Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Got another board game as a wedding gift, Pandemic Legacy. Have played a couple of vanilla games of Pandemic using it just to learn the rules, as it advises doing that before you embark on the 'legacy' part of it, which sounds reeeeeeally interesting.

Basically it seems you play it as a campaign over 12 months, the decks are designed to be drawn in a very specific order over the course of that campaign and as you play the rules and conditions will change permanently. You'll be told to put permanent stickers on the board, to rip up cards never to be used again and there are chunks of the rulebook which are blank as those will be filled with new rules as the game goes on. Characters receive scars and traumas from month to month and can be perma-deathed (cards destroyed and everything).

Never played anything like it really, should be very cool.

TordelBack

I've been fascinated by Pandemic Legacy since I first heard about it - reports on the early stages sound great, but there really is zero chance of my being able to play regularly enough to make it work.  Please let us know how you get on, Keef.

Keef Monkey

I know what you mean - this is for 2-4 players and I doubt we'd be able to get a group of 4 together regularly enough to do it either, board game sessions with friends are way too sporadic for us to do most campaign-style games! I think we can commit to doing a couple of 2 player games a month and getting through it that way mind you, my one worry is that we'll be getting a bit of a diluted experience for not having a full team. Will see how it goes and report back!

Third Estate Ned

Is it OK to discuss miniature-related stuff in this thread?

Christmas for me means rooting around in my parents' loft and this time I was rewarded by finding Space Marine (6mm Epic scale), box still in great condition. Yet, as they were stored separately, not one miniature was inside. They were pitilessly slung away for recycling long ago. Has this happened to anyone else? At least everything else from the game was intact.

I was further sickened to find out the cost of replacing the out-of-production components, based on the collectors' prices on Ebay. I've recently plugged the gaps of my Hero Quest set, so I don't feel like doing it again beyond replacing the lost Land Raiders and Rhinos.

Instead, I found this marvellous idea on the web that I wanted to share in case it's of use to anyone.
This gamer
printed out aerial views of infantry squads from pictures of computer game sprites and stuck them to card to create his army. I never would have thought of that. I think it looks OK, if used alongside miniatures for vehicles, buildings, etc.

As far as I know, if it's not for distribution, it's legal. But if this isn't the case, feel free to put me straight and I'll shut up.

Here is the sort of image he used.

Unless anyone has any old miniatures for sale, these will do for gaming purposes.

sheridan

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 09 January, 2016, 03:59:54 PMIs it OK to discuss miniature-related stuff in this thread?

S'okay by me - a video games thread and an everything-else gaming thread.  The alternative would be a boardgames thread, a cardgames thread, an RPG thread, a wargames thread, etc.
QuoteInstead, I found this marvellous idea on the web that I wanted to share in case it's of use to anyone.
This gamer
printed out aerial views of infantry squads from pictures of computer game sprites and stuck them to card to create his army. I never would have thought of that. I think it looks OK, if used alongside miniatures for vehicles, buildings, etc.
There seems to been something similar in Games Workshop's Judge Dredd RPG back in the eighties (those ones could stand up though).

TordelBack

The JD:RPG cutouts were great, the judges were taken from a number of artists, so you could be a Colin Wilson judge, a McMahon judge, a Bolland judge etc. Lovely floorplans and moveable hab-furnishings too.

Could be misremembering, but I think a lot of early GW games came with cut-out armies and terrain. Certainly the first two Warhammer battles I ever played did. The awesome SJG Car Wars too. Hard to imagine that happening now.

And of course many games since have done likewise.

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 09 January, 2016, 07:43:09 PM
The JD:RPG cutouts were great, the judges were taken from a number of artists, so you could be a Colin Wilson judge, a McMahon judge, a Bolland judge etc. Lovely floorplans and moveable hab-furnishings too.

Could be misremembering, but I think a lot of early GW games came with cut-out armies and terrain. Certainly the first two Warhammer battles I ever played did. The awesome SJG Car Wars too. Hard to imagine that happening now.

From GW's point of view, the JDRPG cardboard cut-outs were just stand-ins until they'd released the lead miniatures.  Flicking through my WH40k rulebooks (1993 and 1998) and WFRP rulebook it looks like, with the advent of fairly detailed plastic figures, they'd ditched the idea of cardboard stand-ins for starter units made up of identical figures, though the equipment list in the 1993 rulebook does feature card cut-out ruins, Ork dreadnought and the line "Although this is no real substitute for a Citadel model, it does allow you to fight a game immediately using the extra Dreadnought rules in this book".

Colin YNWA

The Marvel Superheroes RPG from TSR too, that had brilliant counters and maps.

Third Estate Ned

Speaking of card-based Judges, the JD Munchkin Apocalypse is available for pre-order. I don't know whether that means it's imminent or whether it just means it will definitely be out but they don't know when.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/sjg4248.html

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 09 January, 2016, 09:16:10 PM

From GW's point of view, the JDRPG cardboard cut-outs were just stand-ins until they'd released the lead miniatures. 

Ah, but  in addition to the main game and excellent scenario Judgement Day IIRC they also included cutouts (not as nice, mind) in the boxed campaign Slaughter Margin (still cringe at Nip-Cit), which was released well into the Citadel run. Although I seem to remember mainly robot dogs, for some reason.

While we eventually ended up using lead minis, badly painted by me, for the PCs (except when they were on bikes, only has one of those), the cutout served us for perps and citz for ages. The original underpass floorplan and the Titan moonscape from Judgement Day have since been used by me in a half-dozen SF RPGs and minis/skirmish games, very useful. And here's the point: cutouts made the game playable from the start, and were still useful as the gaming supplies expanded.

