Main Menu

Terminator Genisys is a stinker

Started by matty_ae, 03 July, 2015, 12:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

If you're into time-travel exploration, you might like MJ Young's website, where, among others, he dismantles Terminator and 12 Monkeys.

NapalmKev

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 July, 2015, 01:01:49 PM
If you're into time-travel exploration, you might like MJ Young's website, where, among others, he dismantles Terminator and 12 Monkeys.

Interesting, but it could be reasoned another way. In the original Terminator movie Sarah Connor goes to a nightclub, if Reece and the Terminator hadn't intervened she might have met someone at the club, had sex with that person thus conceiving John Connor. John Connor then sends Reece to the past which creates a different 'John' who still grows up to be the leader of the Revolution. And no, I'm not drunk.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

NapalmKev

Quote from: NapalmKev on 07 July, 2015, 04:50:28 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 July, 2015, 01:01:49 PM

Interesting, but it could be reasoned another way. In the original Terminator movie Sarah Connor goes to a nightclub, if Reece and the Terminator hadn't intervened she might have met someone at the club, had sex with that person thus conceiving John Connor. John Connor then sends Reece to the past which creates a different 'John' who still grows up to be the leader of the Revolution. And no, I'm not drunk.

Cheers

Another look at the article and I see it already illustrated what I was saying. I'm going to get drunk.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 July, 2015, 02:57:44 PM
Guardian gives it 1 star in a no-punches-pulled slating:

QuoteThe whole dreary business drags interminably on, with not a single amusing or ingenious idea in its echoing metal head: a cynical franchisebot, machine-tooled to clank into cinemas and gouge money out of people.

Funny that's what I thought of the previous one!
DDT did a job on me

radiator

I haven't seen Genisys, but I'm curious - do they make any attempt to explain how a terminator was able to locate a child Sarah in the 1970s, when the first film makes it clear that both Skynet and Tech-Comm only had a name and vague location to go on due to all previous records being destroyed on Judgement Day?

Zenith 666

Quote from: radiator on 07 July, 2015, 11:42:22 PM
I haven't seen Genisys, but I'm curious - do they make any attempt to explain how a terminator was able to locate a child Sarah in the 1970s, when the first film makes it clear that both Skynet and Tech-Comm only had a name and vague location to go on due to all previous records being destroyed on Judgement Day?

[spoiler]no it's all left unanswered.taylor said this was intentional for sequels of which the cast is appĂ rently signed up for.[/spoiler]

ModsAndDrokkers

I have seen this twice as I am a big fan of the series, and although there are points of interest in this film,[ Old Arnie  versus young Arnie/ elaborate  time travel scenes/ revisiting scenes from the first film, a la Back to the Future Part Two, ] much of it is quite confusing [this isn't a dumbed-down film, it's just incoherent to follow at times, on the second viewing I was still none of the wiser] and some scenes are almost laughable as the actors portray desperate seriousness [oh alright, humanity is in danger of facing extinction, but it's handled not too convincingly].

Not boring though: plenty of exploding helicopters, extended mayhem and a cute female lead.

Not a great film overall though----the first three  in this series are superior to this in my view [Four is a true stinker, this new one is at least above that one]----- this new one also has far too much messy, overdone  CGI to boot.

Mardroid

I'm one of those weird people who like Salvation, apart from the acting.

I was really looking forward to this one, but got worried after the reviews...

But since I seem to like other films other people dislike (I was pleased to see a few others on here like Salvation by the way) I haven't given up hope.

Even if it's not that good I'll probably enjoy it.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 08 July, 2015, 12:03:26 AM
Quote from: radiator on 07 July, 2015, 11:42:22 PM

[spoiler]no it's all left unanswered.taylor said this was intentional for sequels of which the cast is appĂ rently signed up for.[/spoiler]
Isn't this exactly the same thing "Prometheus" did to such resounding non-success? When this movie fails (as it appears to already be doing) I look forward to the next tedious "soft reboot" or whatever they'll call it in a few years.

