Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

This is just like Busieks Supeman: Secret Identity. :D

Dash Decent

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 April, 2017, 09:14:15 PM
Hold it there now hoss, Bernard Manning you ain't.

I just meant he's got no hair to get in the way.  Nothing else.  I've always thought Dredd's hair must be really worn down with the constant (23 hours 50 mins) a day of wearing such a tight helmet.  And remember all the "it looks too big!" comments when we first saw Urban's more realistically-sized helmet.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

positronic

Does Joe Dredd even have hair? How do we know, was it shown (from the back of his head, obviously) somewhere? Maybe it would make more sense if his head was shaved?

Smith

Didnt notice it the first time;one of the opening quotes in Nikolai Dante is atributed to "The Kama Sutra" translated by Richard Burton.:/

Dash Decent

Sir Richard Burton was the translator of the Kama Sutra.  He's a different Richard Burton to the one that married Elizabeth Taylor.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Smith

Well,in my defense,there are a lot of people with that name,so its easy to get confused.  :)

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 09 April, 2017, 02:48:05 PM
Sir Richard Burton was the translator of the Kama Sutra.  He's a different Richard Burton to the one that married Elizabeth Taylor.

Both pale beside this one:

Smith

Smith

I guess this is a good place to ask as any.So a Kenny Who? related question-the bit about the company using a droid to reproduce Who's art is obviously a jab at another artist,but who?(pun not intended)Which American artist of the time was copying Cam Kennedy?

positronic

Quote from: Smith on 15 April, 2017, 05:07:02 PM
I guess this is a good place to ask as any.So a Kenny Who? related question-the bit about the company using a droid to reproduce Who's art is obviously a jab at another artist,but who?(pun not intended)Which American artist of the time was copying Cam Kennedy?

But this is before Cam Kennedy's actual American-published work, by some years, wasn't it? And I can't recall who was first to publish (not reprint) him in America. Had to be prior to Dark Horse's Star Wars, I think, so maybe DC?

I remember thinking that the Star Wars thing was what gained Cam Kennedy real acceptance by the Amercan market, though. Before that, he was too far from mainstream acceptability for the US. Which is why it seems odd to me that an American artist should be copying his style, if it wasn't that popular in America prior to Star Wars.

Smith

Kenny who is a bit of a take on the authors own attempts to break into American comics.So Kennedy probably recognized his style in somebodies work.
And even if it isnt always obvious,people at Big 2 were familiar with 2000ad.Take for example that odd period when every superhero adopted Zeniths style of jacket over costume.Granted Paradax did it first,but you know what I meant.

positronic

Quote from: Smith on 15 April, 2017, 05:35:57 PM
Kenny who is a bit of a take on the authors own attempts to break into American comics.So Kennedy probably recognized his style in somebodies work.
And even if it isnt always obvious,people at Big 2 were familiar with 2000ad.Take for example that odd period when every superhero adopted Zeniths style of jacket over costume.Granted Paradax did it first,but you know what I meant.

Oh definitely. Sometimes it has nothing to do with trying to copy something popular in an attempt to boost your own popularity. Sometimes its even the opposite, where the influenced artist seizes on a lesser-known's style in order to 're-invent' himself somewhat, figuring no one's going to catch it because the artist being copied in less popular in the copyist's marketplace. I remember Keith Giffen got bagged by The Comics Journal for copying... who's the euro artist? Jose' Munoz? I've forgotten now.

Not

BPP

Cam tells the story about Kenny Who being all about a joke about a big two editor not knowing who he was and when introduced shouting 'Kenny Who?' at Wagner / him. This was when the Americans were looking to raid the UK talent pool and Wagner / Grant / Kennedy were pitching for a deal. He never mentioned the copying element so doubt that was part of the real-life contribution to the story.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Smith

Yes,it did.The same company made a droid that imitated Who's artwork.Which send him on an axe rampage and confrontation with Judge Dredd.
Beyond our Kenny;Meg #1-3

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Smith on 15 April, 2017, 05:35:57 PM
Kenny who is a bit of a take on the authors own attempts to break into American comics.

BBC interview with Cam Kennedy

Wagner and Grant had pitched a story idea to DC Comics, which Kennedy would draw.

After initial keen interest, Kennedy said that the trio struggled to get confirmation that the strip was going ahead.

Kennedy said: "This was in the 80s when you had to try and reach people by phone. You couldn't text or email someone directly.

"Eventually it was decided one of us should go to New York and confront Denny O'Neil, a writer and editor mainly of Batman stories, about our pitch.

"It was me - the one furthest from the main airports and who had to take a ferry and then drive to Glasgow - who was picked to go.

"When I finally got to DC Comics, I was pointed down a corridor to O'Neil's office. This guy with braces holding up his troosers came out of the office just before I reached it.

"I asked him if he was Denny O'Neil and then told him I was Cam Kennedy from Scotland. He just looked at me and said "Kenny Who?"

Greatly amused, Wagner and Grant went on to write Kenny Who? as a character. In one strip, he travels to Mega-City One from the Caledonian Hab Zone (Calhab) in Scotland.

Kennedy said: "Kenny Who? ends up in jail and his wife and two kids then come over and confront Dredd. One of Kenny's kids pees on Dredd."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-19014995