Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 May, 2011, 04:09:29 PM
The Only Sci-Fi Movie You Need to Watch for the Rest of Your Life, apparently...

http://gizmodo.com/#!5744805/the-only-sci+fi-movie-you-need-to-watch-for-the-rest-of-your-life

Quote from: JamesC on 04 May, 2011, 11:41:01 AM
What am I supposed to be looking at here? The link just seems to have loads of stuff about Osama Bin Laden.

Yeah, I got that too. But judging from Orlok's comment they're talking about Robot. I saw some of this recently and it truly is insane!

Oh and as well as Osama, the link did have a bit about lego sci-fi guns, but they kept calling them 'legos'

Bhuna

Recently upgraded to blueray, so picked up Wall E and UP during the recent 2 for 1 Disney offer (not the greatest Disney fan... Give me Warner Bros any day). Fantastic films.

I had tears in my eyes whilst watching 'Growing up together' scene in UP. Beautiful story telling at its best.
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

mygrimmbrother

The Rite. The Shite more like. Didn't Anthony Hopkins have a bit of a breakdown a few years back and complain that he'd wasted his life and should have worked down pit instead or something as it would have been far nobler than this acting dodge. What happened to all that guilt?

Keef Monkey

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 04 May, 2011, 01:27:01 PM
The Rite. The Shite more like. Didn't Anthony Hopkins have a bit of a breakdown a few years back and complain that he'd wasted his life and should have worked down pit instead or something as it would have been far nobler than this acting dodge. What happened to all that guilt?

For some reason whenever I hear about The Rite I get it mixed up with The Shrine, which came out around the same time and was actually a bit of a low budget gem (ropey effects aside). I'm always ready to jump to it's defense until I realize it's a different film being slagged! Will be sure to avoid The Shite Rite.

Tiplodocus

Finished KNOWING.

I was not expecting it to end like that*.  They seemed to forget the alcoholic bit in the second half and just had Cage's character looking all lost and confused (which he did well considering he has a lot of "cool" baggage that comes with him) and then when he found his solution [spoiler]and peace, and the reveal that there were hundreds of spaceships/angels/whatever[/spoiler], it was actually quite uplifing. So overall, a thumbs up from me.

* Possibly because I got this mixed up with another Nic Cage film where he can predict the future but uses the ability to dodge bullets/shage Eva Mendez or some such. Can't recall the name of that one now.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: chris_askham on 02 May, 2011, 11:48:34 AM
Crystal Skull is like watching an old man going to a fancy dress party dressed as Indiana Jones.

Oddly that was probably my favourite aspect of the movie.  I liked finding out What Indy Did Next, I liked that he had a long exciting life during and after the War, and I liked that he got the girl (and what a girl) in the end.  Combined with the better aspects of Young Indiana Jones it makes for a very complete biography.

I didn't like the fact that a man pushing 60 didn't bruise or even bleed when punched hard in the face by various Soviets.  In other words, I could have done with him being a bit older.

JOE SOAP

Being 'old' never hurt the Wild Bunch.

Paul faplad Finch

I've yet to see Crystal Skull. If you'd told me at any poiint in my twenties that a new Indy film would come out and that it would have Karen Allen in it, and that I would have almost no interest in seeing it, many moons after it's release, I'd have laughed in your face. Not really sure what happened. I'm sure I'll get around to it one day.

Watched Final Destination 2 the other day. I quite fancy AJ Cook and Michael Landes is very underrated imo but besides their prescence the movie had little to offer. Did get a little thrill from the fact that comedy relief copper was Chief Tyrol, pre middle aged spread.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Buddy

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 May, 2011, 10:30:52 PM
Quote from: chris_askham on 02 May, 2011, 11:48:34 AM
Crystal Skull is like watching an old man going to a fancy dress party dressed as Indiana Jones.

Oddly that was probably my favourite aspect of the movie.  I liked finding out What Indy Did Next, I liked that he had a long exciting life during and after the War, and I liked that he got the girl (and what a girl) in the end.  Combined with the better aspects of Young Indiana Jones it makes for a very complete biography.

