Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 20 October, 2014, 07:39:01 PM
Old hat for many of you I am sure but where is Goaty (and any other forumlings) visible in Dredd?

JOE SOAP's ugly mug can be seen on a billboard at the side of the skedway, Command Forces is part of the on-screen ticker during the news footage of disorder at the start of the film, Radiator is the radiator to which Kay is cuffed, and that bit of squiggly graffiti you can't quite make out says sauchie. Nobody is sure where Goaty was mentioned, and it's never been discussed here.

Theblazeuk

QuoteRadiator is the radiator to which Kay is cuffed

;) Surely...

radiator

I only realised embarrassingly recently that Kevin Rahm (Mad Men's Ted Chaough) is actually not just a very (very) well-preserved James Spader.

I mean, it's not just me who think that they look uncannily similar is it? (*Googles* apparently not, phew).

Frank

Given the shiny suits of the period, he reminded me of Commander Straker from UFO:

A.Cow

Was just re-reading Portrait of a Mutant, which features the Kreelers' symbol prominently -- vertical box with an X through.  However, I realised that I don't actually know what the vertical box is supposed to represent.  Presumably mutation but how?

No thermometers?
No hotdogs?
No Nintendo Wiis?

Please could someone put me out of my misery?

NapalmKev

Quote from: A.Cow on 12 April, 2015, 06:50:20 AM
Was just re-reading Portrait of a Mutant, which features the Kreelers' symbol prominently -- vertical box with an X through.  However, I realised that I don't actually know what the vertical box is supposed to represent.  Presumably mutation but how?

No thermometers?
No hotdogs?
No Nintendo Wiis?

I think it's supposed to represent a strand of Mutant DNA.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Hawkmumbler

A lot of people in Yorkshire have vertical letterboxes. That explains where all Britain's mutants are then.

Lobo Baggins

No thermometers?
No hotdogs?
No Nintendo Wiis?

Looks a bit like the Norse rune Iar, 'serpent'.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 12 April, 2015, 12:07:19 PM

...which is used to represent the dragon Nidhogg, which is also the term used for someone with no honour, the other word for which (Nīþ) became the Old English word nithe, which in modern English is...

Hate.

There you go... either Strontium Dog is much, much deeper than we thought or it's an absolutely massive but nevertheless utterly brilliant coincidence!

Jacqusie

At 40 years young, I only just got Adam Ant this year...

*sigh*

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 12 April, 2015, 12:26:16 PM
Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 12 April, 2015, 12:07:19 PM

...which is used to represent the dragon Nidhogg, which is also the term used for someone with no honour, the other word for which (Nīþ) became the Old English word nithe, which in modern English is...

Hate.

Have you played the game, you can get it on Steam.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: glassstanley on 16 March, 2014, 02:39:45 PM
Here's one that's still going over my head. Not because of a double-meaning, but because it's only ever been printed and not said out loud. Did the Sovs have Strato-'vees' or Strato-'fives'?

Necroposting somewhat...

I always assumed that the name was a reference to the guitars the Fender Stratocaster and the Gibson Flying V so it's always been 'Strato Vee' for me..

Dash Decent

Perhaps it's Cyclops from the X-men's visor (= mutant) crossed out (= no mutants) and turned sideways (= please don't sue us, Marvel).
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Fungus

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 25 May, 2015, 07:23:37 PM
Quote from: glassstanley on 16 March, 2014, 02:39:45 PM
Here's one that's still going over my head. Not because of a double-meaning, but because it's only ever been printed and not said out loud. Did the Sovs have Strato-'vees' or Strato-'fives'?

Necroposting somewhat...

I always assumed that the name was a reference to the guitars the Fender Stratocaster and the Gibson Flying V so it's always been 'Strato Vee' for me..

Always been "Vee" for me, but hard one to prove without TB Grover on-hand. What slightly punctures this theory is that SATURN V was definitely "5".