Main Menu

'Classic' comics you've never read (But would like to).

Started by Roger Godpleton, 05 March, 2005, 05:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroxian

Maus
The Tale of One Bad Rat

Steve

Art

I'd go for Doom Patrol, followeed by Sin City. Both of which are by top creators doing what they love doing, and both of them at the top of their game (well, for the earlier bits of Sin City anyway...). WildCATs has its fans, but lets face it is a for-the-money product of Moores wilderness years. It's better than a lot of stuff in that vien, but to be honest I'd go for just about anything else by Moore first.

ARRISARRIS

...i was meaning the issues that ran after Mr Moore left, not the recent rehashes, (sorry Mr Diggle), even though i have read them in the past, would love to see a collected volume on Scream...

The Amstor Computer

Heh, it's the Veitch issues I'm talking about, actually (though Dig-L's run on Swampie was pretty naff as well...). I couldn't believe the difference between Moore's final issue & Veitch's first :-(

Will I. Cooling

The Golden Age of Hellblazer-De Laneo and Ennis basically

Moore oddities-Supreme, Lost Girls and Big Numbers

Miracleman

Grant Morrison stuff-Zenith, Doom Patrol, Animal Man and Swamp Thing (w/Millar)

Luther Arkwright: Heart of the Empire (Got the first series at a good rate...some of the prices for Heart of the Empire are fucking stupid)

The Last American (Com X collapsed before I got round to buying it-anyone's got a spare copy then (puppy dog eyes and hand waving a 20quid note))

Maus

And then a load of French stuff that I can't read because I decided to sleep in French rather than learn the lingo.

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

colcool007

Read Maus II and that was so awesome, I want to get hold of the original.

Very few comics get into our hold and manage to last 24 hrs before being read, so my wish list for comics to buy and read are:

Maus (The original)
JD (the copyright infringement issues)
The Forever War (read an episode and it held up so well in comparison to the book)
The Crow (Karen wants them so badly, she is willing to draw blood, mine!)
Any Victors that we do not already have!
Batman: The Scottish Adventure. (Read it years ago and would enjoy reading it again)

ukdane

Has Com.x gone?
Cheers

-Daney

Trout

Ah, Miracleman. Yes, must get to that.

If I'm ever bloody well allowed to.

Also, Dane: READ V FOR VENDETTA NOW!

Satanist

I just re-read all Morrisons Doom Patrol and its still my favourite. Maus is great, read it now!

Ive never read Days of Future Past which Im told is a classic. Keep meaning to buy it but never do.

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

ukdane

There'sa Luther Arkwright article in next month's meg: I assume it'll be in the same style as the Modesty Blaise one- cool!

I liked Arkwright.

Trout: Will do.

Never read Miracleman either.. might get sued if I say I own it ;-)
Cheers

-Daney

irving9000

I want to read the 70's DC Phantom Stranger series, which is good cos I 've just won half of it for 50 quid on ebay.yesssss!nooooo!yeesssss!

Tordelbach

One of my long-standing unread classics was Wagner and Locke's  "A History of Violence", which I somehow had confused in my head with "Story of a Violent Comic" (don't ask), until I found it in a 2nd hand shop at the weekend.  Blimey but it was good.  Finished it late last night and then lay awake for several hours unable to get the final pages out of my head. Had to go and read Pratchett's "Hogfather" to dislodge the imagery. Ta for that, John.  Highly recommended.

Other things I've never read (but want to) include Moore's Image work (Supreme, various Spawn spinoffs, WildCATS etc.), Esiner's 'Contract with God', Astro City and Powers.

And for God's sake, people, read "V for Vendetta" before it's too late.  You simply could NOT be disappointed.

longmanshort

* All of Alan Moore's non-LoEG stuff (can't afford it all)
* Any progs before #530
* Doom Patrol
* Any X-Men stuff after 1998
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Trout

LMS, I can lend you lots of that. Just let me know. :-)

- The pusher

Dan Kelly

The only Eisner I have read is "Contract..."

I have not read Maus.  Or History of Violence, or much of Hellblazer (I blame the fact you can't tell which order to but the collections).

I have read Miracleman (I own books one and two from a pound shop clearout).  Love Swamp Thing

Not too impressed with Tom Strong.  Still trying to get my head around Promethea.

Dan