Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

I was re-reading The Restricted Files last night, and the story "Mega Miami" where illegally smuggled robots from Mexico were referred to as wustbacks, sorry, rustbacks. I remember reading this as a kid but it wasn't until much much later that I first heard the term 'wetback' and the penny dropped.

AlexF

Ace Trucking Co's 'The Doppelgarp' involves a planetful of chickens and fowl-based puns, from 'Rooster Cogburn' to the 'Dave Cluck Five' - two of the jokes I did get as a child. Local scar-faced gang boss, Al Capon, flew right over my head until a recent re-read, now armed with the knowledge that a 'capon' happens to be a small variant of chicken.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 September, 2014, 05:40:13 PM
Don't knock Tayto Park, it's surprisingly good fun - and in the process of expanding (much like its client base).  However, despite the most elevated expectations, you will still be shocked by the quantity of crisps you will consume/acquire during your visit.  Some stereotypes are just oft-repeated facts.

Good catch on Yod there, Bubba - never knew that.

Quote from: sauchie karate club on 08 September, 2014, 06:08:49 PM

Me neither. Douglas Wolk points out the frequent mentions of Lobsang Rampa in the work of Wagner and Grant too, suggesting that obscure, semi-comic, mystical figures occupied a significant place in their imaginative lives. Grant says Wagner went through a phase where he wore a kaftan - maybe they had the same flirtation with alternative lifestyles and quackery as the rest of the ME generation.

Cheers, a big surprise to me too as I read that story forever ago. I missed references to Lobsang Rampa...are there any links to the Wolk mentions? ...well, if handy, much appreciated.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Frank

I'd never heard of Rampa or noticed the recurrence of the name until I read Wolk's blog - I'm sure I just thought it was a funny MC1 name, and it strikes me that might be just as likely an explanation of the apparent fascination as any possible Grant/Wagner interest in mysticism. One mention I did notice after reading Wolk's blog was a road sign reading Lobsang Ramp in the Wagner/Burns Megazine Dredd story Sleaze:

Quote"Satan" has a brief sequence involving one Lobsang Gump. That first name has shown up a few times over the years in Dredd-universe stories (including one of the Branch Moronians, and the more recent "Lobsang Rampage"); it has to be a reference to the dubious British mysticist Lobsang Rampa

http://dreddreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/judge-anderson-psi-division-shamballa.html

As for the other new-to-this-survey material here: "Lobsang Rampage"--another Lobsang Rampa joke!--isn't great, but it's the only Andy Clarke-drawn episode that's not part of a longer arc (although it calls on the Nero Narcos stuff for context)

http://dreddreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/mega-city-masters-03.html

I, Cosh

Got to be deliberate then. Isn't Sleaze part of the lead in to Doomsday and Lobsang Rampage during the aftermath? Is that what those links actually say?

Kind of assumed the latter was a reference I was missing but thought it was maybe an MC1 thing which my lack of Megs had cost me.
We never really die.

Bubba Zebill

At some point they may have had an interest in these alternative lifestyles...if you can call it that...but Father Earth really takes the mickey out of guru's...as do these Lobsang Rampa references. A youthful dalliance turned sour with the wisdom of maturity maybe perhaps. Good for them - and good for us  :)
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

James Stacey

Is it possibly the source of Lobster Random too ?

Dash Decent

Maybe we need an "Annotated 2000AD" thread to point things out as they come through?

Aux Drift = Rorke's Drift.

Though the burning issue remains why none of the Aux has been called Ronnie Barker.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dash Decent on 10 September, 2014, 11:23:56 PM
Maybe we need an "Annotated 2000AD" thread to point things out as they come through?

Aux Drift = Rorke's Drift.

Though the burning issue remains why none of the Aux has been called Ronnie Barker.
Good one. Hopefully you can get a royalty on that if Abnett tries to sneak it in.

Sadly, I am old enough to remember (and have built the cutouts from) the old Warhammer scenario Bllodbath at Orc's Drift so you wont catch me like that.
We never really die.

Staz Johnson

Quote from: Bubba Zebill on 08 September, 2014, 09:23:59 AM

Maybe this is the most obvious thing in the world (it certainly seems to be now) but it went right over my head until last night.

The Judge Dredd story 'Father Earth' printed in 1979 was obviously a dig at flower-power hippies and cultists but I don't think I ever knew how closely it was based on a real group.

Father Earth is almost identical to 'Father Yod' of the Source Family. Not only that but the Dredd story perfectly captures Yod's contradictions, messianic behaviour, increasing insanity, anti-science, apocalypticism and criminal origins.

In addition something happens in the Father Earth story that I thought ludicrously funny when I first read it. I won't spoil either the Dredd story or the documentary but there is a similarly ludicrous event in the history of Father Yod. Again, I found myself laughing.

Also, they move to new territory and are hounded by local police...anyway, several comparisons can be made.

It also gives me a new appreciation for the kind of writing (for impressionable young minds) that tears apart this kind of 'cultist' nonsense...and kicks dust in its face.

Check it out, this documentary is available on Netflix and it's (IMHO) mind blowing. Enjoy!
Trailer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3f4aleOAxo

I read an interview with art droid Bolland in (fanzine) Arkensword back in the early 80's, & if I remember correctly, he says he modelled Father Earth on himself, since he sympathised with the 'green' point of view rather than Dredd's world view.

Dash Decent

Quote from: The Cosh on 11 September, 2014, 12:03:13 AM
Good one. Hopefully you can get a royalty on that if Abnett tries to sneak it in.

Maybe I should come up with a huge list so no matter what Mr Abnett does I can claim I thought of it first.  Okay, go!

1. Edward Woofwoof.
2. Er....

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

ming

Quote from: Dash Decent on 11 September, 2014, 12:25:22 PM

Maybe I should come up with a huge list so no matter what Mr Abnett does I can claim I thought of it first.  Okay, go!

1. Edward Woofwoof.
2. Er....

On a slightly related note, it was only recently that I learned why Edward Woodward has so many Ds in his name...

[spoiler]Because otherwise he'd be called Ewar Woowar. :D[/spoiler]

Skullmo

Quote from: ming on 11 September, 2014, 12:31:42 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 11 September, 2014, 12:25:22 PM

1. Edward Woofwoof.
2. Er....

On a slightly related note, it was only recently that I learned why Edward Woodward has so many Ds in his name...

[spoiler]Because otherwise he'd be called Ewar Woowar. :D[/spoiler]

what do you call a man with 3 wooden heads?
It's a joke. I was joking.

Dash Decent

Or even, do you know what you call a man balancing four planks on his head?
[spoiler]No?  Well Edward Woodward would![/spoiler]
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

radiator

Only very recently twigged that the record shop in High Fidelity - Championship Vinyl - is a pun on 'Championship Final'.

In my defence I've only ever seen the (Americanised) film. And I hate football.

Also, obligatory:

Nothing goes over my head.

My reflexes are too fast.

I would catch them.