a PDF?

pauljholden

The resolution would be fine, I think, if the lettering/text stuff was pdf text rather than part of the graphic (plus it'd allow you to search the files on your computer which would be fecking ace). Download was painless (although because Safari tends to render pdfs on the page, it felt like I had a blank screen for yonks before Safari eventually downloaded enough of it to display - next time I'll right click and save as.)

Grant Goggans

Oh, what a huge disappointment.  I was hoping to use PayPal.  Ah well.

The Adventurer

See, I love how it keeps my Credit/Debit Card attached to my account, like iTunes or Steam. For easy purchasing of new issues. The delivery system is spot on.