The Warhammer FB scenarios I remember being fully cardboard-based are The Dolgan Raiders (Citadel Journal 1985) and Bloodbath at Orc's Drift (anticipating a Dabnett pun by 30 years). Here's a sheet for the former, FOR REVIEW PURPOSES ONLY:

Pretty nifty, really, especially when paired with the school photocopier (ah the perks of producing the school magazine). Used hand-coloured duplicates of that cart for years in my D&D campaign, cocktail stick axles adding a Ben Hur chic. Still have the wolves and the wheels in my minis box!

Ancient Otter

Heh, they reprinted Car Wars two years, all the counters came punched when I got it! Still have black and white maps.

TordelBack

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 10 January, 2016, 10:32:24 PM

Heh, they reprinted Car Wars two years, all the counters came punched when I got it! Still have black and white maps.

Did they really! Have to look into that. My brother ran off to Australia with his copy of the original, and OUR copies of Sunday Drivers, Crash City and my personal fave Truck Stop, as well as (IIRC) the last thing we bought, Uncle Albert's Catalog, which was awesome. Man we spent hours with that game, but because he owned the base set we were only ever allowed play it on his bedroom floor - when he got it originally we shared a room, so I never even noticed,  but once he got his own room (when the procession of student lodgers finished) the game went with him.  Brothers, I ask you.

sheridan

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 10 January, 2016, 11:31:30 AM
Speaking of card-based Judges, the JD Munchkin Apocalypse is available for pre-order. I don't know whether that means it's imminent or whether it just means it will definitely be out but they don't know when.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/sjg4248.html
I hope so, been waiting since late 2014 now, though unfortunately nothing in that link makes me think it's any closer than it has been for the past year :-(

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 13 January, 2016, 01:53:25 AM
I was thinking of these of theses...

One of which I brought from a comic bookstore down south very cheaply. From which I was provided with hours of informtainment while living rough in Sydney

When began imagine sort type computer game where you could build you own Mega-City populate with the famous characters from the book.

The book was pretty worn though and I purchased another through Ebay in near mint condition along with

The books aren't with me now, I vividly remember carrying these into the other house I'm moving into.

I once did have plans to own every board game related to 2000AD, and so far only bothered to buy tow of them....

I only remember one clearly called Block-Wars....

And the other I have no recollection of it.

Because they are not where I thought I left them and it odes look like somebody walked into our house and into my room and did a snatch n grab while I wasn't looking.

It's the home violation that really hurts and the fact that people in my family are not going to support my fears and accusations.

Yet, they probably thought I wasn't using those any way and decided to relieve me of their burden .

I also had my sights set on a near mint Rogue Trooper board game , but I lost interest in getting any more of those, because I don't have any friends that do that and I'm bound some of the tiny pieces of cardboard.
I did realise after I posted that something went missing from my room. That those game box and the other one I don't recall might have been left piled on shelf right next to the bed I never sleep on  and totally obscured. Because my bed is right next to this shelf and I hardly  bother poke around down there. Anyway, it does turn out that the game box still alludes me. Unfortunately!!!

I have also remembered now that I am now missing the boxset rules for Gangs of Mega City One possibly Urban-Warfare.

I think the box only had the manual in it. Maybe there were some leaflets as well. I don't think there were any plastic model, you know those rectangular plastic things that are holding a few of the little plastic minatures combined.  Nah, I don't think there was anything like that. Just a outdated manual. It was in good condition as I had ordered this through Mongoose Publishing brand new, but the b ox did look a little squashed by the time it got to me.

Those rules are now obsolete and they has since rereleased a later adaption of the rules for free download. I think I have those somewhere on my computer. I think.

I still like the old one boxed edition just for the sake of owning it and it appears to have gone missing as well. it was piled on the same shelf I think. Next to a row of every Judge Dredd Case File I ever brought bar another three which I always kept in the room I have my pc and television in.

I stopped buying those along with physical paper copy of the weekly prog because I knew I would not have the room to keep them all. I only buy the ones I really, really like, although now that I am shifting house and the place will be all to myself. I might try and source all those J.D.C.F. I have now missed along with the rare editions. So far, I have only brought up to #12.

Back on the subject, of G.O.M.C.1. When I found out how odd the rules were, I did kind of lose interest. For instance they were nothing like what I learnt about Warhammer 40k and Fantasy.

I only wonder how it might fare as computer game since I don't get the opportunity to play these person to person games so much anymore because of the direction my life had taken over ten years again.

Is it possible that this game can be adapted to pc, and console the same way Warhammer 40k has been with the Dawn of War games and the new fantasy adaption to Total War series.

Just consider those possibilities......

Keef Monkey

Had mentioned to a friend that I'd been after a copy of Space Hulk for a while, and by serendipity someone from his board game club decided to sell theirs the next day for a very reasonable price. Chuffed, haven't played it in over 20 years I think but remember it being fantastic.

The other upshot is that to go and collect it I went and met the guy at the board game club and had a look around and am now thinking of going along regularly. I'd known about the club but nerves and social anxiety meant I hadn't been comfortable just turning up, but the people I did speak to were really friendly and it seems like it could be a great way to get some regular gaming done (I manage to get a session organized with friends very rarely which is frustrating).

Figured I would share the link here in case it's something other Glasgow boarders might be interested in or don't know about - http://www.g3gamers.co.uk/