Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Dominion looks great, but a little daunting with all those cards. Can't imagine anyone I know would be interested in playing it, sadly.

I'll give Mr Jack Pocket a punt as it's very cheap.

I should really watch some more episodes of Tabletop, but there's something about Wil Wheaton that I find a bit grating. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but I find it hard to make it through those videos.

JamesC

Another one I really like is Death Angel. It's basically 'Aliens' the card game and is very fast paced and quite simple. It may fail the nerd test though.

Boss Monster is good fun too. I'm not sure if the 8-Bit Video Game style art makes it more or less geeky but it's quite a funny game. Possibly some balance issues but it's one of those games that's so good natured you don't mind if you lose.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: radiator on 06 April, 2015, 04:53:27 PM
I should really watch some more episodes of Tabletop, but there's something about Wil Wheaton that I find a bit grating. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but I find it hard to make it through those videos.

I don't mind the show at all - it depends on the guests for me.

Betrayal at House on the Hill and Last night on Earth are two games i really enjoy. The Betrayal epsiode of Tabletop was fantastic, because the three guests were charming, engaging, and really seemed to have genuine fun playing the game. The guests for the Last Night episode (and Felicia Day* in particular) were terrible.

*Regarding Felicia Day - I get the feeling that she's probably awesome to game with when the cameras aren't on her, but gets too "look at me" when she's on the show.

radiator

One of the best things about this board games renaissance is that it has pretty much solved that yearly quandary of choosing Christmas presents. I've just started to get pretty much all my family board games every year and they go down a treat. There's so much variety on offer in terms of type, complexity and price range that it's really easy to choose games tailored to each person.

locustsofdeath!

Remember - Saturday is National tabletop game day, so make sure to celebrate by breaking out your favorite boardgames.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 09 April, 2015, 01:42:31 PM
Remember - Saturday is National tabletop game day, so make sure to celebrate by breaking out your favorite boardgames.

Worth calling into your local gaming shop or board game club, they might be running events for the day. I'm off to a all-day boardgaming convention myself.

locustsofdeath!

Rocked Space Hulk, Blood Bowl, and 40K at the local game shop for Tabletop Game Day. 11-11, but the hours flew by!

JamesC

I picked up a copy of Tsuro yesterday after seeing a demonstration. Haven't had a chance to play it yet but it looks very accessible. I'm hoping it will prove to be a good family game like Qwirkle has been.
Could be just the thing Radiator is looking for too.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: JamesC on 12 April, 2015, 07:43:47 AM
I picked up a copy of Tsuro yesterday after seeing a demonstration. Haven't had a chance to play it yet but it looks very accessible. I'm hoping it will prove to be a good family game like Qwirkle has been.
Could be just the thing Radiator is looking for too.

Tsuro is a really quick simple game, the Tsuro of the Seas version lengthens it but it mightn't be worth getting both if you have one. I prefer the first one.

radiator

I have Tsuro. If anything it's perhaps a little TOO simple. Every time i play i feel like 'is that it?'.

locustsofdeath!

Kickstarter for a boardgame version of Pat Mills' Requiem. Minis look gorgeous (but then they all do nowadays).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dreamship/requiem-vampire-knight

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 14 April, 2015, 07:16:23 PM
Kickstarter for a boardgame version of Pat Mills' Requiem. Minis look gorgeous (but then they all do nowadays).

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!
@jamesfeistdraws

Third Estate Ned

There are some great recommendations on this thread. A friend of mine often asks if I want to come to his role playing club but it all sounds a bit serious since they first research the historical environments their games are set in.

Instead, I bought him Munchkin for his birthday so we could play something easier. If it's good I may get the Apocalypse version for myself so I can use the Judge Dredd expansion. It says here it will be out in autumn 2015: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/. As I understand it, the Dredd set will only be an expansion of the Apocalypse variant and incompatible with the original Munchkin set.

Has anyone played the Apocalypse version to compare it to the original Munchkin?

locustsofdeath!

Games Workshop's first boardgame release in years (besides the Space Hulk reissues and the FF releases) hits stores this Saturday: http://www.spikeybitsblog.com/2015/04/new-assassin-game-contents-revealed.html

SIP

Cool. Are there any more details about game play knocking about?  Do we know an age range etc?  Cheers!