Main Menu

Kevin Cullen work and collection.

Started by Sparkz, 27 November, 2019, 12:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparkz

Hello everyone,

I'm acting on behalf of Kevin Cullen's sister.

There's a lot of Kevin's work and collection here that we think would be much more appreciated by the fans. I'll be going through it soon to see exactly what there is. So far I can tell you there is some work on his PC which can be put onto a HDD or individual memory sticks. There's also lots of scripts on the PC along with some very early comics in digital format including the amazing Spiderman collection. In paper format there are some very old sci fi books and comics and of course lots of his work including Judge Hershey sketches etc.

I can discuss with anyone that's interested and can specifically look for anything that you might be looking for.

TordelBack

Hi Sparkz,

I hope this doesn't come across as woefully insensitive coming from an anonymous nobody on a comics site, but do I understand from your post that Kevin has passed away?  I really hope I have the wrong end of the stick here, but if not, this news had completely passed me by, and please could you extend my sincere sympathies - and I'm sure those of all of us on this forum - to his family and friends. 

Kevin's work in 2000AD and particularly in the Judge Dredd Megazine was instantly recognisable and utterly distinctive, and often a highlight during a bumpy few years for the two publications. Even when the scripts he was working with may not have been the most scintillating, Kevin's art was always atmospheric and innovative. I always wondered where he had got to after that spell in the '90s, and what he was up to. 

Sparkz

Hi TordelBack,

I'm afraid so. I thought it may not be well known on the forum but yes he has passed away. I have been family friends with his family since I was a child and was always a fan of the artwork around the house from a young age.

His sister has kept the ones she wants for herself but now the rest is available for the fans. She is hoping to raise some money and make sure the art work goes to people who enjoyed his work.

TordelBack

Ahh I really am sorry to hear that, my condolences to his family and all who knew him. It's probably been 25 years since I read The Creep and Judge Hershey, but I can still see those strong graphical shapes, charcoally textures and flashes of pastel colour in the dark: really nothing like anyone else was doing - 2000AD's answer to David Lloyd.

I don't collect art myself, but I know plenty of folk here do, and I'm sure Kevin's work looks amazing in the flesh. Very best of luck helping his family.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Very sorry to hear of Kevin Culler's passing. Deepest sympathies to all his friends, families and the many fans of his art.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Rately

Very Sorry to hear this news.

Kevin's art stood out against a lot of the art in the Megazine at that time.

Sparkz

Hi,

I'm having difficulty replying to the private messages as I'm new on the forum and must have restrictions. I cant reply in the message centre or even from here to your emails...so, please if your interested in Kevin's art could you send me a message and include your email for me to reply to. There is Hershy and Creep originals and quite a bit more. I'll go round soon and take pictures of everything that she wants to sell.

There is a unique chess like board game that he made and hand crafted all the pieces himself and wrote the rules for it. Needles to say its the only one in the world and the detail is insane. It really is quite something.

Hope this message gets to the guys that have messaged me.