Mardroid

Prometheus. Another film everyone seems to dislike apart from me.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Mardroid on 08 July, 2015, 06:59:26 PM
Prometheus. Another film everyone seems to dislike apart from me.

And me!

I was ready to completely ignore this film but I've heard more than one person tell me some variation on 'it's at least better than Salvation!' and I actually found Salvation alright. Not great and not anywhere near on a par with 1&2 but certainly better than 3 and an enjoyable enough sci-fi action film.

It's convinced me I should actually at least give Genisys a shot, so aiming to go on Saturday. Expectations are very low, so maybe that'll work in its favor.

Mardroid

I watched it yesterday night.

I found the acting and dialogue a bit hammy in places, particularly that little exchange between John and Kyle at the start. And they overdid the Pops, freaky grin thing.

But... I enjoyed it. It was kinda confusing in places. And I'm not over keen on bringing in new time travel rules out of nowhere ([spoiler]that whole parallel world nexus point gubbins. Actually it's an interesting premise, but I think it's out of place in the Terminator-verse[/spoiler]).  And part of me isn't keen on resetting what happened in the other films, but on it's own terms as a great big chase movie, like the first two, it's acceptable.  The excessive CGI did not bother me, but it rarely does. In fact I hardly even notice it, just seeing things happen. I know it's done through CGI, but it looks fine. And I've often wanted to see what happened with the resistance war from the future perspective, and we saw a bit more of that from the start. We saw future war stuff in Salvation but that is set in a time period before the final battle, so this was welcome.

I do understand what people say about a bit of heart being out of the film though. I felt that a bit, too. It didn't seem to take itself as seriously as the other films, but I thought it a fun, thoroughly entertaining movie.

Incidentally, I wonder if that T-1000 [spoiler]should have had a different model number as it seemed to function a bit differently from the one in Terminator 2, with it's detachable autonomous parts, etc. But I guess the previous one was a prototype T-1000, and they made improvements. And while it did not have that functionality, that doesn't mean it didn't HAVE it.[/spoiler]

And I realise this is the first time the T-800 (don't click the spoiler unless you've seen the film, really don't care) [spoiler]survives at the end of the film. So now, he's kinda like the Terminatrix but without the cool gun arm stuff? Kinda convenient that the mimetic poly-alloy just, melded to him and worked (I know he said it required a CPU, and he has one, but even so) but it's a cool little addition. So if they make another sequel, he may be able to change his form, as long as it's another big chunky man. Heh.[/spoiler]

Oh and we got a bit of explanation why metal can't go through the time machine at he start. Of course that should apply to metal clad in flesh too, and doesn't explain why clothing need be removed.

HdE

Quote from: Mardroid on 10 July, 2015, 07:55:39 AM

Oh and we got a bit of explanation why metal can't go through the time machine at he start. Of course that should apply to metal clad in flesh too, and doesn't explain why clothing need be removed.

Well, the last time *I* travelled back through time to hook up with the mother of the resistance, I made the mistake of doing so in full gear. It was painfully itchy.

Why are you loking at me like that?

NURSE!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Tiplodocus

I quite enjoyed that.

It not perfect by a long stretch of the imagination but there's a lot of fun to be had especially at the start which is sort of  remix of T1 and T2 with witty paradoxes, alternate time lines and terminators popping up all over the shop. The opening scenes of Judgement Day are also well done. Sadly it suffers the same problems as Crystal Skull in that it finds itself stopping every 10 minutes for a bit of basil. And then it degenerates into a one on one terminator v terminator chase that we have seen before.

But go in with low expectations and there is fun to be had. Just a pity they front loaded most of it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mardroid

Oh I loved that [spoiler]twist[/spoiler] at the start where the cop who follows Reese into the clothing store (just like in the first film) [spoiler]turns out to be a T-1000 in this. Hee hee.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Okay it''s not the exact same actor/cop, but it's a great little homage to the first film.

And second I guess, with their utilisation of the T-1000.[/spoiler]