Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Otter

Quote from: radiator on 10 November, 2014, 07:12:06 PM
Tried a quick practice game of Love Letter the other day. It's OK, but rounds seem to end suddenly, often randomly. I suspect it's much more fun when played with more than two players.

Oh yeah, for Love Letter I'd reckon at least four for a good game, like Coup. You should give a look at The Resistance as well, but you'd want a good few for that.

radiator

I may have asked earlier in the thread, but does anyone know of anyone really good two-player games?

Timothy

Quote from: radiator on 10 November, 2014, 08:17:59 PM
I may have asked earlier in the thread, but does anyone know of anyone really good two-player games?

Mr Jack Pocket is very good. As is Agricola All Creatures Big and Small. Coin Age is a current hit too.

radiator

The Enigmatic Dr X

Anyone played Zombicide? Saw it in Waterstones and thought my boy might like it.
Lock up your spoons!

Ancient Otter

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 14 November, 2014, 05:44:55 PM
Anyone played Zombicide? Saw it in Waterstones and thought my boy might like it.

Played it for the first time last week (had three games so far). It feels like a standard co-operative game, in like the more you do and improve your character, the more the difficulty increases. One of the people I played with wasn't too mad about it because he felt  there's nothing special about mechanics wise (he also felt you could have tacked on any setting to the rules), but the production values and contents are great which is what sells it.

Can a very difficult game to win at - players really, really, need to plan out how to go about the mission at the start once you know zombies appear and at what quantities and levels.

I, Cosh

So, I still haven't played this Carcassone set I bought in April, although my mate swears he's up for a game this week but I've heard it all before. What I have done in the past couple of days, however, is watch about a dozen episodes of Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day's Tabletop.

I'm sure you game boys are all over this, but I'd never heard of it. Favourite episodes have probably been Munchkin (with Steve Jackson) and The Resistance. The games which rely on more banter and horse-trading between the players are better suited to the format.
We never really die.

radiator

Whatever you do, take Carcassonne with you if you're spending Christmas with family. You'll have a great time. Just familiarise yourself with the rules first. Beats Monopoly, Charades or Eastenders Christmas Special any day.

I'm fully intending to spend the few evenings over Christmas playing Ticket To Ride, Carcassonne, Love Letter and Cards Against Humanity with my nearest and dearest, cannot wait!

radiator

Just left the fam. Ticket to Ride: Europe (which I'd bought as a gift for my sister and brother in law) went down an absolute treat - we had two full 5-player games and much to my surprise and delight everyone was really into it, but Cards Against Humanity was the standout. Haven't laughed so much in a long time. Think I've successfully sold a couple more copies of each.

Great stuff, really brought everyone together and made our Christmas.

Dandontdare

Quote from: radiator on 28 December, 2014, 12:46:48 AM
but Cards Against Humanity was the standout. Haven't laughed so much in a long time. Think I've successfully sold a couple more copies of each.

We played this at my brother's on Christmas,  but only when suitably oiled. There's always one or two who manage to get through the whole game without understanding what the hell is going on, but that just makes it funnier.

radiator

Saw this on Amazon and it looks intriguing - has anyone here played it?

Never knew that IDW made board games!

Machi Koro: http://www.amazon.com/IDW-Games-665IDW-Machi-Board/dp/B00JGHCBZA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

JamesC

Played quite a bit of Qwirkle with various family members over Xmas.

It was a new game for us but it went down very well. It plays a bit like a cross between Scrabble and Dominoes but is very simple to pick up, quick to play, very suitable for all ages and there are no arguments about the legality of moves.
Highly recommended as an easy to learn and easy to play family game.

TordelBack

Quote from: JamesC on 06 January, 2015, 04:51:36 PM
Played quite a bit of Qwirkle with various family members over Xmas.

Qwrikle was the big new board game hit with us too, played it almost every day over Christmas with varying combos of relatives, to universal acclaim.  Great stuff.

New expansions for Munchkin, Pokemon and Carcassonne also provided much fun, and a very enjoyable obscure insect-based lotto game called Bug Bingo had a lot of very-small-child appeal too.

NapalmKev

HEROQUEST!

Treated myself (been Debt Free for just over six months now) to a copy of the Greatest Boardgame ever devised, as my original was destroyed years ago. Cost me £79.99, plus P&P, and it's in absolute Mint condition.

Proper Chuffed!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"