Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassstanley

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 October, 2014, 02:36:58 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 September, 2014, 01:35:48 PM
Sorry JBC.  Maybe you can use this one instead:

What do you call a woman with a boat tied to her?
[spoiler]Maude.[/spoiler]
Failing that, how good are you at putting on other accents?
I still don't get this one. What sort of accent do you need?

Try Winston Churchill?

I could never understand the 'better jaw, jaw, war, war' thing until done in that accent( ie don't pronnounce the Rs)

see also the current Kingdom Js Back/Bach, if you use the Loch 'ch' it doesn't work either  ;)
DDT did a job on me

Ancient Otter

Quote from: sauchie co-op on 09 September, 2014, 11:20:28 PM

I'd never heard of Rampa or noticed the recurrence of the name until I read Wolk's blog - I'm sure I just thought it was a funny MC1 name, and it strikes me that might be just as likely an explanation of the apparent fascination as any possible Grant/Wagner interest in mysticism. One mention I did notice after reading Wolk's blog was a road sign reading Lobsang Ramp in the Wagner/Burns Megazine Dredd story Sleaze:

Quote"Satan" has a brief sequence involving one Lobsang Gump. That first name has shown up a few times over the years in Dredd-universe stories (including one of the Branch Moronians, and the more recent "Lobsang Rampage"); it has to be a reference to the dubious British mysticist Lobsang Rampa

http://dreddreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/judge-anderson-psi-division-shamballa.html

As for the other new-to-this-survey material here: "Lobsang Rampage"--another Lobsang Rampa joke!--isn't great, but it's the only Andy Clarke-drawn episode that's not part of a longer arc (although it calls on the Nero Narcos stuff for context)

http://dreddreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/mega-city-masters-03.html

Would Lobsang Rampa also a reference to or even just a influence on the name of the character Lobster Random? Or just pure coincidence?

Dash Decent

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 October, 2014, 07:19:50 AM
... but everyone knows that one, no?

A man you find in the letterbox? [spoiler]Bill.[/spoiler]
A man you find on your doorstep? [spoiler]Matt.[/spoiler]
A man you find hanging on your wall? [spoiler]Art.[/spoiler]
A man with a seagull on his head? [spoiler]Cliff.[/spoiler]
A man with 20 rabbits up his bum (or nose, depending on audience)? [spoiler]Warren.[/spoiler]
A lady with only one leg? [spoiler]Eileen[/spoiler].
A Japanese lady with only one leg? [spoiler]Irene.[/spoiler]
A woman you see in the distance? [spoiler]Dot.[/spoiler]
A woman with sausages on her head? [spoiler]Barbie.[/spoiler]
A man with a shovel through his head? [spoiler]Doug.[/spoiler]
A man without a shovel through his head? [spoiler]Douglas.[/spoiler]
A man with no knees?[spoiler] Neil[/spoiler]
A man you find under a car? [spoiler]Jack.[/spoiler]
A man lifting crates onto a ship? [spoiler]Derek.[/spoiler]
A woman lying on a tennis court? [spoiler]Annette.[/spoiler]
A man dressed in a brown paper suit? [spoiler]Russell.[/spoiler]
A forum member with a sense of desperation? [spoiler]Dash Decent.[/spoiler]

Thus ends my career as a thread hijacker.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Proudhuff on 06 October, 2014, 07:04:14 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 06 October, 2014, 02:36:58 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 September, 2014, 01:35:48 PM
Sorry JBC.  Maybe you can use this one instead:

What do you call a woman with a boat tied to her?
[spoiler]Maude.[/spoiler]
Failing that, how good are you at putting on other accents?
I still don't get this one. What sort of accent do you need?
Try Winston Churchill?
Aha! Remember the fun we had when the tagline on the Meg was: He is the Gore.
We never really die.

Dandontdare

you missed the woman with a pint of lager balanced on her head - [spoiler]Beatrix[/spoiler]

Frank

Judge Dredd: Hard Day's Night, prog 1339 (5/7/2003), by Morrison, Goddard, Teague, Blythe:

So what's the story here? I'm working my way through progs from 2003, and I've previously seen the names of former boarders Mogzilla and [spoiler]Scojo[/spoiler] scrawled across walls and used as names of businesses. Was Tharg auctioning-off mentions for charity, or were creators just trying to curry favour with the squeakiest wheels on the relatively new phenomenon of message boards? Can I look forward to a shoot-out in the TordelBack Hottie House involving the Professor Bear Block Y-Dults?

I would have read those names at the time without having a clue who/what they referred to, since at that time The Internet was something my brother had to sneak me into his university and give me a loan of his login to access.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: sauchie welfare on 19 October, 2014, 02:51:07 PM

Judge Dredd: Hard Day's Night, prog 1339 (5/7/2003), by Morrison, Goddard, Teague, Blythe:

So what's the story here? I'm working my way through progs from 2003, and I've previously seen the names of former boarders Mogzilla and [spoiler]Scojo[/spoiler] scrawled across walls and used as names of businesses. Was Tharg auctioning-off mentions for charity, or were creators just trying to curry favour with the squeakiest wheels on the relatively new phenomenon of message boards? Can I look forward to a shoot-out in the TordelBack Hottie House involving the Professor Bear Block Y-Dults?

I would have read those names at the time without having a clue who/what they referred to, since at that time The Internet was something my brother had to sneak me into his university and give me a loan of his login to access.

That episode, if memory serves, also has a panel in a corridor where the names of many boarders from that time are scrawled on the wall.

Frank

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 October, 2014, 03:13:44 PM
That episode, if memory serves, also has a panel in a corridor where the names of many boarders from that time are scrawled on the wall.

You do have a good memory, Rich. Saw this plethora of fan-wanking as I read on, but didn't want to double-post. Spurrier had been published by this point, but Barney says Arthur Wyatt was still just a fanboy like Jayzus B Christ (two mentions):

Lobo Baggins

Not actually 2000AD related, but I always knew that this * was called an asterisk,  but it made me grin like a loon to find † is called an obelisk...

*Nothing to see here, move along

I won't tell you again...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Frank

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 October, 2014, 03:49:04 PM
http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=4947.0

Cheers, Rich. Is that Molcher (longmanshort) moaning about not being in 2000ad? Haunting message boards in the early 21st century appears to have been a great way to get your work into the prog - I can't wait to read the serialisation of Hawkmonger's manga epic about polysexual deep sea divers in prog 2024.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sauchie welfare on 19 October, 2014, 03:25:42 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 October, 2014, 03:13:44 PM

You do have a good memory, Rich. Saw this plethora of fan-wanking as I read on, but didn't want to double-post. Spurrier had been published by this point, but Barney says Arthur Wyatt was still just a fanboy like Jayzus B Christ (two mentions):

While it wasn't quite up there with Goaty's silver screen scrawls, I was chuffed. I had kind of begged him for it on the forum, to be fair
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Theblazeuk

Old hat for many of you I am sure but where is Goaty (and any other forumlings) visible in Dredd?

Hawkmumbler