Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Yep,

I've already considered exchanging my existing TPBs for digital because of space and convenience, and reserving physical for a select few collections.

The Legendary Shark

Sharks are never satisfied.
I assume the "missing" episodes of The Cursed Earth won't be re-printed either due to those old trademark issues. Even though it's satire and even after this French cartoon/freedom of expression thing. It's okay to satirise a Holy Prophet but not the Jolly Green Giant? What a world.
That said, I'm a Dredd fan and will continue to get these books for as long as I can.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

Hachette has already confirmed those episodes will not be reprinted. Even thought current legislation surrounding satire would make something like that much more defensible in court, that doesn't trump previous legal agreements, which transfer with IP ownership. Rebellion remains bound by the agreement made all those years ago, unless it chooses to fight—which would be extremely expensive.

The Legendary Shark

I don't know all the legal ins and outs of it but there must be a way. A grass roots Squaxx/comic fan letter-writing campaign to the companies involved, asking them to relent, might be an option (worked for Star Trek). Getting the episodes re-drawn with altered characters might be another. Publish and be damned a risky third. A fourth option might be a deal; a percentage of profits from that particular book going to a charity of the IP holders' choice. Even (choke) a quid-pro-quo allowing so many uses of Dredd in ads - Eat your sweetcorn, creeps! Check your tread-depth - it's the Law, meathead! (Preferably, and probably, not.)
Anyway. Back to reality. *sigh*
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 February, 2015, 11:11:27 AM
It's okay to satirise a Holy Prophet but not the Jolly Green Giant? What a world.

Oh that's a good one!  Prepare to see me trot that out in future discussions of The Cursed Earth over the years, probably convinced that I came up it with myself on the spot.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 February, 2015, 06:32:47 PM
...Tharg/Hachette/Rebellion seem too tight to treat us...

Apart from the lovingly designed hardback edition itself, you mean? Apart from the newly commisoned cover artwork on Mechanismo and future books? Apart from the many little rarely/never-reprinted extra episodes crammed into the back of every other book so far to add value? Apart from the new intros and afterwords? Apart from the free subscriber's gifts? Apart from the thrillcast? Apart from the fact this collection exists at all?

Yeah, so bloody tight.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 February, 2015, 06:32:47 PM...relying on us buying the same old thing yet again (which we are glad to do, apparently)...

This collection is pitched at lapsed/new Dredd readers. It isn't Rebellion's fault that this is the Nth copy of Apocalypse War you've bought and you're starting to pine for additional value to justify the purchase.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Also, 200+ page hardbacks for a tenner? That alone punts this collection well clear of anything else in pure value terms.

The Legendary Shark

Everything you say is correct, which is why I said I hate Dredd, Hachette, Rebellion and Tharg and would never buy another edition of this egregious collection ever again.
I don't think it's wrong of me to want more, whether it's currently realistic or not. I'm reading the AW right now, again, and thoroughly enjoying it, again. If it was in colour, I'd be reading it with an erection, but it isn't so I'm not.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 February, 2015, 12:36:32 PM
Everything you say is correct, which is why I said I hate Dredd, Hachette, Rebellion and Tharg and would never buy another edition of this egregious collection ever again.

::)
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 February, 2015, 12:36:32 PM
If it was in colour, I'd be reading it with an erection, but it isn't so I'm not.

You haven't got to the tunnel-boring scene yet, I deduce.

BTW, has anyone ever seen TLS and TS in the same room together?

The Legendary Shark

Quiet, Lois - or I'll blow your on-line cover...
(Settle down at the back...)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Fungus

BPP

FP have voll 5 & 6 for preorder at 8.99.

No idea on the P&P.

Lovely cover to Mandroid.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

ZenArcade

We'll petri dish cells from both of them and come up with a Thryll Shark or The Legendry Seeker or what the heck, one of each....the forum would be some crack then. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]