Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 02 July, 2015, 09:31:45 AM
From here: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/news/archive.html

You said you can play Munchkin with 2 players, Sheridan, but I had thought the minimum was 3 (I haven't played it yet). Do you have experience with 2 players, with modified rules maybe?

Nope - just quoting the box.  Though the rules PDF says 3-6.

I'm waiting for Dredd before buying Apocalypse as well (though already have the Mars Attacks! booster, to recreate one of the better IDW offerings).

Tiplodocus

Do we talk about Card games on this thread?

About to go camping and want something other than UNO to play at nights.

I understand there are lots of modern style card games (not Ace, King, Queen, Jack type cards) out there.

What would be a good recommendation for three players; me, Mrs Tips (slightly more prudish than the rest of the family) and Tiny Tips (now actually 15 and following in his father's footsteps)?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 July, 2015, 01:20:44 PM
What would be a good recommendation for three players; me, Mrs Tips (slightly more prudish than the rest of the family) and Tiny Tips (now actually 15 and following in his father's footsteps)?
I got Fluxx recently. Only played it a couple of times but it's quite fast and fun.

And, of course, if you get bored of playing it you can say stuff like: "Not bloody Flux again!"
We never really die.

Third Estate Ned

Do we talk about Card games on this thread?

About to go camping and want something other than UNO to play at nights.

I understand there are lots of modern style card games (not Ace, King, Queen, Jack type cards) out there.

Do you have Love Letter?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129622/love-letter

I have the Kanai Factory version rather than the standard version because I prefer the art. As Sheridan says, there is a Munchkin themed version as well as there being Batman, the Hobbit and Adventure Time. This is the version I have:

Another card game I got based on high recommendations is Star Realms, which is advertised as a two player game but included a sheet with rules for 3. I've not played it yet but people talk highly of it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/147020/star-realms

Neither of these games will set you back much.

Timothy

Good fun to be had with Welcome to the Dungeon. Again, reasonably priced.

sheridan

Quote from: The Cosh on 02 July, 2015, 01:34:45 PM
I got Fluxx recently. Only played it a couple of times but it's quite fast and fun.

And, of course, if you get bored of playing it you can say stuff like: "Not bloody Flux again!"
I'll back up Fluxx (lots of different editions available - Family Fluxx may be best to cater to Mrs Tips, though have a look at the other themed versions available).

Monopoly Deal - at least one person I know who really does not like Monopoly (understatement) has a copy of this.

Love Letter (as someone else mentioned) is a good one - takes a few minutes to learn, available in different themes.

radiator

It's not a card game, but I'd certainly recommend the travel edition of Qwirkle for a camping trip - you'll need a flat surface like a table, but not a huge playing area.

I'd also highly recommend keeping scores with the Scorekeeper XL app.

Tiplodocus

I picked up Pirate Fluxx and Hobbit Love Letter. Thanks for the recommendations.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Satanist

Bought Boss Monster a few weeks back and have played a couple of times with the family. Its a card game where you as the villain have to build a dungeon full of treasure, traps and monsters to tempt in the heroes. First to kill 10 heroes wins. Rules are very simple (so easy for kids to pick up) and the cards (and box) are designed to look like an old NES game. Really enjoyed it so far but imagine it would wear thin after regular bouts.

Also played Cards Against Humanity while on hols which was a good drunken laugh and was worth the money just to hear my 70 year old dad spout obscenities. I imagine this gets boring even faster than the above.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dandontdare

Quote from: Satanist on 23 July, 2015, 02:06:27 PM
Also played Cards Against Humanity while on hols which was a good drunken laugh and was worth the money just to hear my 70 year old dad spout obscenities. I imagine this gets boring even faster than the above.

I think that to work, this game does require:
a) lots of alcohol
b) at least one elderly relative who isn't quite sure what they're doing.

Richmond Clements

I'm now far too deep into an X-Wing addiction...

Woolly

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 July, 2015, 02:25:57 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 23 July, 2015, 02:06:27 PM

I think that to work, this game does require:
a) lots of alcohol
b) at least one elderly relative who isn't quite sure what they're doing.

Theres a few expansion sets that come with blank cards, which are recommended.
And yes, alcohol makes the game what it is.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 23 July, 2015, 03:40:20 PM

You get the epic ships?  ;)

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 24 July, 2015, 09:47:42 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 23 July, 2015, 03:40:20 PM

You get the epic ships?  ;)

Managing to resist them at the moment, but I know I NEED the Rebel transporter for the X-Wing pilots...