Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

ordered exploding kittens to take on holiday based on recommendations above - sounds fun! Anyone tried the NSFW version?

Satanist

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 24 May, 2016, 12:05:27 PM
The dice isn't rolled, so you shouldn't need to chase it. It's used in war for each player to indicate how many resources they are willing to commit to the conflict in secret.

Thanks as that wasnt made clear in review I watched, this just makes my decision tougher now as I REALLY liked the look of it.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 24 May, 2016, 12:05:27 PM
The dice isn't rolled, so you shouldn't need to chase it. It's used in war for each player to indicate how many resources they are willing to commit to the conflict in secret.

Precisely. You set the dice (D12) to the desired value (or a surrender flag) behind your hand and then reveal it - it's a kind of bluffing minigame (although most races should avoid war at all costs - it'll ruin you). A scrap of paper would work just as well, but there definitely isn't any rolling. The only randomness is in initially drawing your home Territory and possibly your Race.

Damnit, I want to play it again right now. I have some new strategies in mind... Must. Defeat. Boy.

radiator

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 May, 2016, 02:09:08 PM
ordered exploding kittens to take on holiday based on recommendations above - sounds fun! Anyone tried the NSFW version?

I have the Kickstarter edition of both versions (the Kickstarter-exclusive version has a concealed sound chip which makes a loud 'meow' every time the box is opened!). What's nice is two decks (both original and/or NSFW) can be combined to play with up to 8 players (5 being the limit with a single deck), and both decks also fit into the original box.

As for being 'NSFW', I would say it's fairly tame. One card has the word 'motherfucker' on it, and I'd have to check but IIRC there's nothing else that would be too offensive or vulgar for kids - mostly it's fairly mild potty humour type stuff. Have a look at The Oatmeal's website to get an idea of the kind of humour - Cards Against Humanity this ain't.

There is also an iOS and Android Exploding Kittens app available which is fantastic and plays like a boiled-down version of the card game. It works using bluetooth so you don't need a wifi connection to play with friends, and the sound effects really add another dimension to the game.

radiator

QuoteAs for being 'NSFW', I would say it's fairly tame. One card has the word 'motherfucker' on it, and I'd have to check but IIRC there's nothing else that would be too offensive or vulgar for kids - mostly it's fairly mild potty humour type stuff. Have a look at The Oatmeal's website to get an idea of the kind of humour - Cards Against Humanity this ain't.

Actually, scratch that - thinking about it there are a few slightly salty cards that might be a little much for younger kids. Think a 12A certificate movie in terms of language/filth.

radiator

Another card game I'm hearing fantastic things about is Arboretum, but it's rare as rocking horse shit at the moment.

I've managed to source a copy from France as I'm desperate to get it for an upcoming road trip. Hope it turns up!

I'm looking into getting a few extra 2 player games for aforementioned road trip.

Problem is that my girlfriend is extremely fussy about games - she can be totally put off even giving something a chance if she deems the theme or packaging unappealing (I think Arboretum should be a winner is this respect), and in terms of gameplay, the simpler and easier to pick up the better. It's always a struggle to find some common ground between the types of games she likes, like Guess Who, Battleship and Connect 4 (which I find a bit banal and tedious), and the types of games I like, which she often finds boring or overly complex... ::)).

I'm currently mulling over Kahuna, Battle Line, 7 Wonders: Duel, Odin's Ravens and The Rose King (veering towards Rose King due to its similarities to Chess, which she likes).

As ever, I'm open to recommendations. I already have Patchwork, which she doesn't like, and Jaipur, which she won't give the time of day.  >:(

Modern Panther

Planning to play the fourth mission of Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective tonight.  It's an excellent game which just eats up the hours.  Its works like a "choose your own adventure" game book, but rather than being given specific choices about where you can go or who you can speak to, you're just given a map of London and an address directory.  You decide where you want to go and look up the relevant numbered paragraph in a gamebook, gaining new information as you go.

First time we played it, I reckoned it would take about an hour.  Three hours later I was pacing the floor, making lists of suspects and coming up with motives.

TordelBack

Wow, I'd no idea Consulting Detective was still around! Played two games when I was a kid ( early 80s?) and we couldn't make head nor tail of it. I think we all refused to play it again, much to the horror of the friend who'd splashed out a small fortune on it. Love to try it again now!

Modern Panther

I think it was reprinted in English last year, and apparently the company are planning to publish some expansion stories later this year.  (They're already out in German). 

Satanist

Bought Star-Fluxx and Star Realms for train journies. Played a few games of Fluxx and its a good laugh.

Played a game of Jamaica at the weekend. A much more traditional (for want of a better word) game than we usually play. We all really enjoyed it as it's our first racing style game. The whole pirate theme works really well and it went down a storm. I know its sad but the way it all fits in the box is just fantastic, almost a puzzle in itself. I lost as per usual 

Next up is Shadows Over Camelot which looks quite complex for the kids but we'll give it a bash and I'm looking forward to the traitor mechanic.

Mrs has her eye on Lords of Waterdeep which again looks a bit complicated for the kids but I might just buy it as a wee surprise next pay day.

Still havent got round to X-wing or Ghostbusters

Satanist

Played first game of Star Realms last night with the Mrs and lost. Never played a deck building game before and quite enjoyed it, though there does seem to be a lot of different stratagies to take what with attack, defend, heal, pairing up units and then all the bonus actions you can get.

Downloaded it for my phone and will now secretly practice to and from work until REVENGE!  :lol:

The Enigmatic Dr X

They sound good, Satanist.

Child friendly? I am going to London and back by train with the family in July.

And, also, had a great little game of Talisman with the boys on Sunday. Except I died.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

Played our first game of Arboretum the other night - the scoring feels slightly overcomplicated but other than that it went down really well. Even the girlfriend liked it - success! I know the look of a game shouldn't matter, but the fact that this one is so undeniably attractive-looking seems to really draw people in.

The only downside is that, for a card game, it needs quite a bit of table space, so probably not a great one for camping or the train.

Satanist

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 15 June, 2016, 07:45:45 PM
They sound good, Satanist.

Child friendly? I am going to London and back by train with the family in July.

And, also, had a great little game of Talisman with the boys on Sunday. Except I died.

Star Realms can get quite complex with a lot of stratagy so would say about 10 upwards bare minimum though havent tried it with the kids yet. Though it has rules for extra players I think its mainly a 2 player.

Star Fluxx is great fun and has loads of geeky refs to Dr Who, Star Wars/Trek etc.

Do you have Love Letter? I've got the Batman version and its good, simple and quick. Takes up no space at all.

Satanist

I was given the game Cosmic Encounter for fathers day (and a bag of jelly babies).

Had our first game last night and boy is this a game designed to make children cry and adults fall out. You all have 5 home planets and they have 4 ships each. The aim of the game is to form 5 colonies on any other players planets, you achieve this by invading and/or negotiating.

The real selling point is that there are 50 different alien races and each of them has a special power that breaks the games rules.

I would say though that you don't get a lot of game for your £40 so probs a bit over priced but if you play board games a lot and with all the possible different alien combos no game should be the same.