I didn't like the fact that a man pushing 60 didn't bruise or even bleed when punched hard in the face by various Soviets.  In other words, I could have done with him being a bit older.

Watched Kindom of the Crystal Skull again tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.... it's a great film and probable my second fave after Raiders.

Yes it has silly bits but they all do.. The raft falling off the cliff in Temple of Doom... The library digging in Last Crusade.. the leap of faith in Last Crusade.. in fact Last Crusade is probably the silliest of the lot. But it's still great fun.

I thought Ford looked great in it and certainly wasn't showing his age. My biggest complaint with it is that we had to wait 20 years to see it!!

We could have had about 10 Indiana Jones movies by now if Lucas wasn't such a twat (I think i'm right in saying he was delaying things until 'the right story' came about). I'd have loved to have seen Frank Daradonds script filmed when it was supposed to be happening about ten years ago, as I'm sure he'd have dome a bang up job on it.

I like all the Indy flicks and just hope they get a few more made before Ford needs a zimmer frame to get about.

Spaceghost

Watched Detroit Metal City the other night. I've never read the manga or watched the anime and if they are anything like this dreadful film, I never will.

I found it so annoying. All the characters are irritating, it's impossible to relate to the main character in any way as he's such a loser and the plot just doesn't make sense.

I get that it's supposed to be a 'zany' comedy but it's just not funny either. The best thing about it is that Gene Simmons makes a cameo appearance as a rival, old-school British metaller whose best selling album is called 'Fuckingham Palace'.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Van Dom

Just watched '9' with my 8 year old and my 3 year old. About half way through, I noticed its actually a 12s rated movie but they seemed to be totally fine with it and were thoroughly engrossed. My 3 year old especially, who cant sit still for five minutes, gave this his complete, undivided attention for an hour and a half.

It's very good. A little scary (for kids) in places and a little sad as well. No spoilers but it has a large-ish cast of characters and, as is the norm with these things, a few of them fall during the course of the adventure. And they really fall, and stay fallen, no miraculous Disney resurrections around here. It's probably the first time I've watched something like this with the kids. I remember when I was about 7 or 8 watching a movie called Space Firebird, which had a similar type of ensemble cast of cartoon characters, most of which were killed during the course of the movie. That movie has stayed with me ever since and is the one I remember most powerfully from my childhood. I got that same kind of feeling from watching 9. Brought a lump to my throat I don't mind admitting.

It wasn't a Tim Burton movie but I wasn't at all surprised to see his name pop up in the credits as a producer. It had a very Tim Burton feel.

Worth a watch.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Van Dom on 06 May, 2011, 09:58:04 PM
a few of them fall during the course of the adventure. And they really fall, and stay fallen, no miraculous Disney resurrections around here.

Even the youngest kids have absolutely no problem with concepts like this. Fairy stories are gruesome, kids get it! The majority of child-centred 'product' is so pathetically sanitised that a 3 year old can see through it.

Orlok

Finally got to see Source Code. Very good and clever in places.
I balked a bit at the [spoiler]happy ending[/spoiler] but for the most part damn good.

Loved the Quantum Leapesque mirror scene in the bogs and noted with interest that the main character's dad was played by none other than Scott Bakula.

James Stacey

13 Assassins. I was expecting some over styalized House Of Flying Daggers type affair and got a solid old school samurai epic. Takashi Miike isn't Kurosawa but he gives it a bloody good go. Some of the characters seemed to be lifted from Seven Samurai but I'll forgive him that. I'd highly recommend it to any fan of the genre.

Hoagy

Quote from: James Stacey on 07 May, 2011, 08:08:24 PM
13 Assassins. I was expecting some over styalized House Of Flying Daggers type affair and got a solid old school samurai epic. Takashi Miike isn't Kurosawa but he gives it a bloody good go. Some of the characters seemed to be lifted from Seven Samurai but I'll forgive him that. I'd highly recommend it to any fan of the genre.

Off to see it tomorrow James Stacey san.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract