Main Menu

Memorabilia 2008

Started by Wake, 20 November, 2008, 08:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

I see what you mean with the eyebrows.

Is that some connection with Egyptian Pharoahs or Persian Kings?

Wake

Quote from: "ThryllSeekyr"Is that some connection with Egyptian Pharoahs or Persian Kings?

The story is that that Frank Hampson got a small scar over one eyebrow during WWII and he used this shape to as a basis for the distinctive Dan Dare eyebrows.

Here is the earliest depiction of Dan Dare's eyebrows, from the second Eagle dummy. He doesn't have them in the first Dummy as Chaplain Dan Dare.

I'm not sure if there are any photos which show Frank's scar, or whether this is definitely where the eyebrows came from.

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: "dandontdare"
Quote from: "el-lopo"Steven
P.S. I'm the guy doing the the Minty film, whose helmet you tried at Birmingham (so many forums so many different usernames).

How's that going? I remember reading about it some months ago, but nothing since

Thanks for the interest, yes it's still going on. After the initial visuals, which were more to do with whether it was possibly or not, we have been concentrating on getting the nuts and bolts together.

I am hoping to take our finished Judge Minty costume to Hi-Ex with me.

Dandontdare

Quote from: "el-lopo"Thanks for the interest, yes it's still going on. After the initial visuals, which were more to do with whether it was possibly or not, we have been concentrating on getting the nuts and bolts together.

I am hoping to take our finished Judge Minty costume to Hi-Ex with me.
I was hoping to make Hi-ex, but it's now looking unlikely (been forced to take all my annual leave days earlier than expected). Just make sure you post any cool pics or teasers on here as you go!
And Wake -- to know that much about the Secret Origin of Dan Dare's eyebrow is just about the most  :ugeek:  thing I've ever heard! You do make nice stuff though - I'd be interested in one of those Dredd badges if you ever do another run (though the TR site doesn't say how much they went for, or would go for in the future).

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: "Wake"I was there from around 1pm to 4:30pm on Saturday. I spent a fair amount of time at Jon's stall, which was near the Robot Wars arena and the rest was spent wandering around not spending any money and not being recognised as Dan Dare.

What a facist! The Imperial guard from Warhammer live!  :D

Liked your website's too!!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla