Main Menu

Love to see Mark Harrison back on Durham Red

Started by matty_ae, 28 April, 2016, 08:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

In DC tradition its SD Earth 2, both valid?

Link Prime

Quote from: Leigh S on 30 August, 2016, 11:35:03 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 30 August, 2016, 09:17:07 AM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 30 August, 2016, 02:12:38 AM
Okay, so, (without going back to check out the old issues which I can't be bothered doing right now), is her eventual destiny in Abnett's stories the only thing that specifically ties into the Hogan stories? 'Cos if that's the only problem I don't see any reason why things can't turn out the same way in the 'real' version.

It was a little bit more intricate than that.
In some scenes featuring the (seemingly) old and feeble Queen Mum Red there were callbacks / mentions of characters specific to Hogan's Strontium Dogs (from memory- Bullmoose Saxon, Toroni, The Goth King).

Any other reader can look at it as they choose, but for me, any story set in that universe since The Final Solution is now non-canon.

plus there is no mention of Johnny Alpha's resurrection!  Of course, she may have done the weird stasis thing before he came back, but he hasnt exactly been quiet since returning, so you think she might have picked up on the fact he came back from the dead in her absence?

It just doesn't fit.

Like his run or not, Hogan masterfully pulled together and referenced all of the loose threads post The Final Solution (Ennis' Strontium Dogs, Grant's Durham Red and Middenface McNulty, and a flash-back tale with Johnny & Wulf penned by himself).

All of those stories took place in a sandbox where Johnny was already briefly resurrected (as a tortured soul trapped in a slab of meat by the Lyrans, as portrayed in The Darkest Star) and finished off once more.
The 'new' Doghouse (Ganymede) set-up at the start of Hogan's run also doesn't fit with the Wagner ret-con.
The less said about the Feral ret-con the better...

Let's go with David's idea- alternate realities.

Link Prime

On topic, I'd just like to mention that I'd also love to see Mark Harrison back on Durham Red, his most synonymous 2000AD character.
Maybe a reboot or fresh take with a new writer? Emma Beeby perhaps?
If Abnett would be willing to return that would also be welcome of course.

This thread also has me thinking- has Dark Days Bishop ever revealed the actual reason why Hogan's burgeoning Stontium Dogs & Durham Red epics stuttered to an Alan Smithee penned halt?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: matty_ae on 28 April, 2016, 08:23:07 PM

It's clear that the re-defined Durham Red is still visually a definitive version.

No, no it isn't. You cannot make bold assertions like that. You are Donald Trump and I claim my 5 groats.
Lock up your spoons!

matty_ae

It is a bold statement in retrospect.
Maybe even undefensible!